News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

ACR price increases

Started by davidsea, January 21, 2024, 07:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidsea

Anyone planning on buying ACR safety gear - EPIRB, PLB, strobe, etc. - prices are expected to go up end of Jan.  Not easy to find legitimate discounts on this brand, and buying used or from eBay, etc. NOT recommended.
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

amazing grace

Thanks David, good notification. I need to talk to Mooch about his recommendation on the subject. Some of these have a shelf life or required subscription, don't they?
Also, are these devices only offered by one Company?

Again, thank you.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

DARice

Yes, there are other brands. ACR is probably the best known and most popular in the US. McMurdo used to be dominant in Europe and solid in the US (I consulted with them for a year, ages ago).

Dave
2005 Sea Chaser 17 Pilot House, Lost Sailor
'21 Honda 90, Yamaha T9.9

davidsea

Strong personal opinion on this topic.
   ACR has been my go-to for a long time.  I have an EPIRB, 2 PLB's, a strobe, and an ATR aircraft beacon.   I took my original EPIRB apart when it went past the last reservice date and was really impressed with the design and quality of everything inside.   Made in USA, ACR stuff is used by US government and military, and in most pieces, the only difference is the color/labels on the exterior.   There are authorized service stations across the country to replace batteries, test and re-seal the units.
   Downsides:  Pricey battery service and approx. 10-year max service life.    Upsides: Proven, super tough construction, simple operation......and a guarantee that if you use an ACR unit to get rescued, write up a story of the rescue, send it in, and they will replace it with a new one - free.
   I'm not comfortable with the reliability/durability of any unit with rechargeable or user-replaceable batteries, or anything that doesn't use the SARSAT/COSPAS worldwide satellite network.   Anything that uses the Sat-Phone networks (like Iridium) plus a third-party rescue activation system AND has a monthly subscription fee just isn't on my list.  There's only one message I want to send =  "HELP, I'm at these GPS co-ordinates"   If you want to message/chat, get a sat device, but not as a substitute for a beacon.
   The COSPAS network downlinks alerts from the satellite network to a Government operation in Maryland, which identifies the sender, checks with your emergency phone number for a false alarm, then directly notifies whatever S&R operation is closest to your GPS location.   All of this is quick, reliable and free, including the original registration and every 2-year renewals.
   In a real emergency, you should be able to arm the unit with one hand if injured, and it should float upright in water, continuing to send a signal for a minimum of 24 hours.  Anything that requires using a keypad or touch-pad is a no-go for a real emergency.
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Hunter

I have an ACR Globalfix V4 that has a 10 year battery life...  I've had it for 6 years now and batt shows full and all tests are good.  No subscription or carrying costs involved.  Battery is user changeable and cost $140 for the OEM.....

I also carry a Nautilus Lifeline on my person and my cellphone in a waterproof case.   The Nautilus is waterproof up to 200ft so I can dive with it.  The phone case is waterproof up to 20ft and the phone is fully functional without opening the case..

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

GregE

I was looking at my ACR PLB a couple of years ago and got a call from the CG in Florida.    :redface:
They were verifying I was on land and not having an emergency.  The system works, and you need to coordinate a test beforehand.
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait