News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Front Roller Gelcoat Wear

Started by Nanserbe, April 27, 2024, 06:27:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanserbe

I noticed that the front roller on my boat has worn through the gelcoat where it makes contact with the keel.

What do I need to do to keep it from happening again after I fix it?

I'm guessing the PO didn't keep the front winch line tight enough.
2003 19' Sea Ranger HT
2015 Honda BF115
2015 Yamaha T9.9

Tom C

You can build that area back up with some gel coat patch paste.

Loose the bell ends on the bow roller.

Nanserbe

Quote from: Tom C on April 27, 2024, 07:48:27 AMYou can build that area back up with some gel coat patch paste.

Kinda what I was thinking too.

Do people usually keep the winch cranked pretty tight during transit?

I don't think the PO used any straps to keep the back of the boat tied to the trailer either so I'm sure that added a bit of movement. 
2003 19' Sea Ranger HT
2015 Honda BF115
2015 Yamaha T9.9

Tom C

QuoteDo people usually keep the winch cranked pretty tight during transit?

They better. And they better have the stern strapped down tight too. There is a legal, moral, and practical reason for doing so.

DARice

Just a little slack and that happens. For my last trip of 300 miles I left in freezing conditions, as the winch strap thawed, the bow moved enough to wear away some gel coat on the bottom of the chine. I haven't decided whether I'll repair it, or have a piece of stainless steel bent to protect that area.

Dave
2005 Sea Chaser 17 Pilot House, Lost Sailor
'21 Honda 90, Yamaha T9.9

Kimbrey

There is a glue on plate that I've used in the past though I'm not sure how it'd work in the chine area.  Wonder if you can move the roller up or down to get away from that chine.

It's interesting about straps.  My boat a 28' Farallon doesn't even have eyes to strap into on the stern. I asked them about it when I picked the boat up in Sacramento. They said that's the way they've been building them for years & years.  There's a group that ventures from California all the way down to Baja and back towing them that way.  Not saying it's right.....
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

Kimbrey

2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

croaker stroker

Quote from: Tom C on April 27, 2024, 07:48:27 AMLoose the bell ends on the bow roller.

+1

Also, add a vertical strap from the bow eye straight down to the trailer frame to prevent bouncing.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

fishmeister

Quote from: Tom C on April 27, 2024, 07:48:27 AMYou can build that area back up with some gel coat patch paste.

:yeahthat:  :yeahthat:

Those big, fat, bell ends are killing you.  Try something else a little less aggressive.  Suggest something similar to this??: https://www.westmarine.com/c-e-smith-3inch-dia.-stop-bow-roller-175950.html?queryID=55dd9ee312886ebb07b56247658bc07d&objectID=175950&indexName=production_na01_westmarine_demandware_net__WestMarine__products__en_US

Making sure the winch is tight and strapping down the bow are good suggestions that will greatly reduce movement.  But nothing is going to stop all movement while going down the road.
1981 Sea Hunter  "iFish" (Oldest Arima on the forum??)
'22 Merc 60hp, '21 Merc 9.9 Kicker
1996 Lund WC12 (A tin can that wants to be an Arima)

Yachter Yat

Take a look and take a lesson.  This pic will reveal how I always kept a soft towel wrapped around that bow roller/stop.  I learned looooong ago how almost "nothing" really gets along with gelcoat. Live long enough.....and you'll learn.....just like I did.

Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

martin3

I keep mine tight always.....and I add an extra tie down strap down to the frame when towing.
Plus the rear ratchet tie downs.

Definitely loose the outer wheels.
Those aren't allowing the bow to fully sit fully against the center stop.

Are the bow stops still soft,  or has the sun dried them out??
They should be fairly soft to the touch.

MJM3

1990 SR Skip Top  "Gypsea Soul"
2013 Etec 115H.O.

AJFishin

:yeahthat:
Bow straps work great on keeping the bow from bouncing.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

markymark

Quote from: AJFishin on April 27, 2024, 02:39:36 PM:yeahthat:
Bow straps work great on keeping the bow from bouncing.

