News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

spare fuel tank in the cuddy?

Started by Rokefin, April 25, 2014, 09:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rokefin

I surrender!
There is just too much concern with the tank in the cuddy. Even though it is properly installed - vented to the outside, filled from the outside, it is at the very front of the cuddy which is the problem. Too bad, it looks like a factory install - really a clean install.
Also I don't like the smell of fuels. I believe it would function properly without any issues but I am sure the coast guard would not allow it, so they will be my next call.

Don't ever take me seriously cuz I would never take the chance of blowing myself up. I do not own the boat so I will seriously discuss this issue with the owner.

Out of respect to all fishermen/hunters/outdoor enthusiast  and anybody - regulations should be followed.

Fish on and enjoy- life is good

"Rookie"fin

Tom Mac

The last boat I had, a 10 gal tank in the front under the deck, was grounded, vented out side and filled from outside. Never a problem and never any fuel smell, it would be a shame if you could not use it.
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

StreamFixer

I agree.  Get it inspected and if it passes (from the sounds of things it should), use it.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Wyrguy

Quote from: wedocq on April 27, 2014, 08:27:33 AM
Quote from: Wyrguy on April 25, 2014, 06:31:43 PM
Stroker, yes a Canadian, and thank you for the compliment. The laws, regulations, & standards that Transport Canada have in place are exact copies (basically) of the US & European ISO standards with a few minor exceptions (metric conversions)

Having said all that,  I find some of these 'guesses' and summations about what someone THINKS the regulations say, incredulous!!! The regulations are the law, And then, they're only the MINIMUM! Having a cuddy door open and saying it provides more ventilation than the stern area is like comparing an apple and an orange. They're both spherical shaped fruit that grow on a tree... but that's all they have in common. Do you sleep or maybe spend time in that area, no. If there isn't an above deck fuel fill and external vent, dragging a fuel hose in to fill, are there any fittings below the top static level of the tank? If it's aluminum, is it spaced a minimum of 1/4" at the bottom off of deck structure measured when the tank is full? These are all violations... SERIOUS life threatening violations.
If someone wants to do these things to their boat, fill your boots!!! If someone asks the question if it's OK to do, I'll keep banging my head against the brick wall, but the standards are the minimum.
If anyone wants any help or additional information, PM me. No question is dumb or silly.

Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a question Rick. What makes it a serious life threatening violation? (Other than violating the code you listed) Or worded differently, what potentially harmful things could come about from a fuel system such as this?
-Shawn

Rickdickulous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs