News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Battery Add

Started by Kimbrey, October 16, 2012, 03:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimbrey

I've been wanting to add a couple more batteries but haven't really figured out where.  I guess I could do like some of the guys have done and add them forward somewhere.  After taking the tuna trip with Greg on his Osprey he had a couple of batteries in his steps just aft of the cabin bulkhead.  Hmmmm....I consider the steps on my SL a bit narrow so hardly use them.  Now I'm wonder if I can hack (nicely cut) them out of there and put in a battery box/step in that area.  Of course vented.  Comments???  Ideas???
Here's a picture of the steps.

2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

GregE

I thought about that but had an open spot in the left sponson for a third battery.

Is that a lift up hatch over the fuel tank?   Never mind- that;'s the fish box   :redface:

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Hydro-Therapy

Kim I  don't think that would be a good idea as you will be messing with the structural integrity of both the floor ,side stiffness and the alaska bulk head. To many possibilities for things to go wrong by cutting anything at that point.  :twocents:

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

Wyrguy

Kimbrey, I wasn't thinking about putting batteries in there but I was looking at putting a couple of lights to shine down on to the deck. When I checked it didn't appear to be hollow and seemed to be full of foam in there... not 100% sure though. It'd be a big mess to take out to add a small battery in my opinion. The 22 SL doesn't seem to have the 'low butt' of the other models so maybe a third battery on the port side would work or run large power cables up under the gunwales to behind the helm and use a battery there for everything up front? (use a gel cell for a 'no spill' feature and put some foam under it as it'll take more of a beating with vibration than in the stern areas.)  :twocents:

Rick
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

Kimbrey

I think I'll forget about the step idea.  I have two batteries on the starboard side but wanted some more juice as my kicker doesn't seem to keep up with my electrical load especially if I'm using my autopilot which I really like.  With an Evinrude Etec the port side is used up with the oil tank so no space there.  I'll have to figure something else.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

redbaronace

My boat has 2 batteries on the starboard side and a 3rd on the port side all in the sponson areas.  Each side has its own Perko switch and all 3 are wired into a Minn Kota battery tender system which keeps the batteries optimally charged.  This probably adds quite a bit of weight to the stern but still glad that the previous owner installed it overkill.  Having 3 batteries allows me some comfort of adding additional future electronics (stereo, lighting, etc). 

Hopefully by moving some cargo weight forward like tackle boxes and cooler, it will balance out the weight somewhat.  My recommendation is if you can add another battery, by all means do so.

BigMac

Kimbrey,

The third battery in my 22 is on the port side but yours is occupied.  What about putting it in the bilge area??  There is a ledge on each side about 18 or so inches above the hull.  I have a lot of "stuff" stored there on top of a wide board that spans the two sides.

That being said, don't know if there is enough space to get anything as wide as a battery down into that area.  (My boat is resting comfortably--I hope--at the moorage so I can't take a look and have to go on memory).  I believe the Optima batteries are fairly narrow so might allow access,  and are sealed so don't have to worry about where there are as much as an acid ones.  It also would be just a short run to the existing battery set up in the starboard sponson.

Don't believe additional weight that far aft would be an issue in the heavier 22, particularly if the boat has trim tabs which I believe yours does.

Now you've heard your allotment of crazy ideas for the day.

(Dave)

Kimbrey

Thanks Dave,
I have looked at that rail area a bit but not too hard.  The one thing I haven't looked at is a different style of battery which might fit in there easier.  When fishing on the kicker I at times get a low voltage alarm especially when using my autopilot on the troll and I really like using it.  One of my fishing friends was cussing me after fishing a day with me at Sekiu.  He said damn now you planted the idea in my head to go buy a pilot.  He liked it.  I don't think the kicker puts out enough to cover the load so I am thinking a couple more batteries in the system will help.  Also I'm not sure if it will help but I have already bought the wire to run a heavier gauge from the batteries to the console.  Can't hurt.

allpauwork

I recently had a 90hp Tohatsu installed on my SE and on my first outing, I looked at the water level with the new motor and it was where I figured it would be with one group 24 battery on the starboard side behind the lift up panel.  I wired provisions for a second battery there also but didn't install it yet and just carried the second battery, unhooked, in the cuddy.  When I got on the water, I placed the second battery next to the first one and it didn't change the water level on the transom so will install it there.  My port side area behind the lift up panel stores my incidentals for quick access.

I actually had a small battery on the boat I just sold that had enough CCAs to start a large motor and it was my backup battery.  I can't find one like it anymore but it was convenient to have it as it took up very little space.  I'll keep searching for one like it as a third battery.

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

Kimbrey....Here is my 2 cents....I like a cockpit layout using (2) Arima Companion Storage Box Seats...mounted Port & Starboard. Since I had a pedestal swivel seat on Starboard side, I located a small companion storage box seat from Vancouvertechie behind the pedestal. This addition not only brings my seating amidships to 4 persons, but also allows for an additional battery or two plus puts my extra tackle close at hand.

PS I would refrain from digging into your steps as they likely contain encapsulated foam floatation.
J Doo Dad
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

LvrWurst 21 SR Skip

Another pic Companion Aux Battery Tackle Seat  J doo Dad
19' Jetcraft  Like new 115 Yami 4 Stroke 
SOLD  16 Sea Explorer - 17 SR Skip -19 SR Skip - 21 SR Skip

German Sausages are the WURST!

Threeweight

What kind of batteries are you using now?  The sealed Optima's are quite a bit smaller than a traditional lead acid, and are supposed to last longer.  Might open up some different options.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Kimbrey

Quote from: Threeweight on October 17, 2012, 09:55:19 AM
What kind of batteries are you using now?  The sealed Optima's are quite a bit smaller than a traditional lead acid, and are supposed to last longer.  Might open up some different options.
They are the COSTCO lead acid deep cycle.  I guess Alaska is calling next week (ugh) so the boat projects are on hold for a bit but I'll probably upgrade to the Optima when I get the chance.  Hmmmm I wonder if there is a place to fit a couple of 8D's.  Those might squat the stern.

Musbane

I know I'm new here and know little about Arimas (I'm hoping over time you guys will fix that) but I do have some experience with optimas.

They are true AGM batteries which means you can mount them in any position except upside down.

They are unaffected by vibration, so moving them forward will be OK.

They do not need a vented compartment.

They have a high cranking power for their size and (when low) can accept a high rate of charge.

But..
They cost roughly twice as much as flooded batteries.

They don't want to be overcharged.

Oh, and they have such a low rate of self discharge, that you can leave them alone for six months with no damage.

And their life span has more to do with number and depth of discharges than with time.

And they don't corrode their terminals or other electronics nearby.

But they are expensive.

I'm kind of fond of them :smile1:

SRanger

Hopefully one of these days the 12-Volt Lithium Battery technology will mature and we can all lighten the load in the rear as well as mount batteries in unusual places.

SR
99 19' Arima Sea Ranger HT,  Honda BF130/BF8.
88 17' Arima Sea Ranger ST,  Yamaha F80/Merc 8 (sold)

GregE

In case some didn't see my post on another battery thread- my Marine electrician cautioned against mixing lead acid and AGM type batteries- they need different charging rates and don't do well in the same system.

'I guess Alaska is calling next week (ugh)"

-  It got cold here today so I guess that's the Bearing sea calling Kiim.  Have a sage trip.
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

ak-angler

Regarding Optimas...

When I replaced my batteries this past spring, I actually went to three local stores to buy Optimas, based solely on their former reputation, but nobody local had them in stock. So, I did a lot of research for a suitable replacement. And I'm glad I did.

They USED to have a stellar reputation until they moved the manufacturing to Mexico a couple of years ago. It seems that their quality control plan now involves resting on their reputation, blaming the consumer for their high failure rate, and crossing their fingers. The new "go-to" for high quality deep cycle AGM's in the off-road world is the Die-Hard Marine Platinum series.
1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

Threeweight

I think the Mexico issue is partly true and partly hype.  They did relocate their manufacturing, and I'm sure the quality control went down.  

On the other hand, lots of saltwater and Tuna! skippers here in Oregon use them, and I have yet to hear any of them have a major failure with a late model one.  Mine has functioned perfectly for the three seasons I have used it.  I suspect their failure rate is higher than it was.  I also suspect the name recognition thing has led more people to buy them, including people who don't understand AGM's and toast em' with cheap chargers then blame the brand and poor customer service.

Sears batteries are relabeled Odysseys made to hit a price point.  That may be good, or may be bad, depending on one's perspective.  There are only a few companies that still make batteries in the US (East Penn and Deka come to mind).  I think West Marine carries Deka AGM's but big $$$$$.

For Arima owners, the main thing about the Optima's spiral cell design is they are lighter and more compact than other AGMs (or lead acids) for their power rating.  Here's a photo of mine next to a Cabelas AGM (great warranty and specs, but made in China, unfortunately).

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson