News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

New 2021 Sea Ranger 21' HT does it come with hydraulic steering?

Started by Jc611, January 19, 2022, 05:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jc611

Question for any new buyers out there, I ordered a 21' Sea Ranger HT last year (Feb 2021) and have been patiently waiting. Recently the sales guy called me saying that I didn't have hydraulic steering. I have a yamaha 150 on the boat and I thought the boat came standard with baystar hydraulic steering (or that was what was told at the time). One they can't get a hold of baystar or seastar steering so they said they would have to install a uflex which is going to run an additional ~$900. Anybody else order a new boat from Arima and had to add on the hydraulic steering? Frustrated after all this time and being patient waiting for the boat I get a call that I need to spend more money. In the grand scheme of things it's a rounding error but $1k doesn't grow on trees. Maybe if everyone had to upgrade I might feel a bit better lol.

Fisherdv

I had to pony up for my Baystar hydraulic steering at time of build. Well worth it.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Chief of the Boat

Quote from: Jc611 on January 19, 2022, 05:43:52 PM
Question for any new buyers out there, I ordered a 21' Sea Ranger HT last year (Feb 2021) and have been patiently waiting. Recently the sales guy called me saying that I didn't have hydraulic steering. I have a yamaha 150 on the boat and I thought the boat came standard with baystar hydraulic steering (or that was what was told at the time). One they can't get a hold of baystar or seastar steering so they said they would have to install a uflex which is going to run an additional ~$900. Anybody else order a new boat from Arima and had to add on the hydraulic steering? Frustrated after all this time and being patient waiting for the boat I get a call that I need to spend more money. In the grand scheme of things it's a rounding error but $1k doesn't grow on trees. Maybe if everyone had to upgrade I might feel a bit better lol.
A few years back manufactures ditched uflex for seastar/baystar because they leaked.  I thought the 21's came standard with hydraulic steering. 

Jakemetz

My 2020 seachaser came w baystar hydrolic system. Bought from arima In Bremerton.
Pre covid boat...

Jc611

That's what I'm trying to verify. I had an older worksheet for a 21'ft sea ranger HT explorer that did show Baystar as std. Which is why I didn't feel like I needed to upgrade to seastar. Now they're saying it doesn't come standard.

davidsea

2020 Seattle Boat Show, Defiance Marine booth, "Show Special".   Yes, Baystar was standard on a 19.

1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

christianbrat

I feel like if the build sheet they gave you while you were in the process of ordering shows hydro as standard, that even if the period lapsed,  it should be included, as you were not updated with a current price sheet between then and now..

Obviously that's me as a consumer voicing my opinion, but also having run a few businesses (most relevant being rapid prototyping and small parts mfg in the bay area), that is within my standard scope for customer service for sure.

I would never change a build or pricing model once the process has started unless there's clear communication that either expenses have changed or the customers requirements have changed.
1989 Sea Explorer 16 w/ Custom Pilot House
2007 Honda BF90 & 2002 BF5
Built not Bought

If I could be an appliance I would be a toaster

Jc611

Quote from: davidsea on January 19, 2022, 10:58:44 PM
   2020 Seattle Boat Show, Defiance Marine booth, "Show Special".   Yes, Baystar was standard on a 19.

Yeah that's interesting if they're offering it in the 2020 boat show on a 19' that they say they removed it in 2021. My price worksheet we originally used to build was from a 21' Sea Ranger HT Explorer. Any idea what the difference is between the explorer and the regular sea ranger? Thought it was just that it had an extended bulkhead which if they offered it on the explorer I don't understand why it wouldn't have been standard on the regular. It also shows that it was the pricing sheet for the 2021 Program MSRP so since I bought it in Feb of 2021 it doesn't make sense.

Jc611

Quote from: christianbrat on January 19, 2022, 11:07:42 PM
I feel like if the build sheet they gave you while you were in the process of ordering shows hydro as standard, that even if the period lapsed,  it should be included, as you were not updated with a current price sheet between then and now..

