News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Anchor winch installed

Started by Nose, February 28, 2024, 03:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wiley

I like the idea of a bouy at the end of the rope. I think if/when I am back on the trailer I will pull all the line off and tie a bouy a couple feet from the end with a trailer line and just let it live on the bow. Then if the excrement hits the fan I can simply play out all the line until zip ties break or line cut and bouy self deploys. ? :beerchug:
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

fishmeister

Quote from: Wiley on March 03, 2024, 10:16:27 AMI like the idea of a bouy at the end of the rope. I think if/when I am back on the trailer I will pull all the line off and tie a bouy a couple feet from the end with a trailer line and just let it live on the bow. Then if the excrement hits the fan I can simply play out all the line until zip ties break or line cut and bouy self deploys. ? :beerchug:

When I anchor up in the river, I just use a spare crab pot buoy and this does the trick.  I simply tie one stopper knot a few feet down the rode.  Then I thread the rope through the buoy and tie another stopper knot.  This leaves a foot or so of loose rope hanging out the end.  Makes it easy to grab in the water.  Put the pointed end of the buoy towards the anchor so it rides in the current.  I just leave the excess rode out on the front deck.  As noted earlier, this makes it very easy to unhook from my front deck cleat and throw the whole thing overboard in a hurry and not have to sacrifice the anchor, chain, and rode.

This anchor method is very common on my local river (Skagit River).  Most of the boats are set up with some variation of this theme.  Not only is this a great "emergency release", it is also commonly deployed when fighting fish.  It is not uncommon to need to drift with the fish to successfully land it.

This also works well for those times where you have to take the Admiral to shore for a potty break or pick up a friend at the launch.  You can leave your anchor and get your same fishing spot back when you return.  I know that "anchor theft" would be the first thing to cross many minds (and, perhaps, justifiably so).  But, that doesn't seem to be a problem here.  Maybe there's enough "honor among fellow fishermen"?
1981 Sea Hunter  "iFish" (Oldest Arima on the forum??)
'22 Merc 60hp, '21 Merc 9.9 Kicker
1996 Lund WC12 (A tin can that wants to be an Arima)

Wiley

Question for those using Dyneema. Did you get it from West Marine and which version. ? There seems to be different models of Dyneema for different applications. Or most likely I'm not understanding. :gone_fishing: 
10' Don Hill Pram

croaker stroker

I got a 300 foot remnant on EBAY. I don't know what model I got?

I wanted 1/4", but the 5/16" remnant was cheap.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

martin3

If you plan on using Dynemma,   I would recommend buying a package kit.
Lonestar or EZ-Anchor sells them already spliced.
MJM3

1990 SR Skip Top  "Gypsea Soul"
2013 Etec 115H.O.

croaker stroker

Martin is right. I tried splicing, but just gave up and tied knots.

Dyneema is slippery and requires knots like you would use for larger monofilament, or mono to braid. 

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Wiley

Quote from: croaker stroker on March 05, 2024, 11:58:46 AMMartin is right. I tried splicing, but just gave up and tied knots.

Dyneema is slippery and requires knots like you would use for larger monofilament, or mono to braid.

Hmmm can it be eye spliced ? Like 3 strand rope ?

10' Don Hill Pram

croaker stroker

Quote from: Wiley on March 05, 2024, 04:16:56 PM
Quote from: croaker stroker on March 05, 2024, 11:58:46 AMMartin is right. I tried splicing, but just gave up and tied knots.

Hmmm can it be eye spliced ? Like 3 strand rope ?

Not by me.  :jester:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

martin3

I'm normally pretty sound with splicing.
I made some spices with Dynemma.....and I didn't trust them.
Like Mark said,   it is seriously slippery.

It is certainly possible.

MJM3

2013 Etec 115H.O.

croaker stroker

The EZ "fast fall" electronic box for my winch is $550+ and increases anchor drop speed X2.

Not "free fall".

They don't explain, but I guess it just doubles the voltage??

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

croaker stroker

I have anchored numerous times with knots and have not yet had a failure, even pulling while stuck and bending a Danforth. 

But this looks like the easy way to make a splice...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=91&v=bNPt1riHMJ0&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dieselpowerproducts.com%2F&source_ve_path=Mjg2NjY&feature=emb_logo

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

DARice

CS, the 'kits' typically include a 3 strand top shot, I assume for a bit of stretch and maybe abrasion protection. Did you do that?

Dave
2005 Sea Chaser 17 Pilot House, Lost Sailor
'21 Honda 90, Yamaha T9.9

croaker stroker

Quote from: DARice on March 06, 2024, 01:04:35 PMCS, the 'kits' typically include a 3 strand top shot, I assume for a bit of stretch and maybe abrasion protection. Did you do that?

Dave

I did add a 50 foot 3/8" 3-strand topshot using a stainless ring. If I re-do it, I am going to tie a three or four wind Uni to Uni instead of the ring.

I followed the directions on the winch instructions attaching the dyneema to the spool. Like on a conventional fishing reel, I did not want it to slip. I also taped the spool to prevent slippage (like I do my fishing reels)

The 5/16 Dyneema remnant that I bought was braided, like in the video.

Edit: see added pic. Dyneema is red, top-shot is white. You can see why you need to allow a little extra room for crowning.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Wiley

Hmmm, I don't quite get the topshot ? I thought the idea was small diameter high strength. Doesn't the topshot create a weak point ?
10' Don Hill Pram

croaker stroker

Quote from: Wiley on March 07, 2024, 06:22:49 PMHmmm, I don't quite get the topshot ? I thought the idea was small diameter high strength. Doesn't the topshot create a weak point ?

Like spectra fishing line, the Dyneema has no stretch. The Idea of using the nylon top-shot, like monofilament fishing top-shot, is to absorb shock. 

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

martin3

Quote from: Wiley on March 07, 2024, 06:22:49 PMHmmm, I don't quite get the topshot ? I thought the idea was small diameter high strength. Doesn't the topshot create a weak point ?

The downside of Dynemma is it has no stretch ability.  The top shot gives the anchor line some give to handle the surge.

MJM3

2013 Etec 115H.O.

croaker stroker

One more point about the top-shot....Dyneema has no abrasion resistance. If your anchor rode scrapes against a rock, the Nylon is said to hold up better. 

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

BigMac

Quote from: disposable on March 02, 2024, 09:56:56 AMregarding backup anchors after breaking away...

i can see cutting away from an anchor in an emergency, but if you have a buoy on the end of the rode (like i do), you can always come back and retrieve the anchor. at least, that's what i tell myself... i have a lobster pot buoy on the rode with a slip-knot on the end of the rode in my anchor locker. my vision is, if i had to leave my anchor, i can take the rode off the anchor cleat, and as the boat drifts away, pull the slip knot... rode goes over and the boat is free, but then, i can come back for it. only fly in that ointment, i think, is if the drift is onshore and i'm anchored shallow... cuz in that scenario my buoy could be pushed ashore.
You could also attach a buoy to the rode after the anchor is deployed using an Orval's EZ Pull(er).  Google to find the instructional video, etc.
Willing to lend mine for tryout (located in Portland area). pm if interested.

Nose

Inside cuddy plate installation photo as promised.

Roberthawitt1

Hello nice set up,How are you liking he drum winch,that brand?I'm looking at purchasing one