News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Installing a second bilge pump

Started by Enniberg, February 19, 2012, 07:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

I added a second bilge.  I hope the design works good.  I decided to tie it into the drain from the port storage tank.  I added a back flow stop valve to the port storage tank drain hose.  I then ran that to a T where it goes to the drain hole going to the transom and where the bilge hose connects.  The new bilge hose is the white hose...

Enniberg

chet, the way you are routing the discharge is identical to what I am attempting to do, except that it looks like you are using a significantly thinner hose.

I am going to rout the in to the motor well too, but separate from the storage tank

johan
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. (unknown)

Threeweight

Johan, is there enough room to route the hose up behind the tank, rather than to one side of it?
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Enniberg

Steve, that is exactly what Paula wants to try to do, and she is a lot smarter than me, so I will not be surprised if she can make it work :doh: stay tuned :wink:

johan
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. (unknown)

BigMac

Johan,

I may be way off base here (because I don't know anything about the make up of your boat), but thinking outside the box--if the hose diameter is too large from the 1100 gph, could you install 2-500's (if room) with smaller hose diameters and tap the hoses into a larger "y" after getting past the tight spot??

Wire each pump to the same helm switch, but have a fuse in each pump's electric line.

Hope this suggestion isn't totally off the wall.

(Dave)

StreamFixer

After studying your picture for a bit, it finally dawned on me I was looking at where the fuel tank sits.

I ran into a similar problem, retro fit washdown hose was crushed between the fuel tank and the floor it sits on (same area where your white hose comes through).

Talked with Don who told me the floor is not a hull structural member, that is, you can cut holes in it, pieces out of it, etc. as needed to route hoses. It is just a thin layer of fiberglass to provide a flat area to set the tank on.

That was my solution,  Just cut away the floor that was causing the 'pinch' point.  I suspect you will find there is plenty of room if you take that approach.

StreamFixer

P.S.  Your boat is sure a LOT cleaner than mine under the tank (and most other places probably).  I'll bet Paula's influence is showing there??
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Enniberg

Russ, the pictures are of chet's boat - mine cleaned up nicely too (Paula's efforts, off course), but is is still an 87, so not a shiny as chet's.

The problem with continuing to enlarge that hole is that I will run in to what appears to be wood reinforcements in the floor, and even then, the space underneath is so limited that I'm afraid the tank will sit tilted on top of the hose - I am using the hose Steve is talking about in his earlier posting on this topic. It appears very strong, I don't think the tank will crush.

Dave, your solution makes good sense to me, I just hate to have to return the stuff I already have purchased. If routing behind the tank does not work, I may have to try Russ's professional engineer's solution.

johan

BigMac

Johan,

Just thot of a negative to my great idea--if one of the two pumps quits and the other keeps running, unless you have a check valve in each of the hoses before they attach to the "y", there could be some back flow into the bilge.  Probably not insurmountable, but more complicated.

(Dave)

Threeweight

Another thought... maybe a good one, maybe not, but certainly complicated :whistle:  If you have a 23 gallon tank like mine, you have a bunch of space between the tank and the top of the motor well back there....

Cut a few strips of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood, maybe 2 or 3" wide and the length of the fuel tank well.  Sit the tank on top of them, using them as "risers" and see if the hose then has enough room.  If it does, replace the plywood with some trips of Starboard, screwed into the glass of the fuel tank well (with the screw heads countersunk so they don't rub the bottom of the fuel tank.)  Sand off the edges so they don't chafe against the tank.

Could serve a dual purpose... if you mount the Starboard running lengthwise with the keel of the boat, you would then have some space under the tank so that you could wash sea weed, fish guts, etc... down into the bilge.

Were it me, though, I'd see if Paula's idea worked, and if it did not, go with a smaller pump.  I have two 650 gph units in my boat, I think that is the biggest that can get by w/ 3/4 inch hose... even the 1" is going to be a tight fit in the gap along the side of the tank.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

oldbhtrnewequip

Quote from: Threeweight on March 20, 2012, 09:50:24 AM
Another thought... maybe a good one, maybe not, but certainly complicated :whistle:  If you have a 23 gallon tank like mine, you have a bunch of space between the tank and the top of the motor well back there....

Cut a few strips of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood, maybe 2 or 3" wide and the length of the fuel tank well.  Sit the tank on top of them, using them as "risers" and see if the hose then has enough room.  If it does, replace the plywood with some trips of Starboard, screwed into the glass of the fuel tank well (with the screw heads countersunk so they don't rub the bottom of the fuel tank.)  Sand off the edges so they don't chafe against the tank.

Could serve a dual purpose... if you mount the Starboard running lengthwise with the keel of the boat, you would then have some space under the tank so that you could wash sea weed, fish guts, etc... down into the bilge.

Were it me, though, I'd see if Paula's idea worked, and if it did not, go with a smaller pump.  I have two 650 gph units in my boat, I think that is the biggest that can get by w/ 3/4 inch hose... even the 1" is going to be a tight fit in the gap along the side of the tank.

I've got the bigger tank but GREAT discussion here folks !! I'll have to check the vertical clearance BEFORE I remove the tank.

chet

The white hose is tight when the tank is inside but it does fit.  That white hose is very stiff too.  Once the tank went back in there is a little play.  It shouldn't crip on me. 

chuckster

I added my second bilge hose in the same spot as Chet's, but added a second through hull fitting just below the bait tank fitting.  So far, even with record breaking March rainfall, it has worked great.

Chuck
1987 Sea Chaser
115 HP Yami / 8 HP Merc
"When I die I hope my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I said I paid for it"