News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Re-Power a SL22

Started by AnnapolisArima, January 16, 2023, 08:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnnapolisArima

Hey Friends,
I think its happening and the wife is going to green light a re-power on the rig!
A few questions...the first is on HP
The placard on my boat says MAX power is 200HP (1999 hull)
The Arima site lists 300 as MAX HP on new SL22 boats. I know that there was a slight hull change after 2001 but a 50% increase in rated power seems huge.

Current engine is a BF130 Honda and it's good and starts every time but is a dog. Max speed 23MPH.

For those guys with a SL22 what engine do you have and what speeds are you getting?
Any recommendations?

Thanks
Sea Legend 22-Skip Tower w/ Honda 130

Chief of the Boat

I sea trialed this 22 a few years back and it was fast!

naniamo

I put twin Honda 100's a couple years back and I am happy with the set up.It originally had Honda carborated 90's on it when I got it,it does have a little more umph now..Since you had the one 130 you could go 175 or even 200 and keep the single motor set up.I think the twins burn way more fuel but I have not really checked into it.I get stoked when they fire right up every time.Good luck with your search.
Arima 22 SL  Twin 100 Hondas V-tec , Pacific trailer

GregE

2005 Honda 225 28 mph.  Very little time above best cruise 4000 RPM @ 22

The 2003 HT had a Honda 200 and very similar numbers
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

amazing grace

I would check with Defiance on on the hull rating. If higher ask them to send a new plate.
I was on GregE's skiptower this summer on Pacific with the Honda 225 and it was sweet.  I would not want less iiwm. :stirthepot:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

beancounter

I had a 2008 22HT came with a Honda 150 not really enough. Propped perfect it could do 30 mph wot 6000 rpm Sold that motor and got a Honda 225 really more motor than needed here on the Chesapeake chop. I think the perfect motor would be a 4 cylinder 200 either Suzuki or Yamaha. Lighter on the transom and wallet and good performance too.

Hunter

We had a 2001 HT with bulkhead and 6cyl Suzi 250 which we felt was the perfect power.   Ours was also the last year of the older bow chine design.   As you can see in the pic below, the weight of the 250 is not an issue on these wide body boats.   I really think that a Honda 225 would also be a good choice.    If selecting a 4 cylinder 200 like the Yami Show....you may want to confirm whether or not it will make full HP on 87 octane...

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

lloyds

1997 sea explorer

straiteagle

I have a 2005 SL with Suzuki 200HP, stainless steel prop.  cruises at 28MPH at 3900RPMs,  Top speed tested only one time on a calm Sequim Bay, 42MPh, with 4 people on board.
2005 Sea Legend, 200HP Suzuki,15HP EFI Suzuki

GregE

Did you do the repower??

Results and PICTURES please.  :shrug9:
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Mcneilcab

I just put repowered with twin 115 yamahas.  Counter rotating prop.
Loving the way the boat handles now.
Feels like a new boat. Jumps up on step. Tops out at about 40. Nice to have a little extra power after my old carborated honda 90s
Not sure yet on the sweet spot yet
1994 SR19HT W/TWIN 50s
1998 SEA LEGEND HT  W/TWIN 90s

beancounter

Mcneil you making this east coaster jealous with that scenery there. :bigshock:

Mcneilcab

Yes, It's
 pretty fishy too!
1994 SR19HT W/TWIN 50s
1998 SEA LEGEND HT  W/TWIN 90s

Threeweight

Arima 22's are heavy for their lenght, and they need a v6 to perform well IMO.  I wouldn't bother looking at a 4 cylinder anything.

Most of the 200-225-250's v6's are built on the same block, and on an Arima where you won't really ever use wide open throttle power, you can save some $$ by going with the lower HP rating and get similar performance.

I had the older 3.5 liter Honda 225 v6 on the Hewescraft and it was a fantastic motor in every way, other than weight.  Honda redesigned their v6 line a few years ago and the weight is much better now. Yamaha's 4.2 liter v6 225 is a beast of a motor (same block as the Yamaha 300) and has a cult following among offshore folks, but likely the most expensive of the bunch. Suzuki's v6 225 is more affordable, and the same basic motor has been around for 15ish years and has a good rep.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

AnnapolisArima

Hey All
Update is that I did not re-power in the spring(too cheap and hoping for the covid engine prices to start coming down).
But now the trim/tilt is totally shot and I will be re-powering over the winter. Question really is Yamaha 200 or Suzuki 200?
Either way I know I'll be a lot happier than my Honda 130 struggling to get me to 22mph.
Thanks for all of the feedback so far!
-Aaron
Sea Legend 22-Skip Tower w/ Honda 130

JDB

Yamaha vs Suzuki... Propped correctly I doubt if there is significant difference between the two.  They are both modern I4 2.7/2.8 litre, roughly the same weight (it would be nice to have an industry standard for outboard weighing methods) using very similar technology...
'04 21 SR Skip '24 Merc 150 4S ProXS 04 Honda BF8
'19 Lund Fury 16SS '19 30HP ETEC

Action Front!

Kimbrey

I have a friend that has a new boat.  Luce Screw.  He has a pair of Mercury's hanging on the back of it.  I'd take a close look at them...that is if you can get one.  Quiet.  Really quiet.  The guy that has the building next to me has his big Invincible down in San Diego now fishing bluefin.  Has three Mercury 450's hanging off of that thing.  I've been told you can sit on the stern while at cruise and carry on a normal conversation.  The engines have been flawless for three years.  Personally I wouldn't count out Mercury.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

Yachter Yat

Having once owned a 21+ foot Stamas, sporting a 175 HP V6 Evinrude, I can only suggest you consider Threeweight's post "very carefully".......especially with respect to his first line. Don't be crazy; that 22 Arima needs 'torque'. I'd favor two more cylinders....thank you.

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

1999 Sea Legend 22 HT 300HP Yamaha

Quote from: AnnapolisArima on August 22, 2023, 10:32:20 AMHey All
Update is that I did not re-power in the spring(too cheap and hoping for the covid engine prices to start coming down).
But now the trim/tilt is totally shot and I will be re-powering over the winter. Question really is Yamaha 200 or Suzuki 200?
Either way I know I'll be a lot happier than my Honda 130 struggling to get me to 22mph.
Thanks for all of the feedback so far!
-Aaron
I ended with a 300 Yamaha and love the power.

amazing grace

Whoa :bigshock:, sweet. I assume that is max hp on that hull?

That must be awesome :flagwave:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

blindmonkey

Wyrguy had the 4.2 l 250 Yamaha on Arima Therapy same setup  as Chief of the Boat's post and was impressed with its power and fuel economy.
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

1999 Sea Legend 22 HT 300HP Yamaha

Quote from: amazing grace on October 01, 2023, 08:36:15 AMWhoa :bigshock:, sweet. I assume that is max hp on that hull?

That must be awesome :flagwave:
Yes it is maxed out!

Tom C

Any boat 20' or more can have any maximum horsepower rating the manufacturer wants to give it; there is no formulaic rule to limit it.

But once a manufacturer assigns a max HP to a boat, that's it, no changing it, even if the next model year the manufacturer changes the rating on the exact same model.

Yachter Yat

Quote from: Tom C on October 07, 2023, 06:14:09 PMBut once a manufacturer assigns a max HP to a boat, that's it, no changing it, even if the next model year the manufacturer changes the rating on the exact same model.

Tom:  I'm not sure if I'm reading you correctly. Just for info:  Arima upped the HP on the 16 footers from 80 to 100. This change included my 94 SC. In fact, Belinda sent me a replacement 100 HP sticker for mine. :shrug9: 

Yat

Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Tom C

16 footers are less than 20 feet and were limited by the (width at transom x length overall x 2) -90  rule.

In these cases, a manufacturer is limited in the maximum horsepower, but can choose to assign a lower HP rating if they want.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2002-title33-vol2/xml/CFR-2002-title33-vol2-sec183-53.xml