News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Are 9x9 Lencos big enough for a 16SC?

Started by Fisherdv, January 23, 2018, 07:30:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishmiester

On my 17 chaser I installed 9x9 smarties. Lencoes from Amazon. The boat is powered by a 90 Tohatsu tldi. Previous owner had a whale tale on it. The tabs made all the difference in the world. Much softer ride, quicker to plane at slower speeds, and able to stay on plane in rough water. I did set the tension one hole stronger on the side that the kicker is on. Would never go back to a whale tail.Just my :twocents:
If it swims, Ill  chase it
84 17' Seachaser, 2010 90hp Tohatsu tldi, BF15 Honda Custom welded kicker bracket.#lovethisboat

Fisherdv

Quote from: fishmiester on January 29, 2018, 03:34:28 PM
On my 17 chaser I installed 9x9 smarties. Lencoes from Amazon. The boat is powered by a 90 Tohatsu tldi. Previous owner had a whale tale on it. The tabs made all the difference in the world. Much softer ride, quicker to plane at slower speeds, and able to stay on plane in rough water. I did set the tension one hole stronger on the side that the kicker is on. Would never go back to a whale tail.Just my :twocents:
Do you mean smart tabs? Those are made by Nauticus
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

fishmiester

Ooops my bad. Your absolutely right. They are Nauticus.  :doh: I looked at both. I do like the way they work. I would liked to have controlable tabs, but just didn't have the extra$$. Next big upgrade will probably be Hyd. steering.  Guess I am guilty of "fake news"
If it swims, Ill  chase it
84 17' Seachaser, 2010 90hp Tohatsu tldi, BF15 Honda Custom welded kicker bracket.#lovethisboat

Fisherdv

I think I'm going to go with the 9Lx12W Lencos. If I run into transducer space issues I could always shoot the ducer through the hull, although I should have the room as is, but not by much. I hope the ducer reads bottom ok at speed, as the tab and the ducer will only be about an inch or two apart. I don't have a kicker motor yet, bet probably will in the future and I think the larger 9x12 tabs will have a better lift to deflection ratio than the 9x9's. :twocents:

J Chaser

Sea Chaser 1511, Yamaha F70, Yamaha F6 kicker

Fisherdv

Thx J., from the pics you posted it looks like we have the same transducer. I'm able to read bottom at WOT now. When you fully deploy your tabs does your boat submarine the bow?

J Chaser

Oh yeah, you need to be careful with them. I usually set them at about 1/2 for a great hole shot, and feather from there.

They virtually eliminate porpoising, which used to drive me nuts.

J.

Fisherdv

I figured with a 9x12 we'd only be using very little, to half deployment

Yachter Yat

J;  I don't have trim tabs and I've never experience porpoising with my 16 SC.  Maybe a weight distribution thing?  :shrug9:

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

I get some porpoising with mine unless trim is tucked. I had a 17ft Bayliner that porpoises real bad with out the whale tail on it. That was another one that was short, and fat, with a heavy rear end  :whistle:

J Chaser

Porpoising was bad on mine. Could be the 2 batteries, fuel tank, 4 stroke and kicker?

J.

AJFishin

Fisherdv, do you have a bait tank?
If you don't have one, you might want to also consider you might get one in the future and where the pick up will be placed, if you're going to run 12" tabs.

Just another thought before you get everything set up.

'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Fisherdv

Quote from: AJFishin on January 31, 2018, 04:24:39 PM
If you don't have one, you might want to also consider you might get one in the future and where the pick up will be placed, if you're going to run 12" tabs.

I did think about that. I would probably have enough room on the port side, between the tab and the drain plug. Is that where you put yours? If you happen to have a pic of where you put yours that would be great. I know you've been considering tabs also for a while. I will definitely let you know how I like them :beerchug:

AJFishin

Quote from: Fisherdv on January 31, 2018, 04:34:04 PM
Quote from: AJFishin on January 31, 2018, 04:24:39 PM

I did think about that. I would probably have enough room on the port side, between the tab and the drain plug. Is that where you put yours? If you happen to have a pic of where you put yours that would be great. I know you've been considering tabs also for a while. I will definitely let you know how I like them :beerchug:

Here's where my pump is located, but as you can see it's a transom mounted pump next to my aircraft carrier of a transducer. :facepalm:
If I was to get the tabs, I would do a thur hull with the pump on the inside.

Fisherdv

If you did decide to add tabs you could move the ducer just to the right of the drain plug and move your pump like you said. I use a cooler that I rigged with an air pump for now for bait. Not the best, but it works

Fisherdv

Here's a couple pics of the 9x12, and the 9x9 Lenco trim tabs for comparison. Top pic is 9x12, bottom pic is of the 9x9. If I can ever make up my mind on which ones I want to use  :doh: I'll be returning the other ones. Im leaning towards the 9x12 because of the lift to drag ratio. The 9x12 wouldn't have to be deployed as far down as the 9x9 to create lift and thus should create less "drag" than the 9x9 deployed more. :shrug9:

rasslingref

My vote is 9 x 12.  That is what I have as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1998 19' SR HT 2019 Yamaha 115 2017 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

Yachter Yat

I agree!  As long as they can sit flat and not be interrupted by that radius in the hull.

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

They will sit flat. There's just barely enough room

AJFishin

I say go big with the 12's, they seem to fit just right.

If you get a bait tank later on, I think a thru-hull like Croaker and some others have is a nice way to go.

Fisherdv

Yes, I agree with you guys. I will go with the 9x12's. Just gotta find the time to put them on. Most free weekends I'd rather be out fishing than working in the garage  :gone_fishing: I already have everything I need, 5200, hole saw for LED switch etc.

Fisherdv

For those who may be considering the Lenco LED switch they now have an intergrated, all in one switch. No more separate control box for the switch, it's built in

Yachter Yat

Fisher;  I don't seem to need tabs on my rig.  Although I never got them, years ago I thought of getting a set.  While I was contemplating how I would do the installation, I came up with an idea.  If I remember correctly, the tabs should sit 1/8" above the bottom of the boat.  What I was planning on doing is taking something like a 1X10 board (maybe a foot or so long) and tacking a narrow 1/8" thick strip of wood to the outer edge of it.  Then I was going to hold the board against the bottom of the boat with a jack.  While the board would be against the bottom, the 1/8" strip would be back, and out beyond the bottom.  Working alone would allow me to easily rest the tab plate on that 1/8" strip and mark it.  I felt it would also insure the tabs were dead parallel with the bottom. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

That's a good idea Yat, I'll give that a try. Lenco instructions say 3/8 from bottom so water can flow past when raised all the way up. I mostly fish the bay and the river/delta. In the summer months there's a lot of wind chop making for some very long rides in at 8 mph or less. Weight is not my main concern as I run pretty light most of the time. When I do fish the ocean the small spread out rollers make the boat porpoise. (Think short and fat). So my main reason for the tabs is to keep on plane at a slower speed and to be able to cut through that wind chop more comfortably. Also to help with the porpoising I mentioned. I've read numerous threads on all the different forums about this and almost all say once they have had a boat with tabs they would never own a boat without them. Arimas especially as well as all types of boats.

Fisherdv

I should also say that in the bay when the wind picks up and you have a 10-15 mile ride in being able to stay on plane and not crawl along at trolling speeds is almost essential. The faster you can get in the better. The chop could start out at 1-2 feet and within a very short time become 4-5 feet.  :bigshock: I want to be able to get in as soon as possible and not have to wear a back belt. Some would probably say I got the wrong boat for those conditions but I've been wanting this little Arima for years and I'm very happy with it. If the trim tabs will make a noticeable difference I'm all for it