News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

radar install for 19SC soft top

Started by montauk169, September 10, 2020, 07:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

montauk169

Greetings Arima owners.
I have a 2006 Sea Chaser 19 soft top.  Looking for advice/recommendations/options for installing a radar dome without installing a complete tower setup.  Boat is equipped with a Simrad GO7-XSE.  Thanks in advance

croaker stroker

I have a mast something like this. (except mine is home made)

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

headduck

I did something similar with a couple of davit brackets from discovery bay marine... mount it like a pot puller and get the dome up above your dome. Microwaves and all...depending upon unit...

Also seen mast on the bow on a tripod-ish support.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

amazing grace

You want an Arch. Not sure if that is what you meant by "tower".

A pole as headuck mentioned would be the other way I would consider.  I don't like the  tripod on the bow idea.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

headduck

Btw...tripod secury mounted to bow...not for me either but out the way and works.

Danno

I've considered the single pole method but there's no good place that I found in the corner in front of the first mate's seat. I don't think I want it behind the seat and the thought of drilling that big of hole in the top of the cuddy makes me cringe.

A tripod on the walk around surface has some potential for me. Two legs in the channel and a third on top of the cuddy has me thinking.

I'm likely going to go with an arch that's mounted forward above the windshield. At 6'5" I don't want to be ducking the arch every time I walk forward.

Head duck, post some pictures of your post mount please.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

disposable

i've heard of people mounting them on a big tall mast/pole in the rear port corner, kind of opposite the anchor light. i prefer to keep it out of the way so this was a big motivator for building a top, but my personal second best choice woulda been a radar arch (which could also support a lot of rod holders, lights, antennas, safety gear...). this could get expensive, but might be the most total combined bangs for your one-time buck.
Reveille
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

disposable

found these using a google search of this site.
Reveille
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

Mooch

Quote from: croaker stroker on September 10, 2020, 08:12:32 PM

CS, how much does that swing around in rough stuff?
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Danno

This is my back up plan except mounted farther forward

2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

croaker stroker

Quote from: Mooch on September 11, 2020, 03:42:46 PM
Quote from: croaker stroker on September 10, 2020, 08:12:32 PM

CS, how much does that swing around in rough stuff?

Mine is fine. Solid. Doesn't move.  I think it is heavier than the newer domes. I mounted it to the floor in the open bow and then supported it to the gunwale and forward bulkhead, kind of like how they mount those trap pullers. I made mine so it is removable.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

headduck

It's not too fancy, and still working through the kinks but the basic premise is there.

So far, only needed it once, as I am lucky enough to be able pick and choose days...and the first mate barks non stop in the fog... just better to avoid it.  :facepalm:

The davit doubles as net holder, hence the appearance of use.

I chose pipe with OD to fit inside the davit holders and found a welder locally. 2 pieces that mate with pins for the shaft. Secured to the davet holders by pins. Platform for the dome.

I put guy lines at 3 points. I debated whether to move the davet holder further aft for increased support but I didnt want to mount to the floor and kick it every time I went to clear a shaker. The davets holders really should be further apart like CS. Perfect for folks who have the beefy pot pullers.

I carry all the pieces in the cuddy. Doesnt take too much space. I'm content with it and the arch and upgrade was desired but not in the budget. Itll work til it is.

AJFishin

Croaker has a nice set up and Headduck has a good alternative going on.

If I was to get a radar I would be looking into getting something like this and adding a support on top for a radar.
I have no idea if this SR17 is a member's, but I like this set up for a all in one top. The only downfall would be the cross supports in front of the center window, no AC in the summer :jester:
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

DevMah

Here is my installation, more pics in my gallery

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

beancounter

I think the arch just has so many advantages over a pole. Looks much better can mount antenna,lights,rod holders,net holder,drink holders and adds resale value.

DevMah

:mememe:
Quote from: beancounter on December 17, 2020, 02:54:39 PM
I think the arch just has so many advantages over a pole. Looks much better,can mount lights,rod holders,net holder,drink holders and adds resale value.

Yes the arch is nice.
Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

polarbill1999

Why not an arch?  The fish on one's are pretty dang cheap and you get the added benefit of keeping rods up out of the way, a good place for an antenna, GPS Puck and can probably put your anchor light on top so you do t have to use the annoying removable one.  Also have something to mount net holders. 
Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

First Cabin

I really like my tower and it is probably the best thing you can do to a soft top Arima.  It was hard to spend the money, but once it's on there you will really enjoy.  Rod holders, net, radar and probably the biggest reason is just having it to hold onto.  Someone almost always chooses to stand up and hold onto the tower while underway.  Turns out legs make the best shock absorbers available on a boat and the tower the best hitchin post.  Now I don't think I would enjoy an Arima without a tower.

But I did consider a single pole like Headduck.  I think that could be done well.  And really radar is only needed a few trips per year so a tower just for radar is an expensive addition.  The single, removable pole, right behind the helm would work well and wouldn't be in the way.

First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Fishin Machine

I have a Lowrance with a soft top. The tower is fish-on.
DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger