News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Gloves for handling bait?

Started by Fisherdv, February 18, 2019, 02:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherdv

I usually just use my bare hands when preparing bait or putting bait on the hook. I'm currently fishing for sturgeon and have been told that they can smell human scent on the bait and shy away from it. (I don't know how true this is, because I've caught fish either way) but any advantage is worth a try. Besides, making salmon roe balls and cutting up lamprey eel is quite messy. (I have to eat my lunch or bag of chips at some point). So my main question is, what kind/material gloves would be best so a sturgeon, or any other species wouldn't be turned off? I'm worried latex may make the bait smell like rubber. What do you guys use/recommend?
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

AJFishin

I use 5ml nitrile powder free gloves I get from Harbor Freight when cutting up stinky bait.
Another pair of gloves I use for lobster fishing are these, they have been great for lobsters, not sure how great they would be in your situation, but figure I add them to the list.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BR1CGCQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Hunter

Quote from: Fisherdv on February 18, 2019, 02:20:18 PM
I usually just use my bare hands when preparing bait or putting bait on the hook. I'm currently fishing for sturgeon and have been told that they can smell human scent on the bait and shy away from it. (I don't know how true this is, because I've caught fish either way) but any advantage is worth a try. Besides, making salmon roe balls and cutting up lamprey eel is quite messy. (I have to eat my lunch or bag of chips at some point). So my main question is, what kind/material gloves would be best so a sturgeon, or any other species wouldn't be turned off? I'm worried latex may make the bait smell like rubber. What do you guys use/recommend?

Seems like the powder free latex suggested by AJ would be the ticket for keeping smell off the bait..      Curious, have you ever tried live ghost shrimp tied onto the hooks with red thread?   That was pretty much my go-to Sturgeon bait back in the old days fishing around the mothball fleet / Carquinez Bridge area as well as delta and SF Bay    My biggest Sturgeon was 110lbs caught on ghost shrimp right off the main shipping lanes just south of the bay bridge...   
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Fisherdv

Yes, I've used all the shrimp baits. It seems (for me anyway) the sturgeon like the ghost shrimp in the spring. I used to do really well with Mudshrimp but it's getting very hard to find live nowadays. Salmon roe and eel has been hot lately, atleast it was till these very cold temperatures arrived. As soon as the water temperature rises and the weather stabilizes its gonna be on!  :gone_fishing:

croaker stroker

I used to sell Ghost Shrimp. They make excellent bait for Vermillion Rockfish....or any fish.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

ohmytodd

+1 on the 5mil nitrile at Harbor Freight. I buy a couple of boxes each year for around the house and boat when they have their parking lot sale. Been using them for spring salmon fishing for a few years with no problems (I've put fish in the boat, and supposedly springers can be super finicky to scent).
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

Hunter

WD-40 eliminates human scent and salmon like it. 
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

AJFishin

Quote from: ohmytodd on February 18, 2019, 05:25:47 PM
+1 on the 5mil nitrile at Harbor Freight. I buy a couple of boxes each year for around the house and boat when they have their parking lot sale. Been using them for spring salmon fishing for a few years with no problems (I've put fish in the boat, and supposedly springers can be super finicky to scent).
:yeahthat: on HF parking lot sale, $4.99 a box! Not sure about up there, but down here I believe next month HF will have their parking lot sale. If not keep in eye out for their ad.
They work great :jester:

Sugar_Magnolia

6 or 8 mil nitrile disposable textured gloves seem to hold up better for me. The texture is nice for gripping things. The smooth seem slippery when they get slimy. My wife even gardens in the 8 mil and can make them last over a week. They cost more but don't tear as easy. Some people are allergic to latex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 21' Arima Skip Tower 140 HP Suzuki

croaker stroker

Rub a little of this stuff on your hands...

Rub it on your sinker too. Fish love it. I use it on my plastics and it entices fish to strike a second and third time.

It stinks a little.  :beerchug:

https://www.thelongfin.com/uni-butter-fish-attractant.html

Nice Tree Fish AJ. 👍🏻

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

AJ, are those gloves disposable? Like one time use and toss em?

AJFishin

Thanks CS, that was at Izors and it was a Tree fish kind of day.

