News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Does anyone use an alternative to Scotty plugs?

Started by wedocq, March 20, 2024, 01:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedocq

Hello all,
Scotty plugs have become a financial thorn in my side! I have 4 outlets on the boat, and I use the plugs on my downriggers, pot puller, and several cords for Daiwa electric reels. I feel like I am constantly replacing something (more like multiple things) every spring due to corrosion and wear and tear. The price difference between a Scotty plug and a generic marine plug is huge. I am thinking about swapping everything over to something more affordable if I can find the right one. (It doesn't have to be Scotty compatible) Has anyone found something that works decent and is more affordable? I would rather be spending money on fishing trips!
Thanks!
-Shawn 
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

wedocq

Don't make me start using the phrase, "I am on a fixed budget!"  :anyone:  :anyone:  :anyone:

Hunter

I hate the Scotty plugs so will be watching this thread.   

PS....  First thing to do with any Scotty plug is to take a white paint marker and draw a "line-up" line on both the male and female components so that you never have to dink around figuring out which way the plug gets inserted.   
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

GoodDays

Rick replaced everything with some sort of AM/General waterproof plug.  Sadly I cant ask him what that was...    :shrug9:

Get it going !! Halibut to catch !

GoodDays Greg

BayWolf

The wiring is pretty straight forward. Hot and ground.  You can just use a regular electrical plug like these. Just wire the silver male and female as hot and the green ground on both with ground.  Leave the other lead empty. 

Cheap enough to replace and if you tuck them under the gunwale they will last.
Plugs
IMG_2853.jpeg
"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:
WWW.Youtube.com/@Baywolf_Films

BayWolf

First Sergeant

Kimbrey

Dang I'm in the process of replacing all 4 of my receptacles as we speak.  Replacing some of the wire also.  I wouldn't mind something different but when guests bring their own electric reel with a Scotty plug it might be difficult.

2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

BayWolf

Quote from: Kimbrey on March 20, 2024, 05:45:56 PMDang I'm in the process of replacing all 4 of my receptacles as we speak.  Replacing some of the wire also.  I wouldn't mind something different but when guests bring their own electric reel with a Scotty plug it might be difficult.

Just make an adapter and keep it on the boat.  Scotty female on one end and a male plug on the other. 

First Sergeant

Kimbrey

No cheaper than what we use for the Scott but I did buy one of these to use with the new crab puller I bought.  I'm not going to use it right away as I'll use what came with it but will give it a try when I have to start replacing things.  I always fight getting Scotty plug in as the receptacles are hard to see...I like the paint marker idea.  This plug might be easier.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5XQQNV?ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details&th=1
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

DevMah

2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

DevMah

Fishful Thinking

I have some fishing buddies that use Anderson style connectors. This is what I am looking at whenever I get around to rewiring.

https://www.andersonpower.com/us/en/resources/SBseriesResourcesPage.html

That specific link might not be the exact size/style, but you get the general idea. I believe they have waterproof connections, or at least waterproof boots that cover the connectors as well. Something like this might be worth consideration.
John

2001 Sea Chaser 15/11
2023 Suzuki DF90AT
2001 Yamaha 8

Barnaclebob

Where are you outlets installed?  My outlets are mounted under the gunnels which helps keeps water from splashing on them and keeps people from knocking into the plugs when leaning on the gunnels.

Maybe packing the backshells with some kind of grease would help. 
2007 Sea Ranger 19
2021 Yamaha 115
2021 Yamaha 9.9

AP

Mine are also under the gunwale and seemingly fairly well protected but I've had to replace them over the years.  I like some of the solutions posted here. 

GregE

Scotty has been using Marinco plugs for years.  My DR plugs are under the gunnels -no problem with water but the alignment mark is a good idea I'll use.
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

DevMah

Quote from: Fishful Thinking on March 21, 2024, 07:57:39 AMI have some fishing buddies that use Anderson style connectors. This is what I am looking at whenever I get around to rewiring.

That specific link might not be the exact size/style, but you get the general idea. I believe they have waterproof connections, or at least waterproof boots that cover the connectors as well. Something like this might be worth consideration.

Used Anderson also with the weather boot.

IMO good if it's covered like under the gunnel, but do not recommend in an exposed area to rain and salt water.

You are better off getting a marine rated plug with coated prongs that is water resistant.