Obviously that's me as a consumer voicing my opinion, but also having run a few businesses (most relevant being rapid prototyping and small parts mfg in the bay area), that is within my standard scope for customer service for sure.

I would never change a build or pricing model once the process has started unless there's clear communication that either expenses have changed or the customers requirements have changed.

Yeah from a consumer view point, it's like buying a car saying that it has power steering then saying it doesn't come with it during the order process. At this point it's the principle of what's been agreed upon.

Pdxmgunner

davidsea

After all of this, I'd just ask Defiance to delete the steering altogether, quote you a reduced price, and install what you want.  Seastar and Baystar are both available currently (no backorders) online, and it's not a difficult install.  Personally, I wouldn't want Uflex, especially not at a premium.
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

headduck

Cant wait til the consumer is back on top... gonna be a while it feels like... we are all just soooooo lucky to be able to purchase these luxury goods.... remember when folks were glad they had customers and actually worked on getting more...
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

DevMah

I had to pay extra for the hydraulic steering, I have the Baystar and feel it is undersized for the 150 IMO...
I would recommend the Seastar ( larger hydraulic system) ..

FYI
The Arima Boat homepage shows Rack and Pinion steering as standard under the Spec section.

https://arimaboats.com/sea-ranger-21/

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

bml376

I ordered my Sea Ranger 19 HT in August 2020.  The price/build sheet I got from Defiance suggested that Baystar Hydraulic steering was standard.  At least that is what I thought when I saw "Baystar Hydraulic Steering" under "Standard Features" (see image).  When it came time for me to place the order with all the options I wanted through my dealer in California, I learned that in fact hydraulic steering was not a standard feature, so I had to pay for the option.  For me, I was fine with it because the price of the boat through my dealer ended up being less than if I had ordered from Defiance directly. 

I am completely happy with my boat and have no complaints at all (other than the wait).  In total it took ~6 months from order to delivery for me to actually get the boat.
2021 Sea Ranger HT 19'

Tj805

If just order they steering kit and have it shipped to defiance .
Cut out the middle man so to speak .
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

Barnaclebob

I dont understand why they cant get baystar and would charge extra for uflex.  They could just order baystar from any number of online suppliers.
2007 Sea Ranger 19
2021 Yamaha 115
2021 Yamaha 9.9

Hunter

So JC......  What does your build sheet actually say?    I can't believe that they would even start a build without a detailed build sheet and a firm contract.    I also agree with DEV that you should get the Seastar on a 21 with a 150 or larger.   
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Jc611

Quote from: Hunter on January 20, 2022, 09:33:25 AM
So JC......  What does your build sheet actually say?    I can't believe that they would even start a build without a detailed build sheet and a firm contract.    I also agree with DEV that you should get the Seastar on a 21 with a 150 or larger.   

The build sheet that I have was used to see what the cost of the add ons were. I have the official contract but it only includes the optional equipment that was beyond standard. It doesn't show hydraulic steering added on as an option because in the build sheet we were using it showed it as a standard option. We were also using a the 2021 Sear Ranger HT Explorer build sheet when discussing because it was supposed to be the same as the 2021 Sea ranger from a standards/option pricing perspective. I also bought the boat based on the 2021 boat show special which was priced at $67K. I just don't have anything other than the build sheet we used to price the options that shows it was std, my officialy contract that only shows added options with pricing, and a picture of the 2021 special that was advertised.

La-Z-Buoy

Quote from: davidsea on January 19, 2022, 10:58:44 PM

I would interpret that as the price reflects that boat at that time. Nothing more. It does not state the Baystar steering as standard equipment. It's just how that boat was equipped and the price thereof.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Jc611

Thanks for all the advice and comments! Got it all figured out with the Arima guys. It was included and it was a mistake that they found and quickly resolved. Now just waiting for the new boat to come in and I'll post some pics when I finally get it! Have to say this forum is great with all the expertise in here. Thanks all!

PNW Pride

21' Sea Ranger/Honda 150HP