News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Snow in the mountains

Started by markymark, May 01, 2024, 04:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markymark

Flying from Seattle to San Diego today. Sure is nice to see all the snow in the California mountains. Hope this helps you luxury tax paying folks. You deserve it.

AJFishin

Yep we got dumped on again this year and then got hammered with 2 cold late season storms. Still lots of snow in our local mountains too.
This is the time to take a trip to Yosemite to see the falls, the falls are flowing heavy again this year. If anyone plans a trip there, you need reservations now to enter the park and wait times (traffic) at the gates before the park opens is a long wait.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Fisherdv

I was just talking about a camping trip to Yosemite but probably hard to get a spot and long waits. I'd like to do a more remote camping trip there, but not all that familiar with the area.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

headduck

Disposable may have tips... he spends his a lot of time in those woods.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

amazing grace

The NW conUS has almost no snow pack. Really bad year. Can hope for a wetter and cooler summer but even if that happens it is already bone dry so the fire industry will have another banner year :facepalm:  Lord help  us!
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Tom C

Quote from: amazing grace on May 02, 2024, 07:19:39 AMThe NW conUS has almost no snow pack. Really bad year. Can hope for a wetter and cooler summer but even if that happens it is already bone dry so the fire industry will have another banner year :facepalm:  Lord help  us!

That is not really true. We are at about 70 percent of normal snow pack, which sometimes happens, a very long way form "no snow".

Snow is still falling in the mountains with these wet weather systems coming through.

AJFishin

Quote from: Fisherdv on May 01, 2024, 10:13:06 PMI was just talking about a camping trip to Yosemite but probably hard to get a spot and long waits. I'd like to do a more remote camping trip there, but not all that familiar with the area.

My brother has lived up there for decades, knows that area very well, and drove a propane truck in and around the park and the high country for decades.
One place to look into for camping is the Hetch Hetchy area, just as beautiful as Yosemite and with very few people.
There's also the Fresno Done area that has a nice undeveloped campground near the river, I gotta talk to him about the exact spot. We used take our quads back in there and then hike around, lots of of great look out areas.
There's also some spots near Bass Lake where you can take trails to campgrounds, but those are best to get to using a quad since the dirt roads are narrow and half of them are washed away. I'll talk to him and see if he has some better info if you want.

amazing grace

Quote from: Tom C on May 02, 2024, 07:51:35 AM
Quote from: amazing grace on May 02, 2024, 07:19:39 AMThe NW conUS has almost no snow pack. Really bad year. Can hope for a wetter and cooler summer but even if that happens it is already bone dry so the fire industry will have another banner year :facepalm:  Lord help  us!

That is not really true. We are at about 70 percent of normal snow pack, which sometimes happens, a very long way form "no snow".

Snow is still falling in the mountains with these wet weather systems coming through.

Tom I have lived my entire life in the NW quadrant of the US. These people saying what percentage of snow pack we have are clueless. I was just in the Olympics. Incredibly dry.   Just drove over all the No. pass' about two weeks ago. Walk my own property as I have done for decades. I can tell you without hesitation this is a very dry year at this point on the calendar regardless of what you hear on the nightly news or get from Noaa or any other governmental outlet.
They go from telling you about how great the snow pack is, to about a week later talking about fire danger and the dire fire outlook.

Wonderful how all that works anymore.

Also, Snow in Nov, Dec and Jan. means something as far as snow pack is concerned. Snow after that, especially after mid Feb means almost nothing in terms of actual snow pack.

1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Tom C

AG - You seem to not realize I am a native of the PNW who does not watch TV news. I get it, it is a dry year, but it's not as dry as you think. Do not drink the kool-aid; science is real.

amazing grace

I am not going to argue with you. But My eyes and feet are my science when it comes to the snow pack. And I just saw it in person at the highest pass levels in Wa. Id. and MT. a couple of weeks ago. And the snow pack is as bad as I have seen it, fwiw.

1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Tom C

Don't worry, you'll be fine this summer. It will be dry, but it's been this dry before.

Here is some recent data: https://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/reports/UpdateReport.html?report=Washington

Here is the view at Hurricane Ridge. Relatively dry, but there is snow on the mountains:

https://www.nps.gov/media/webcam/view.htm?id=81B46251-1DD8-B71B-0B29B9750DE273B5

Fisherdv

Quote from: AJFishin on May 02, 2024, 09:15:50 AM
Quote from: Fisherdv on May 01, 2024, 10:13:06 PMI was just talking about a camping trip to Yosemite but probably hard to get a spot and long waits. I'd like to do a more remote camping trip there, but not all that familiar with the area.

My brother has lived up there for decades, knows that area very well, and drove a propane truck in and around the park and the high country for decades.
One place to look into for camping is the Hetch Hetchy area, just as beautiful as Yosemite and with very few people.
There's also the Fresno Done area that has a nice undeveloped campground near the river, I gotta talk to him about the exact spot. We used take our quads back in there and then hike around, lots of of great look out areas.
There's also some spots near Bass Lake where you can take trails to campgrounds, but those are best to get to using a quad since the dirt roads are narrow and half of them are washed away. I'll talk to him and see if he has some better info if you want.
I would like to find a spot that I can pull up the truck to. I don't mind being around people, just not right on top of each other. I'm going to probably just get a truck bed tent for the Taco to sleep in just to get off the ground and keep it simple. I'm not looking to spend thousands on a full on "overland" rig.

I really like Fordyce Lake in the Seirras. 7 mile off-road 4x4 road up to the beautiful lake. Also thought about Gold lake, also a mild 4x4 trail to the lake, but have never been there.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

jamaica

Quote from: AJFishin on May 01, 2024, 10:09:13 PMYep we got dumped on again this year and then got hammered with 2 cold late season storms. Still lots of snow in our local mountains too.
This is the time to take a trip to Yosemite to see the falls, the falls are flowing heavy again this year. If anyone plans a trip there, you need reservations now to enter the park and wait times (traffic) at the gates before the park opens is a long wait.
Do you need a reservation for Yosemite to just pass through the park on Hwy 120 to get to the East side of the Sierras? I got turned around there about a year ago and had to divert to Hwy 108, Sonora Pass, pulling a trailer, it sucked. They should not be allowed to close the Hwy for park reasons. :berry:
1994 19' Sea Ranger 150hp Merc 2stk 9.9hp Yam

AJFishin

Quote from: jamaica on May 03, 2024, 10:03:11 AM
Quote from: AJFishin on May 01, 2024, 10:09:13 PMYep we got dumped on again this year and then got hammered with 2 cold late season storms. Still lots of snow in our local mountains too.
Do you need a reservation for Yosemite to just pass through the park on Hwy 120 to get to the East side of the Sierras? I got turned around there about a year ago and had to divert to Hwy 108, Sonora Pass, pulling a trailer, it sucked. They should not be allowed to close the Hwy for park reasons. :berry:

I'm not 100% sure with hwy 120 to go over to Lee Vining and how it will be effected, I know they keep it closed if the summit has to much snow and they don't want to deal with it.

Reservation are subject to special days, weekends, and months. It does say on the Yosemite's website: "A reservation is required to drive into or through Yosemite National Park."  You can see the link for more information. https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/reservations.htm
But they do say this: If you don't have a reservation, you can still visit Yosemite. You must arrive at an entrance station (other than Hetch Hetchy) before 5 am or after 4 pm. If you are planning to visit after peak hours, please do not arrive before 4 pm; vehicles blocking roads will be cited.

This all has to do with their plans on limiting traffic and eventually not having private vehicles enter the park as they want to eventually only bus people into the park. Camping in the valley is still up to debate if they're going to continue drive in camping in the future, but it seems like they are leaning towards hike in (or carry in) camping as the only allowed camping in the valley.
In Oakhurst, in the last couple of years, about 4 major hotels have been built on 41 in anticipation of this, with more in the plans.

I pulled this from Google Earth with the new hotels in Oakhurst.