News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

I can see now - TM275LHW install 19HT

Started by miruhai, July 11, 2023, 10:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miruhai

This is a little embarrassing to admit, since tuna fishing is a high stakes type game given the costs and rewards involved, but for the past 3-4 seasons, I've been running blind and can only mark fish when going less than 5mph (lowrance totalscan). Finally picked up the TM275LHW last October in the middle of the BFT season in N. CA and there was a small chance of it being installed before the season ended. Work and BFT got in the way and finally was able to get it installed this past week -- just as the BFT started showing up.

The hoof has just enough room to fit when all the other moving parts do their thing. A motor upgrade might be an issue, but I'll deal with that in 5-10 years.

I haven't tested it OTW yet so the 4200 hasn't been used. I'll give it a try this weekend and hopefully will be able to mark fish while going madmac speed so that I can sit on them. 

miruhai

Posted in the wrong forum - please move this to Electronics

christianbrat

you can get some insane rockfishing spots now too.. you'll know everything down there
1989 Sea Explorer 16 w/ Custom Pilot House
2007 Honda BF90 & 2002 BF5
Built not Bought

If I could be an appliance I would be a toaster

agoodhi

great, now there will be even less BFT for this weekend warrior to catch  :facepalm:  :jester:
'04 SR 17 | '04 Yami F115 (Apollo XHS SS 13-3/8x15) | SeaStar HC5345 | '22 Suzuki DF9.9 | OTH Pilothouse | FishOn River/Sport Arch | Lenco 9x12 tabs | Garmin Stuff | Pacific Trailer

headduck

Sure is a nice swim step. Amazing how big those are. :beerchug:
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

miruhai

Quote from: christianbrat on July 11, 2023, 10:30:18 AMyou can get some insane rockfishing spots now too.. you'll know everything down there

Good to know. Been RF since salmon is closed and found a productive area. It would be nice to mark more areas when moving around.

Quote from: agoodhi on July 11, 2023, 11:16:37 AMgreat, now there will be even less BFT for this weekend warrior to catch  :facepalm:  :jester:

Fellow weekend warrior here - just have plenty of PTO. I usually catch the small ones so the bigger models are all yours!  :beerchug:

Kimbrey

I have the same unit except it's a thru-hull.  I do have issues as I gain speed and or rpm so the transducer location is poor.  IE it's mounted alongside an engine stringer and directly under the alternator so I get an electronic noise and possibly a harmonic from the Volvo.  Anyway it's great for me at tuna troll speed with the wide beam angle.  It does well marking in high frequency as deep as I want to look.  700' to 800'.  Hardly use the low side anymore.  I was told by a Furuno USA tech that I know to turn the gain up until it's dirty, then turn it up some more.  After that try to clean things up with the clutter control.  It works but I do drop the gain down a lot when at cruise speed.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

Capt Bones

Quote from: miruhai on July 11, 2023, 10:19:51 AMI haven't tested it OTW yet so the 4200 hasn't been used. I'll give it a try this weekend and hopefully will be able to mark fish while going madmac speed so that I can sit on them. 

Howdy Jack,

I know this is an older thread but I'd be interested in learning a few things from you. I just bought the same transducer (with the Furuno 10 pin connection). Obviously, this thing is big & heavy. Probably 4 lbs. I'm wondering how you attached the mounting plate. Did you use only the screws? Or did you do any through-bolting?

Also wondering how it performs, did you have to adjust the height any from that which is recommended in the installation manual?

Thanks much,  Mark

miruhai

Quote from: Capt Bones on January 10, 2024, 04:01:35 PM
Quote from: miruhai on July 11, 2023, 10:19:51 AMI haven't tested it OTW yet so the 4200 hasn't been used. I'll give it a try this weekend and hopefully will be able to mark fish while going madmac speed so that I can sit on them. 

Howdy Jack,

I know this is an older thread but I'd be interested in learning a few things from you. I just bought the same transducer (with the Furuno 10 pin connection). Obviously, this thing is big & heavy. Probably 4 lbs. I'm wondering how you attached the mounting plate. Did you use only the screws? Or did you do any through-bolting?

Also wondering how it performs, did you have to adjust the height any from that which is recommended in the installation manual?

Thanks much,  Mark

I used the provided screws and countersink bit (or reverse drill the bit first instead of buying a bit).

The install was aggressive so it sits rather low to try to get a better reading. I'd set up the 2 vertical holes so that they give you the most flexibility to move down until you find a position that you like. Once you're okay with the install, add the goop and 5th screw. I made about 3 adjustments and finally just moved it as low as I could. This was a vid I saw a few years ago that I used as reference for the install:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i15P5TV4tw

Being able to locate bluefin when slow trolling can be done with any transducer. I was hoping to locate them while either running or fast trolling. So far, the results are decent - I guess I was expecting more or better readings. Here are some images of bluefin being marked while going 11-13 mph. The marking isn't as clean as what you would see if slow trolling and you have to make assumptions that they're the right type, but at least it gives you an idea that you should target that area.

GregE

OK,  I have the same TM style Transducer- rated 500W if memory serves.  Mount looks different though. 
I don't ID fish at higher troll speed and cruise.  I've fiddled with settings but I know the system should work better.

Anybody know someone in the Olympia area I can tap for some tuning help?

BTW top pictures look like the trim tab will touch the 'ducer pin.

SL22 holes:  washdown, drain, bait tank pick up,  deck drain with flap, engine well
Ducer.jpg
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Yachter Yat

miruhai:  What?.....Another "pasta plastered" transom? Sorry.:facepalm: Maybe it's just me, but I see the potential for signal interference from the turbulence created by that trim tab. Why not make it simple, and just glue that ducer to the inside of the hull with LifeSeal? :shrug9:  I don't get it. Guess I'll never understand it.

Yat 
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

christianbrat

Yat, temp is extremely important for fishing... Especially Tuna!!!  plus im not sure a shoot-through would have a chance at picking up fish at 13mph.. Those tabs will not cause issues. my engine at full lock is .25" from my ducer, and my tab is .25" away on the other side. 0 issues great readings
Built not Bought

ak-angler

Quote from: Yachter Yat on January 18, 2024, 06:43:46 AM... Why not make it simple, and just glue that ducer to the inside of the hull with LifeSeal? :shrug9:  I don't get it. Guess I'll never understand it.

I ran two transom mount 'ducers mounted shoot-through-hull style on my Arima. They were inexpensive low powered units and the system worked pretty well.

However... There's no way I'd run a very expensive high-powered (read ... runs hot) 'ducer any other way than it was designed. That is, the TM275LHW NEEDS to be transom mounted. Run it out of the water and it will burn up rather quickly.

No, thanks.
1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

Yachter Yat

I'll respond to both CB and AK:

CB:  I'm not sure what your experience has been, but my in-hull mounted transducers had no problem measuring water temperature. Maybe my opinion, but that thin hull is probably as close to the water temperature as you would need to know.

AK:  As far as overheating a transducer is concerned; I never experienced a problem with that either......at least here in the North Atlantic. I suppose it may be a concern in some of the warmer climes. Just as an example:  My sister-in-law's stepson has a winter place in South Florida. The water down there can oftentimes hit 90 degrees....especially in the summer.  So, would that be a problem? I don't really know, but I suppose taking a short ride 3 towns over, to the Airmar headquarters, would get me the answer. :shrug9:
  I can tell you this:  Even on the hottest days off our Coast, reaching down and touching the inside of my hull will cool you down.  :jester:     

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

miruhai

Bluefin tuna fishing is a high stakes game - both in terms of money and time invested. Placing the TM275 inside the hull to  make it a trailer queen? I'm not about to make my boat famous and become the guy that did that.  :facepalm:

A decent option is to swap it out for the B175w, but I'd rather not drill a hole through the hull.

Yachter Yat

Quote from: miruhai on January 18, 2024, 07:44:31 PMBluefin tuna fishing is a high stakes game - both in terms of money and time invested.

miruhai:  C'mon, loosen-up, it's only money.:shrug9:  That said, I learned long ago, we should never develop a taste for "champagne" on a "beer wallet". Ha    BTW, maybe it's just me, but if I were chasing tuna, I wouldn't be in favor of transducers sticking out behind the transom like that.  With my luck, it's likely, the first "irate mackerel" hooked would find a way to send it into orbit. :jester: Also wanted to say:  You shouldn't have to drill and install a thru-hull transducer. I've done 4 "shoot thru-hull" installs on my boats and never had a problem relating to any of the issues mentioned in our discussion.

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

christianbrat

Quote from: Yachter Yat on January 18, 2024, 04:32:18 PMCB:  I'm not sure what your experience has been, but my in-hull mounted transducers had no problem measuring water temperature. Maybe my opinion, but that thin hull is probably as close to the water temperature as you would need to know.
Yat

its well known a shoot through ducer does not read temps accurately. there's no argument that's just how it works; the transducer is surrounded by air in a closed compartment reading that temp, not the temp of the water thats is on the other side of air and .25in of fiberglass. most shoot through manuals state this, and recommend a separate temp sensor to be mounted extrenally below the waterline.

unfortunately your opinion and the opinion of the fish we target vary greatly
Built not Bought

Yachter Yat

CB:  Sorry, but I must respectfully disagree.  I don't honestly believe you would see a difference in water temp of perhaps more than one or two degrees between a transducer mounted on the transom vs. one glued to the bilge; especially if it were glued with a 'thin' layer of adhesive, such as mine was. To verify this, you might consider taping a thermometer at the bottom center of your bilge and compare that to whatever you're seeing on your electronic device.  :shrug9:

BTW, this was the last transducer I installed on my Arima when swapping the Loran for the new Raynav GPS/FF.  I glued it with a thin layer of LifeSeal. That thing worked perfectly. Great resolution and never failed to lock-on (and stay locked-on) at any speed. I had it glued somewhere around a foot behind the bilge pump. And yes, it gave me temp, which (by way of being close to touching the bottom of the hull), I couldn't imagine being much more than a degree or so from actual water temp.

See here: https://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/airmar/product-22646-104521.html 

Just so you understand; most of our angling wasn't in much deeper water than 300 feet or so....usually less. It's not that I couldn't afford a more powerful transducer, I simply couldn't see the benefit, or justify the expense. YMMV, of course. BTW, I also have to disagree with you about fish necessarily having an "opinion"......they just want to swallow whatever the hell looks appetizing. :jester: 

Yat

16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

christianbrat

1 or 2 degrees is a MASSIVE change. you dont have to believe anything i say
Built not Bought

Yachter Yat

All you want to know is the water temp.....right?  Okay. Then maybe you could give some consideration to what I suggested about taping a thermometer in your bilge. If, for example, your machine reads 55, and the bilge thermometer reads 56, then you can believe whichever you want. :jester:

Yat 
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Capt Bones

Quote from: miruhai on January 17, 2024, 05:56:48 PM
Quote from: Capt Bones on January 10, 2024, 04:01:35 PM

Howdy Jack,

Thanks much,  Mark

I used the provided screws and countersink bit (or reverse drill the bit first instead of buying a bit).

The install was aggressive so it sits rather low to try to get a better reading. I'd set up the 2 vertical holes so that they give you the most flexibility to move down until you find a position that you like. Once you're okay with the install, add the goop and 5th screw. I made about 3 adjustments and finally just moved it as low as I could. This was a vid I saw a few years ago that I used as reference for the install:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i15P5TV4tw

Being able to locate bluefin when slow trolling can be done with any transducer. I was hoping to locate them while either running or fast trolling. So far, the results are decent - I guess I was expecting more or better readings. Here are some images of bluefin being marked while going 11-13 mph. The marking isn't as clean as what you would see if slow trolling and you have to make assumptions that they're the right type, but at least it gives you an idea that you should target that area.

Thank you for this Hai, I really appreciate it. I may have additional questions for you.

Mark