News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Finally! A brief weather window in the PNW--poof, it's gone!

Started by DARice, February 15, 2024, 03:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DARice

I took my remote work to a new level--a month in Brookings, OR! Of course, I brought the boat. Three weeks in, the ocean was still angry, wind was blasting, and much more rain than sun.

Saturday, Feb 10, was just OK conditions: 2-3' wind waves from the South, 6-8' West swell. BIG tides. Took my SC17 out on the big blue for the first time with the pilot house. Over a month of storms put the fish off the bite: 5 hrs on the water and 6 small rockfish and one undersized ling cod, all released. And, the pilot house was mostly fantastic! (I'll write a 'shakedown' thread separately.)

Tuesday, Feb 13, launched at 130p <2' wind waves, 4' West swell, long period. MAGIC! Launched on an outgoing tide. Calm bar crossing. Headed North about 7 miles. Nice black rockfish on my second drop in 60', missed a bit hit on my third drop...repositioned for the same drift and got a skinny 25" ling, and so it went. Even with sorting through 10+ schoolie Deacon rockfish, I closed out my limit of small/medium-sized rockfish and the ling shortly after 3p. And, I was fishing in a short sleeved shirt thanks to PH wind protection.

Wednesday we were back to 8-10' waves on the bar, occasionally breaking, and closed to all traffic, so it will stay for the rest of my Brookings time.

Dave
2005 Sea Chaser 17 Pilot House, Lost Sailor
'21 Honda 90, Yamaha T9.9

headduck

In and out... way to go.

Bummer about the weather... FWIW... we got snow today and I laid a bit of floor.  You killed it in comparison.   :beerchug:
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

GregE

I've wanted to fish Brookings since Tesoro posted his Huge salmon pics several years ago.
Did you take the coast highway or down I 5 then across?  Long run either way.
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

DARice

Quote from: GregE on February 24, 2024, 11:50:13 AMI've wanted to fish Brookings since Tesoro posted his Huge salmon pics several years ago.
Did you take the coast highway or down I 5 then across?  Long run either way.

I'm in Woodland, WA. It is a long tow, no matter which route we choose. Cutting over to/from the coast on 126 (Florence) or 38 (Reedsport) is what we do most often.

Dave
2005 Sea Chaser 17 Pilot House, Lost Sailor
'21 Honda 90, Yamaha T9.9