News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Small marine 6 oct coho fishery...any experience

Started by headduck, October 16, 2018, 08:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

headduck

Hey yall...

We have a small triangle of water open by the mouth of Dungeness bay until the end of October. I have gone out twice and cant seem to find anything....

Does anybody have experience with this small little slice of coho heaven?

2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Mooch

Bay fishing for salmon has unique challenges.  My best success for coho near rivers like the Dungeness has been fly fishing or casting #3 (sometimes #4) spinners during early mornings (extended with fog), ideally during incoming on a dead quiet drift.   For trolling I'd run a small herring off a #0 diver.  Altho on the Dungie, I've had much better success in river proper.  Good luck.
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

headduck

Just drove by the river and its flush with anglers...may have missed the bay and might head straight to the river. 

straiteagle

They are still coming into the bay, but don't like to bite in the bay, and lots of seaweed, us locals consider this fishery too much work for a limited catching experience.  The tribe was netting the bay from Sept 15 for 30 days.  The coho are a late run, will be coming up to the hatchery into Nov.
2005 Sea Legend, 200HP Suzuki,15HP EFI Suzuki

straiteagle

Correction to above, the tribe is still netting but further away from the mouth of the Dungeness river.

headduck

The river is so low now they are just sitting in the bay getting netted...every day somebody talks of the netting in the bay...adding insult to injury...after opener...they were dip netting the river at night as well...I'm scratching to get a couple and they have unlimited appetite and limited regulation...

Eagle...must be your neighbor, I'm in Dungeness as well...and could use a little local knowledge if your up for a beer (or coffee) sometime...

straiteagle

Quote from: headduck on October 22, 2018, 08:48:31 AM
The river is so low now they are just sitting in the bay getting netted...every day somebody talks of the netting in the bay...adding insult to injury...after opener...they were dip netting the river at night as well...I'm scratching to get a couple and they have unlimited appetite and limited regulation...

Eagle...must be your neighbor, I'm in Dungeness as well...and could use a little local knowledge if your up for a beer (or coffee) sometime...

I've gathered most of my local area fishing knowledge through the local chapter of the Puget Sound Anglers club.  We have educational "how to" presentations at the monthly meetings prior to every major fishing season- for example in March or April, either John Beath, also a member, or myself have given the presentation on Halibut fishing in the immediate area.  See  https://www.psanopc.org/  for information on the club - meetings are every 3rd Thursday of the month.  John Beath is a guide and fishing tackle supplier, one of his internet sites is: https://salmonchronicles.com/, another is: https://halibutchronicles.com/

During the fishing seasons it is not unusual to have as many as 8 club member boats on the water each day, sharing information on where, what, how, etc. regarding the catching.

headduck

Thanks. Will certainly check out the psanopc....maybe i will have the lucky lottery ticket...