News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

TR-1

Started by Jerry N, August 01, 2011, 03:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry N

I just bought a different O/B boat and it has a T-8 tiller with a gold TR-1 auto pilot. I like the idea of the auto pilot, but would like to change the motor to a T-8 cable shifter at the helm.

Does anyone run the TR-1 auto pilot with a helm cable controlled kicker? Obviously the connecting rod would have to be removed when the TR-1 is in use... if this is possible.

Thanks

Threeweight

Not sure why you'd want to... doesn't the TR-1 have an autopilot function, w/ throttle control?

If all you needed was throttle control for those times you don't want to use the TR-1, you could add a Troll Master throttle control up front.  Won't shift the motor, but it will give you infinite adjustment of the throttle.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Jerry N

Thank you for your reply. I would just like to be able to manually operate the kicker for more versatility while fishing.

Grizzle

Does the TR-1 throttle actuator not work alongside the tiller handle or remote controls?  How about the troll master?
Brook Stockton - My Boat: Mighty Molly - The Fish Monger - Arima SeaChaser 16 - Soft SkipTower and "The Rack"

SALTBOSS™ MARINE - Offshore Marine Products & Fabrication - http://saltbossmarine.com - brook@saltbossmarine.com - 206-953-SALT (7258)

Jerry N

I have not used a TR-1 before and know nothing about the functionality of this product, it was very impressive in during the test drive with the new boat rigged the T-8 tiller. However, I still have my old boat with a conventional T-8 helm control and there will be times where operating the kicker manually would be optimal for me. With that said, I would like to be able to also have an autopilot.

Anyway, I would much prefer to have the helm control available, so it would just be a matter of switching the motors before selling my old boat.  

My only question really is if the TR-1 will work with cable mounted helm controls.
:1zhelp:

Peddler

When the TR1 is turned-off, or in Standby mode, it's as-if it's not even there.  You could steer it manually with the tiller or with a connecting rod to the main.  I do not see why remote (helm) shift/throttle cables would interfere either, as they really just do the same as the integrated (on-motor) shift and throttle mechanism.

My guess is that once you see how well the TR1 can operate, you wont need/want forward controls for you kicker.  (Except potentially for shift capability, the only thing TR1 does not do.)
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Threeweight

The troll master doesn't interfere with manual operation of the motor, either.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Jerry N

Thanks guys.

As you know this TR1 gold is a fairly expensive accessory (and one that I already have, same with the 2 T-8's), BUT I will be selling my old boat soon with one of these T-8s and just kind of need to make a decision. I definitely feel more comfortable with the cable helm control versus the tiller, so that's why I'm leaning in that direction... and the nature of my question.

I agree that it shouldn't make much of a difference... and appreciate your advice, so I'll be switching those motors unless somebody else pipes in with something different.   :clap:

StreamFixer

Should you decide to part with your extra TR-1, please keep me in mind.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Jerry N

That's certainly a possibility? I was going to advertise my old boat "without kicker, deduct 2K". It's a 2008 Yamaha T-8 Tiller with power trim/tilt.

Jerry N

"My guess is that once you see how well the TR1 can operate, you wont need/want forward controls for you kicker.  (Except potentially for shift capability, the only thing TR1 does not do.)"

That's pretty much it in a nutshell... I'm really hoping that the TR-1 works as well for my applications as everyone says it will. But like you say, I'd really like to be able lower/raise, start/stop and shift from the helm instead of leaning out over the back of the boat... as well as having the option to manually operate the kicker solely from the helm.

Thanks again!   :party:

korgidog

You can wire your motor so that you can start,stop,tilt without leaning over the stern. I have a TR-1 on my trolling motor. My Bracket is a Geotz, hydraulic powered. I use the TR-1 to troll from various positions in the boat. I had switches installed inside the boat near the stern. I have a start switch,kill switch,tilt and up and down for the bracket. I also have the motor wired so that it will start in gear. No leaning over the stern for anything. Very convenient. One thing you might check on is whether the TR-1 is powerful enough to steer a motor that is connected to a helm steering system. I discussed this with a TR-1 technician and he was skeptical about the results although he had not tried it.

Jerry N

I'm very surprised that there's nothing published for this application, so thanks for checking into that korgidog! That sounds like a sweet setup you have!

Today I asked a Yamaha service manager if the shift/throttle mechanisms for the cable versus the integrated on-motor were similar like Peddler mentioned... that was a handy piece of information BTW. He said yes, and is going to be talking to one of his techs regarding this, I will be sure to keep everyone posted.  Thanks again!

Oh yeah, I would definitely disconnect the connecting rod when using the TR-1.

theSaltyPuddle

What boat are you selling Jerry?
1985 SC 17, 2017 Mercury 90Hp

Jerry N

Sold!

theSaltyPuddle

Well good luck with the sale Jerry.  I was hoping you were going to say you had a sea chaser for sale asking ten bucks but willing to take five  :jester:
1985 SC 17, 2017 Mercury 90Hp

Jerry N

SOLD

LesR

I have the TR 1 Gold on my 9.9 Honda kicker motor.  The helm operated shifting cable has broken three times in the past 7 years at the motor.  The cable itself has a 5 year warranty.  The left and right oscillations seem to fatigue the motor attachment and even though always stored in a minimally flexed motor position the cable has broker today (height of the season) and will take too many days to be repaired.

I don't think the TR1 will operate with a helm controlled wheel as the little piston mounted on the side of the motor shaft probably doesn't get enough torque to turn the wheel and the attached cables needed to operate the motor from the front of the boat.

LesR

woody

I've a Merc 9.9 remote controls.  The web on the Troll Master suggest ypu have to disconnect the remote throttle and just use the Troll Master.  There is a reference to a throttle bypass you can get, but I did not explore it.  Just gonna use remote and no Troll Master for now.

Woody