Just my 2 cents

Dev

FishAddict

I'm not a fan of the female scotty either.  Corrosion X or grease help but they will eventually corrode if they are in a spot with the cover off and your fishing buddies love the wash down hose.  The main reason I have stayed with the Scotty's is that all the boats I fish on have them so it makes taking gear like the Tanacoms easier from boat to boat.

I suppose you could go with the ones Dev recommended and make a pig tail adapter for when you go fishing on a boat with the scotty's.
21ft Sea Ranger w/Yamaha F150

wedocq

I think part of my problem is the location. The receptacle is exposed on the gunnel, instead of underneath where they are better protected. When these things start to get corroded, does anyone have a good way to clean them? I was wondering if a ultrasonic cleaner would do the trick? Thanks for the ideas! Something I didn't consider was keeping everything consistent so people can hop aboard and use their own gear with Scotty connections (and vice versa).
-Shawn

positize

I've had bad luck with the Anderson connectors.  Had the rubber cover on them, mounted under the gunnel, but the contacts turned a lovely shade of green in just a few months.  Boat was on trailer, stored inside most of the time, but used in the bays a few weeks a year.  By the end of the first season, the contacts were shot.  That little bit of salt air exposure not compatible with the Anderson connectors.
2003 Sea Ranger 21 Skip Tower
2015 Honda 150

fishmeister

Quote from: DevMah on March 21, 2024, 12:49:10 PM
Quote from: Fishful Thinking on March 21, 2024, 07:57:39 AMI have some fishing buddies that use Anderson style connectors. This is what I am looking at whenever I get around to rewiring.

Used Anderson also with the weather boot.

IMO good if it's covered like under the gunnel, but do not recommend in an exposed area to rain and salt water.

You are better off getting a marine rated plug with coated prongs that is water resistant.

Just my 2 cents

Dev

I'm not familiar with the Anderson brand.  But, I just took a look at the link from the earlier post.  They are a division of Ideal Industries.  That is a name that I'm very familiar with (I use several of their products at work.  In fact, my multimeter is an Ideal.).  Ideal doesn't generally cater to marine applications (that I can find).  My guess is that Dev is correct in that these might not be a good choice for a saltwater environment.  I'm guessing that is why they turn a lovely shade of green.
1981 Sea Hunter  "iFish" (Oldest Arima on the forum??)
'22 Merc 60hp, '21 Merc 9.9 Kicker
1996 Lund WC12 (A tin can that wants to be an Arima)

positize

Yes, Anderson connectors are the most common connector used for high current DC charging applications on golf carts, forklifts, power pallet jacks and so forth.  So they can be had cheap because they are so common and are rated for up to 350A depending on selected size, with the 50A version being fairly ubiquitous.  But they are not designed for marine applications.  Even with the optional front rubber boot, they are not sealed from the rear, so lots of opportunity for salt air incursion.  Nifty connector because they are hermaphroditic (same 'sex' on both sides).  Might work inside a cabin or below deck on a larger vessel, but a dud for something out on deck, even when partially protected from the weather under the gunnels.
2003 Sea Ranger 21 Skip Tower
2015 Honda 150

Lee

I have something similar to these for my two downriggers and crab pot puller. I zip tie and tuck in under gunnel when not in use.
Amazon SAE Connector Tinned Copper Extension Cable 30cm 10AWG with Cover Polarity Adapter 2 Pin Quick Connect Disconnect Replacement Pigtail for Solar System Trolling Camper Tractors RV(4PCS)

Keel-er

Can someone send a picture of their under the gunwhale installation?  I'm trying to visualize but a picture's worth a lotta words.  Thanks.
1986 Sea Ranger 17 "Nancy Lyn"-Sold
2020 Yamaha F90
1995 Sea Ranger 19
2023 Tohatsu 140
2020 Yamaha 9.9

Domesticated Pinhead

Not all hero's wear capes

Quote from: Hunter on March 20, 2024, 03:28:40 PMI hate the Scotty plugs so will be watching this thread.   

PS....  First thing to do with any Scotty plug is to take a white paint marker and draw a "line-up" line on both the male and female components so that you never have to dink around figuring out which way the plug gets inserted.   
21 SR

DARice

Fwiw, I haven't needed to replace the original Scotty/marinco plugs in my boat (motor well install), or had any issues with the ones I installed 3 years ago (inside vertical face of the gunwhale). I did need to clean up the male prongs on the original ones and add a dab of dielectric grease to the receptacle. Ymmv.

Dave
2005 Sea Chaser 17 Pilot House, Lost Sailor
'21 Honda 90, Yamaha T9.9