News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Anyone ever try replicating Garmin display via a tablet?

Started by Cauguama, January 30, 2024, 06:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cauguama

I have a Garmin GPSMap 943XSV on the helm, but am often in the back fishing while the kicker motor is running on autopilot.  My Arima has the Alaska Bulkhead with a door, so looking in the cabin to see what's showing on sonar isn't always easy. 

I do have ActiveCaptain on my phone, so I can extend the display to my phone, but it's a small screen.  I was wondering if it would work for me to get a tablet (iPad maybe) and mount it to the rocket launcher and load ActiveCaptain on the tablet for easier viewing while fishing out back.  Anyone ever tried that?

I know Garmin will happily sell me another display to mount in back, but they're very spendy and require more wiring.

What do you guys think?
TIA!

Barnaclebob

Aside from possibly saltwater exposure or maybe glare from the sun, it should work fine if you are happy with the available features from the active captain app.
2007 Sea Ranger 19
2021 Yamaha 115
2021 Yamaha 9.9

Hunter

I did a fairly thorough write-up over on the Hewes site on this exact modification.....

https://www.hewescraftowners.com/viewtopic.php?t=4103&hilit=ipad

I have since moved from the IPAD to another Garmin 942xs so that I can have a fully functioning MFD back-up.
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Cauguama