Yes! 💯 like that.

davidsea

I have a roller trailer with no keel or bow rollers, so bouncing can be an issue.  As CS and AJ said, a vertical strap down to the trailer tongue is a must.  Moving the winch up or down on the winch stand to get a straight horizontal pull from the winch strap to the bow eye will help.  Since I launch/load solo, often on crappy ramps and in the wind, the 'ears' on the sides of the bow roller help avoid gelcoat disasters, so I've kept them, but used a few washers on each side between them and the center roller to space them out enough to not touch the boat when everything's snugged up.  On the occasional long tow on bad roads, a folded microfiber polishing pad and a couple of rubber bands will eliminate any possibility of scuffing up there.  m2c
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Nanserbe

Thank you all for the input!

The rollers are still pretty soft, but maybe a new rubber one will be a better bet.

I'll also try ditching the outer ear rollers, or at least spacing them outward, and recheck.

I didn't think about the microfiber cloth in there too. That's a good idea.

The boat didn't come with rear tie straps, which leads me to believe that the PO didn't use them. The front winch that came on the boat was an electric one that probably didn't stay tight enough. I'm glad it made the 280mi drive back when I got it.
2003 19' Sea Ranger HT
2015 Honda BF115
2015 Yamaha T9.9

davidsea

/quote)
The boat didn't come with rear tie straps, which leads me to believe that the PO didn't use them. The front winch that came on the boat was an electric one that probably didn't stay tight enough. I'm glad it made the 280mi drive back when I got it.
[/quote]

The rear tiedowns are a must, especially on rough roads, keeping the hull from bouncing and shifting on the trailer, as well as avoiding disaster if the winch, strap, or bow eye fails up front.  It depends on the style of trailer, but mine wrap around the side of the hull and down to the trailer, so it's important to use straps that aren't too rough or abrasive, and have some protection behind the buckles if they contact the hull.

dual outlet.JPG
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Yachter Yat

Quote from: martin3 on April 27, 2024, 12:59:45 PMAre the bow stops still soft,  or has the sun dried them out??
They should be fairly soft to the touch.

I've never found any of those bow stops to be really soft enough to prevent damage; hence, the reason why I've had to resort to wrapping that soft towel around mine.  Even if your boat is winched and strapped tightly against that stop, I think there will always be potential for damage.  Just the vibration alone from those winch stanchions can wreak havoc.
  Might sound impossible, but I actually recall seeing gel coat that appeared to have been "wrinkled"......or "rippled" (if you will), from being in contact with a bow stop. Go figure. :shrug9:

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

KEM KAI

The PO had installed Boat Buckle G2 straps on the stern.  Boy are they easy to use, no more removing and storing them.  They are SS and I plan to get one for the bow too.  A little pricey but well worth it, IMHO.  Saw them at West Marine and also online for a little cheaper. Also from Amazon one made by Rhino, worked the same and less pricey than the Boat Buckle.

martin3

100% agree on the Boat Buckle straps.
I use the SS model on my trailer.
Super easy to use.

Mine are about 3 years old and still in perfect condition.
MJM3

1990 SR Skip Top  "Gypsea Soul"
2013 Etec 115H.O.

Keel-er

I've had the same issue and found the yellow rollers and stops are a much harder material than the black rubber versions.  I switched back to the latter version and didn't have the problem anymore.  I like the towel idea.
1986 Sea Ranger 17 "Nancy Lyn"-Sold
2020 Yamaha F90
1995 Sea Ranger 19
2023 Tohatsu 140
2020 Yamaha 9.9

croaker stroker

+1 for Boatbuckle.

I have been using the "BoatBuckle Stainless Steel Kwik-Lok Transom Tie-Down" for years. The stainless steel they use is truly stainless and the straps are equally long lasting.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