Fisher if your talking about the gloves I use for lobster, no they're not disposal.
The ones in the picture are the nitrile gloves which are disposal. I'll use 1or 2 pairs in a day of fishing.
The 5 mil are my go to gloves, I keep a box on board. The gloves also come in handy if you get a nasty cut on your hand and the fishing is to good to call it a day  :jester:

Fisherdv

Thanks. Looks like I'll order some 5 mil nitrile gloves. This will be the very first time I've worn gloves while handling bait.  :bigshock: On the plus side, who knows, I might catch more fish! But one thing I know for sure, my hands won't stink for two days!  :jester:

AJFishin

The gloves are worth it to get, just keep a box on board.
What works for me to get rid of that fishy smell off your hands, but I don't advise doing this all the time. Get one of those finger nail brushes and scrub with some Dawn first, then wash again with Comet cleaner, works pretty good. Just remembered to put some lotion on your hands after wards.

StreamFixer

Interesting discussion...

Gloves have never been a consideration for me. I became an EMT in the '80's just as the blood borne pathogen issues were coming into focus.  Never touch a patient unless you are gloved up.

Found the gloves to be available and cheap - mostly latex then.  Then I started restoring a '58 GMC.  What a mess.

Now I usually pull on a pair of nitrile gloves when doing pretty much every thing in the shop, yard or barn.  The mechanics grade gloves last best and help with grip.

You can reuse the gloves is you take them off carefully (I seldom do) with the caveat that if your hands are damp you will never get the gloves on... fresh ones or used.

Glove up when filleting and cleaning fish, handling bait which often carries over to landing fish...  Just simple easy inexpensive thing to do..

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Sugar_Magnolia

I forgot to add that they are also the best for handling stinky old crab bait. After you are done just toss them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 21' Arima Skip Tower 140 HP Suzuki

StreamFixer

In the trash---  Don't forget to toss them IN THE TRASH  they are not biodegradable...  For sure not over the side... or into the bilge (pump will NOT eat them -- one of those 'asking for a friend' type things   :redface: )

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

croaker stroker

The "recyclables" have historically been shipped to China where they dispose of it as they please.

We need to figure out what to do with all the plastic. China doesn't want it anymore.

Somebody please melt it down and make tackle boxes or something.

....and those damn Mylar balloons.  :berry:  Ban Them !!!

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AJFishin

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on February 19, 2019, 01:33:26 PM
The "recyclables" have historically been shipped to China where they dispose of it as they please.

We need to figure out what to do with all the plastic. China doesn't want it anymore.

Somebody please melt it down and make tackle boxes or something.

....and those damn Mylar balloons.  :berry:  Ban Them !!!

The mylar balloon season is just 4 months away :facepalm:

Rokefin

I always carried gloves in the truck for when I fueled up before going fishing to keep gas smell off my hands.

I think I will do as others mentioned and throw a box in the boat.

jamaica

I agree with Croaker... the balloons should be banned. I always cringe when I see a mass release of them by some group with some cause. Those people should be charged with littering. I feel it's good karma to pick them up when I see them, something good always seems to happen soon afterwards.
1994 19' Sea Ranger 150hp Merc 2stk 9.9hp Yam

Omega3

For cheap disposable one time use gloves I use the Vinyl gloves from the Costco business outlet.150 pairs for 10 bucks.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

Red 22

Guy comes home from fishing with a little romance in is eye. The wife says your not touching me with that smell on your hands. He tries some glove and the romance begins. Next time his fishing buddies go fishing with him he catches a few fish he tells them how fish can smell human (even thought humans have been fishing for thousands of years) and fishermen have been wearing gloves ever since.
Tony

05' Red Legend 22 skip tower, Honda 225, Honda 9.9,  Garmin 740s, Garmin HD 18 radar Garmin GHP10 auto-pilot
"I've always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go.
-Sterling Hayden

AJFishin

Harbor Freight sale on gloves, $4.99 a box .
Expires on 3/17/2019

Fisherdv

Thanks AJ. I already bought some black nitrile gloves. Boy did they come in handy. I just got done making some salmon roe balls for Sturgeon fishing tomorrow. Quite a messy job. Temps in the 70's the next few days. I'm going fishing tomorrow and Saturday  :party017: :gone_fishing: