News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Routing fuel line to kicker

Started by FryFish, April 29, 2024, 09:00:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FryFish

I run my kicker on a portable tank under the port side bait tank. Has anyone run a fuel line through the splashwell to that compartment? Got any pictures? I'm just having a hard time deciding on where to drill and on what fitting to use to cleanly run the line through the wall there.
1998 17' SC -- Sold
2021 17' SC - Suzuki 90hp - Yamaha F8

KEM KAI

My fuel filter is in the splash well and the PO just used the second out port for the kicker. So no need to run a small tank just for the kicker. Is there a reason to run a second small tank for the kicker?

FryFish

Yeah, I really value having a completely independent kicker system. Just a pull start yamaha f8 so nothing else is tied in. But that reminds me of a second question. Are those of you that are running a portable mounting a second fuel water separator for it?
1998 17' SC -- Sold

agoodhi

Quote from: FryFish on April 29, 2024, 09:38:35 AMYeah, I really value having a completely independent kicker system. Just a pull start yamaha f8 so nothing else is tied in. But that reminds me of a second question. Are those of you that are running a portable mounting a second fuel water separator for it?
i do the same for my kicker (independent from main tank). no 2nd fuel/water separator for me. i just make sure to always use fresh fuel for my efi kicker.  my splash well on port side has an access hole (similar to the one on the starboard side for main throttle/fuel lines) to pass the kicker fuel line through to the portable tank under bait tank.  i also use it to route my water pick up plumbing.

i do have the option to use the 2nd output of my main fuel/water separator while on the water.  i just need to quick disconnect from portable and connect to the hose coming from that filter.
'04 SR 17 | '04 Yami F115 (Apollo XHS SS 13-3/8x15) | SeaStar HC5345 | '22 Suzuki DF9.9 | OTH Pilothouse | FishOn River/Sport Arch | Lenco 9x12 tabs | Garmin Stuff | Pacific Trailer

KEM KAI

Just wondered about separate tank for kicker.  My kicker would be only for problem with main motor so separate tank would hopefully never be used.  I have tank side connections for both motors all the same. Both fuel filter outputs and all my tanks have the same out connection so able to interchange. I removed the stock tank and replaced with 4/6 gal. portables so have lots of choices with a 3-way valve. Two hoses so easy to quick change between tanks. Reason for removing main was for access to drain plug area and back of tank.  Had a small fish fall behind the main tank and didn't know. Found out when it started to rot and smell.

Dai20bt

What are pros/cons for using separate fuel tanks? My kicker is sharing primary tank with main motor. Kicker fuel hose routed through port side cable hole in splash well, across and above main tank towards starboard, connected to house battery. The length of fuel hose is just right so that it hugs the top ceiling of main gas tank.
1987 17' Sea Ranger ("Fresh Catch")
2023 Yamaha 90 vmax sho, 14x15 turbo 1 SS prop
2015 Tohatsu 9.8
(Sold) 2000 Yamaha F115 4-stroke
(Died) 1999 Evinrude Ficht 115hp

Redhawk

Quote from: Dai20bt on May 01, 2024, 01:05:24 PMWhat are pros/cons for using separate fuel tanks? My kicker is sharing primary tank with main motor. Kicker fuel hose routed through port side cable hole in splash well, across and above main tank towards starboard, connected to house battery. The length of fuel hose is just right so that it hugs the top ceiling of main gas tank.
We run a separate tank primarily in case there is fuel contamination. Ours is a 6 gallon portable so if we burn a lot trolling it is really nice to yoink the tank and fill up at a station as opposed to paying marina prices.
Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke

fishmeister

I'm running an independent kicker tank, also under the port side bait tank.  I don't have an access hole/boot on that side of the motor well (thinking about putting one in though).  My kicker fuel hose is long enough to come out the existing starboard side boot and to the kicker.  I don't have a separator for either tank.  But, getting one for the main is likely to be a project this next off-season.

For me, the pros of a separate system outweigh any cons.  The biggest concern for me is that my tanks (both of them) are "portable".  This means that I don't have an actual gas gauge (unless you count the little joke of a needle on the top of the tank).  My only accurate fuel gauge is my digital motor gauge.  It monitors total fuel used and is re-settable.  It is my de-facto fuel gauge, but it only monitors usage/flow with my main.  If I start pulling fuel from my main tank for the kicker, that data becomes inaccurate (and not in my favor out on the water).

Another "pro" for my set-up is that I have both of my tanks/hoses set up with matching quick-disconnect fittings.  Yes, I try to manage my fuel with ample room for safety, error, and "oh, $h1t".  But, if the need arises, I could switch hose connections and have my main draw off of the kicker tank for a couple of extra spare gallons.

My main tank is a 12-gallon "portable" (good luck lifting that out when full).  My kicker tank is the factory 3.2-gallon that came with the motor.  I can troll for the better part of the day on about a gallon of gas, or less, with the kicker.  That leaves a couple gallons as "extra-emergency" fuel for the main, if it were to be needed.

One other pro to this set-up came last fall.  I was able to run my main tank down pretty well (my fall fishing on the Skagit River is pretty close to the launch).  Being "portable" and only having a couple of gallons left, I was able to lift it out.  I emptied the remaining fuel, from both tanks, into my truck and stored the tanks in the garage for the winter.  This spring, I was able to start with totally dry tanks and fill with fresh gas.
1981 Sea Hunter  "iFish" (Oldest Arima on the forum??)
'22 Merc 60hp, '21 Merc 9.9 Kicker
1996 Lund WC12 (A tin can that wants to be an Arima)

Terrace

6 gallon tank enclosed in the pontoon area. Small in-line filter there was a boot there before I used 1/4" starboard to close it
1988 17' sea ranger 90 hp yamaha

Dai20bt

This is interesting and helpful info. It never occurred to me that fuel could get contaminated during use. How can that happen? How common is it? That would be a huge surprise to be dead in water with a lot of gas in tank.
1987 17' Sea Ranger ("Fresh Catch")
2023 Yamaha 90 vmax sho, 14x15 turbo 1 SS prop
2015 Tohatsu 9.8
(Sold) 2000 Yamaha F115 4-stroke
(Died) 1999 Evinrude Ficht 115hp

agoodhi

Quote from: Dai20bt on May 06, 2024, 01:13:18 PMThis is interesting and helpful info. It never occurred to me that fuel could get contaminated during use. How can that happen? How common is it? That would be a huge surprise to be dead in water with a lot of gas in tank.
Some things off the top of my head... Water contamination (i.e. bad fuel from gas station night before, water entered tank via vent, etc.) or air leak in old fuel lines, bulb, or filter can make for a bad day on the water.
'04 SR 17 | '04 Yami F115 (Apollo XHS SS 13-3/8x15) | SeaStar HC5345 | '22 Suzuki DF9.9 | OTH Pilothouse | FishOn River/Sport Arch | Lenco 9x12 tabs | Garmin Stuff | Pacific Trailer

FryFish

The one time I've been dead in the water offshore was an air leak in the fuel line where the line was rubbing. The rear panel where my fuel water separator was mounted was loose and after rubbing on that rounded corner for long enough it caused a pinhole leak. Luckily I was able to eventually troubleshoot, but it was nice to have the kicker fired up and pointed home as insurance. If they were linked together it's possible both motors would have been dead.
1998 17' SC -- Sold

KEM KAI

Good point FryFish, I better check all my fuel lines. Redid all the lines between the tanks and fuel filter. New hoses, bulbs and connections.  Just to be safe, I think I better finish the job and change the lines, bulbs and connections between the filter and motors.

KEM KAI

Anyone know what fuel line I should use?  It's a 2005 Yamaha 90 hp four stroke.  Never had an outboard that connected inside the cowl to the filter direct. Do I need a special OEM hose?

Tom C

The Yamaha OEM fuel hose is very nice. You need the 8mm (5/16") size. Yamaha part # 90798-1M598-00

KEM KAI

Thanks Tom for the info. Dealer doesn't have it here.  Mine is not bad yet but thought while I'm at it, do the rest.  Could I use any 5/16 line?

Tom C

Yes, as long as it has the current required ratings for marine use

KEM KAI

Thanks Tom for all your help.  Will do it when I change my kicker and bracket in a few weeks.