News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Neah Bay and Cape Flattery fishing

Started by GutZ, July 25, 2016, 05:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GutZ

I was at Snow Creek from July 10 through July 23. I fished everyday except the day I got there and the day I left. I thought it was going to be an epic trip after I had a fish on within 5 minutes! I dropped down a brand new King Slayer on a White Breakaway and this fish in the boat with in 20 minutes. It is always a thrill putting one in the net by yourself!

Well a few days went by and fishing was not epic. Over the entire trip, sometimes two rods, we only boated 6 Chinook. I kind of changed focus and caught a lot of Sea Bass, mostly trolling spoons and a very small blue hootchie. There was so much bait around it sounded like rain at times. All very small. Some of the Sea Bass (ok I know they are Black Rockfish) had two or three still wiggling oin their mouths. This was the best Ling Cod I managed.

I caught this fish in Makah Bay near Anderson Point. The area is south of Strawberry Rock a by 1/2 a mile or so. I was pretty careful keeping in mind the 18 May incident. Amazingly one of those fisherman came by and warned me to stay out from behind Strawberry rock and pointed to this area. I can not believe anyone went back in there!! It is marked on my Lowrance chart as FOUL and shows a multitude of rocks. Even with 4 feet at 11 seconds it looked like death. I think saying the incident was behind Strawberry rock doesn't really describe where they were. I should of taken a picture.

I did take a load of pictures of Cape Flattery. I went through 10 National Parks in June and I can easily say that this area is one of the most incredible places in the US.

Mushroom Rock

End of the Trail

Would you go through?

Fuca Pillar and Scagway rocks
/URL]

I got a lot of of Arima pictures. Maybe you?
[URL=http://s1179.photobucket.com/user/GutZ211/media/Neah%20Bay%202016/IMG_20160717_064946_zpsjsuidqo6.jpg.html]

I really like staying at Snow Creek. Seems that it might be a bit of a struggle for Jake as he does not have the docks in this year so no moorage. It is a beautiful place. Consider it next time you are out there. They have two areas, lower and upper. I prefer upper as I can spread out a bit. I camp yard sale style when I don't have to worry about getting eaten by Bears.

These guys showed up on Friday and were welcome for sure ;)

Seal and Sail Rock and the end of the walkway to the docks (from upper campground)

Until next time!
It's always good to have a plan.
It's always better to have a good plan.

Markshoreline

Nice report, Jeff.  Too bad the salmon weren't all there, but that first one was a nice little piggie.  Great pics, I love that place.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Kyle

That's me and my buddies in the 21 skip top. Looks like you had a good time. We scratched some fish out  but we had to work for them this year.

HemiGTX

Beautiful pictures, and that's a dandy King. Was the water that perfect the entire time?!  Every time I fish NB the water reminds me of the opening scenes of Gilligan's Island.

Did you do any offshore fishing?  Is anything coming from Swiftsure?

I'm sitting here in HI chomping at the bit to get home before the season closes.
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

GutZ

You would have to be crazy to go to Swiftsure in a 15'11" Sea Chaser.
I only went once and it was shaker day :jester:

Peddler

Looks like a fun trip!  When you stay at Snow Creek, do you moor/launch at Big Salmon?
Wishin' I was Fishin'

HemiGTX

AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

GutZ

That is what I did this time. Works out pretty well. Only a 5 minute drive.

Snow Creek's docks were , let's say, challenging.  One day last Summer the swell was 10' and quite a bit of it was getting around Seal Rock,The Sea Kitten got hammered, cleats loose, lines cut etc. not too mention trying to walk around.
Wasn't there an Arima sunk there in a Seiche https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seiche ?

I guess there was an issue with permitting. Had to pull most mooring buoys as they were anchored with old engine blocks. Rumor's abounded.

I even heard the State may be considering a breakwater. That would be sweet.