News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Launch Checklist

Started by fishmeister, January 06, 2024, 08:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishmeister

The recent thread on Solo Launching kind of prompted me to do something that I've been putting off for a while.  Figured that I'll make this its own thread.  If we can get some other contributions, perhaps this might be appropriate as a sticky-note item.

I pretty much have my "Pre-Launch Checklist" stuck in my head.  But, I've been wanting to put something in writing too.  I'm working to get my wife (often also my fishing partner) to be more knowledgeable just in case she were to find herself in the unfortunate position of having to handle this by herself.

I know that many here are "old hands" at launching a boat and that this list may not be helpful.  But, we do get some "newbies" here, from time to time, who might find this sort of thing to be useful.  So, without further ado, here's my "Pre-Launch Checklist"....

Pre-Launch Checklist

In the staging/prep area (before proceeding to launch ramp):

_____  Front safety chain removed.

_____  VHF antenna up.

_____  Remove transom saver bar and trim motor up for launch.  (T.S. Needs to be removed for next item.)

_____  Insert drain plug (or verify that it's already in).  (Check #1)

_____  Remove port side stern strap.

_____  Remove kicker tie-down strap.

_____  Take both straps and transom saver to truck for storage.

_____  Remove starboard side stern strap and put in truck.

_____  CB antenna up.

_____  Dock line(s) attached (varies based on launch facility).

_____  Fenders attached (if launching at a ramp with a dock).

_____  Verify drain plug is in.  (Check #2)

On the launch, at water edge, but right before actually backing into the water:

_____  Check for any problems/issues with launch ramp.  (Ex:  Holes at end of ramp, Debris in the water)

_____  If launch help is available: 

_____  Give front dock line to help (on dock).

_____  Release winch strap.  (Will float boat off of trailer)

_____  If solo, skip above item.  (Release after boat is in the water.  Will be pushing boat off of trailer.)

_____  Last "walk-around" to check that everything appears to be ready.

_____  Verify drain plug is in.  (Check #3)

Okay to launch boat now.

Anyone here who finds this useful is free to copy/paste it into a document and make any modifications desired.

I'll note several things (for clarity):
- I make no claims to be any sort of "expert" in this area.  This is just my list, as it applies to my Sea Hunter.  Every boat is set up a little differently.
- If you haven't already done so, develop your own routine, as it applies to your boat.  Do what works for you.  The key is to do the same thing(s), in the same order, each time.
- I have this routine set up with time efficiency in mind.  It is based on the idea that I'm going to exit the driver's side of my truck and start addressing items on the bow and then down the port side of the boat first.  Work my way to the stern.  Then finish up on the starboard side.  It doesn't place a "priority" on one item over another.
- I keep my tie-down straps separated and always use the same ones on the same side of the boat (why I take them to the truck separately).
- I have a separate strap that I use to keep my kicker from bouncing so much while traveling down the road.
- Dock lines: If launching at a dock, I'll have two lines out, hooked to the side cleats.  If not at a dock (I'll be beaching the boat), then just one line hooked to the bow/deck cleat.
- "Holes at end of ramp" refers to the holes created by others who insist on power-loading the last 6 inches and do so by cranking the throttle for their jet-props (a common occurrence on my local river).  This will create all sorts of neat "surprises" at the end of a concrete/asphalt ramp.
- No, there's not a typo.  I actually do have a CB radio on my boat.
- Your eyes are not playing tricks on you.  "Check the drain plug" does appear 3 times and is intentional.

Additional clarification - My kicker is a short shaft and is on a Garelick bracket.  When the bracket is raised (which is my normal position unless actually trolling), I have no need to trim/tilt my kicker (the boat will bottom out before the kicker motor does).  If you have a fixed bracket with a long (or XL) shaft kicker, trimming/tilting up your kicker might be a good addition to your list.   

Hope this helps someone out.   :beerchug:

1981 Sea Hunter  "iFish" (Oldest Arima on the forum??)
'22 Merc 60hp, '21 Merc 9.9 Kicker
1996 Lund WC12 (A tin can that wants to be an Arima)

positize

Superb! Love the check plug 3 times. This is such a great idea to have a list. I NEED to do this.

On my boat, I would add:
___ Disconnect trailer lights
___ Get phone, hat, coat, PFD, Grundens, boat keys, tackle and lunch from truck
___ Put on Bogs knee high boots
___Turn on battery disconnect
___ Raise both motors fully (like your list)
___ Remove motor support tubes, flip (Honda) motor support bracket off and stow support tubes (similar to yours)
___ Put keys in ignitions and bump test each starter
___ Connect both gas hoses and pump them up
___ Install/test aft running light pole (if dark, tin boat)
___ Verify push pole readily accessible
___ Connect painter to port or starboard aft cleat, depending on dock and if helper available
___ Lock truck and canopy after parking trailer

I would also benefit from a post load checklist due to my CRS. For me, that list would have 'raise motor' listed 3 times (the number of times I recall forgetting to raise the motor before I started driving up the ramp). Come to think of it, would add 'lower antenna' 3 times too :stooges:

Wow, after looking at the length of these lists, no wonder I am constantly forgetting something....
2003 Sea Ranger 21 Skip Tower
2015 Honda 150

Danno

Personally, I leave the bow winch and safety chain connected until I'm at the point before I'd get my feet wet releasing the strap and chain. That's still dry enough that the Arima won't slide back. I tie the front cleat to the dock cleat then back the truck down to float the boat.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

croaker stroker

I put the drain plug in the night before. 

Like Danno, I keep the safety chain on until the boat is in the water. I've seen a few boats slip off on the ramp. 

Don't forget "don your lifejacket" . I sometimes forget until I'm halfway to my spot. 

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

davidsea

I made up a 4X6" 2-sided card on my printer, and plastic laminated it.   The first side is things that always need to be on the boat, no matter where I'm going or for how long.   The 'flipside' is things to check before I tow, and the bottom 'extras' are things that I might take if I think I'll need them.  There's a separate (long) list if I'm going to be out overnight or longer, sleeping and cooking on the boat.  I'm updating the list for next season, some added and some removed.
  Since my SR is a hardtop with bulkhead, ALL of the above gets loaded before I leave home.  The only things not onboard are my wallet, cellphone, boat keys, lifejacket, waders, bow and stern lines, and fenders.
  If the boat isn't in the water, the drain plug is always out.   To avoid the dreaded "oh **** I forgot" drama, I have a little gadget to keep me dry.  2 components, the bright red 'REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT' tag on a ring with the white plastic device shown.  It's made from a cut-down Moeller 3-hole transom drain - the same as Arima uses on all our boats.  One of the original holes holds the ring, part of the original flange is cut to fit the screwdriver recess in the plug to tighten it, and the original center threaded hole holds the drain plug.   This combo clips to my boat key carabiner.   Since I always unlock the bulkhead door and put the key in the ignition before I remove the tiedowns and back down the ramp, the red tag screams 'Hey, dumb***, put the plug in".  The red tag stays in my tow rig as a reminder to pull the plug before I drive home.    (Old people need reminders)  :facepalm:

P1020193.JPGP1020195.JPG

1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

positize

Quote from: croaker stroker on January 06, 2024, 11:48:19 PMI put the drain plug in the night before.
As great an idea as that is, it's not legal in Oregon (and 21+ other states) due to Aquatic Invasive Species issues. I believe Washington is just an advisory 'rule' to clean and drain your vessel after use (not sure)?  Oregon will fine you if you are caught transporting a vessel with the drain plug installed: must be removed when travelling.  Bummer for us folks that Can't Remember Stuff.
2003 Sea Ranger 21 Skip Tower
2015 Honda 150

fishmeister

I like Davidsea's "before you tow" checklist.  I just might "borrow" that one for myself.  Probably going to make two of these.  One for my boat and another for my travel trailer.  I also like the 4x6 card idea.  Much more compact and easy to use.  Keep the good ideas coming. 

As more folks contribute ideas (I hope), please keep in mind that everyone will have their own ideas on how to do things.  Just because ideas/methods are different doesn't mean that anyone is right or wrong.  Some steps/items may be common to all of our boats (we all have drain plugs that need to be installed BEFORE launching the boat) others may have unique items/situations to address (Am I the only one out here who has a CB radio?).  As we are already seeing in the posts, state laws can vary and impact what we do and/or in what order. (I had no idea that some states have outlawed driving down the road with the drain plug installed.  Good info to know.)  This is why my original post stressed to "Do what works for you".

My goal with this thread was to get as wide-range of ideas as possible in order to help any "newbies" (and maybe even some of us old-farts) enjoy more time on the water while being safe.

Hunter

Always great to have a checklist.....   Thanks!

Seems like the "plug" is one of the most important checklist items for folks.  For me, I use a bright red stainless spring clamp with the word PLUG on it.  There is literally no way for me ever unhook the safety chain without seeing this clamp and saying to myself......"Hey self, I wonder why there is a clamp here with the word "PLUG" on it?"   Kinda like Davids version of lock-out / tag-out.

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Yachter Yat

I'm kinda disappointed in you guys. I mean really. I've read your posts.....perused all the items you've included in your checklists, and nowhere....I mean "nowhere", do I see "beer and potato chips".  :jester:

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

fishmeister

Quote from: Yachter Yat on January 07, 2024, 12:07:00 PMI'm kinda disappointed in you guys. I mean really. I've read your posts.....perused all the items you've included in your checklists, and nowhere....I mean "nowhere", do I see "beer and potato chips".  :jester:

Yat

That's on the "Required Equipment" checklist that is addressed at home (or the local mini-mart) before heading to the launch.   :beerchug:

Yachter Yat

Oh.....okay. Forgive me, Meister.  I wasn't made aware of the existence of that so-called "required equipment" checklist, of which you speak.  :jester:

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

ak-angler

Quote from: Hunter on January 07, 2024, 09:04:59 AMFor me, I use a bright red stainless spring clamp with the word PLUG on it.  There is literally no way for me ever unhook the safety chain without seeing this clamp

Wouldn't really work for me; the boat is already in the water before the safety chain is removed.  :shrug9: 
1985 Sea Ranger 17 Skiff Top with 2012 Suzuki DF90A - Sold

2007 Cape Cruiser Marinaut 26 with twin 2006 Honda BF90's

Hunter

Quote from: ak-angler on January 08, 2024, 10:03:01 AM
Quote from: Hunter on January 07, 2024, 09:04:59 AMFor me, I use a bright red stainless spring clamp with the word PLUG on it.  There is literally no way for me ever unhook the safety chain without seeing this clamp

Wouldn't really work for me; the boat is already in the water before the safety chain is removed.  :shrug9: 

Right....but as long as the safety chain is still connected and the "tag" reminds you that the plug is out then it's no problem to pull forward and put the plug in.   When I launch I usually back the boat in to a point where the back of the boat is in the water but still not quite "floating".....then step out and undo the safety chain (with the truck in park and e-brake applied)......then once all is disconnected I go back to the truck and complete the launch.

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

AJFishin

I have a checklist app on my iphone, actually called "Checklist" which is simple to use, tap to check or uncheck. I go over it the night before to make sure I have everything in the boat that I need to bring and then once everything is checked off, I hook my truck up to my boat trailer so I can quickly leave home.

Then when I leave the ramp, I have a second checklist to make sure my boat is secured and everything is put away.

To add I also have a similar clip on my safety chain that says "PLUG", got that idea from Hunter a few years back, it works great. :beerchug:

Here's a look at the top of my list on the app I have.

'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser