News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Area 4 Halibut closed Thursday 5/21

Started by BruceL2_Fish, May 20, 2015, 10:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceL2_Fish

I just called WDFW to confirm, halibut is closed tomorrow opens again on Saturday.  This is total bull, no notice and they close the fishery.
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

GregE

It's not on the web page?????  Who did you talk with, ph # ??

Listening to the hot line  360 902 2500
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

BruceL2_Fish

I talked to both the call line and the regional office. I suggest all call to register out displeasure at the poor planning and communication by the state. The regional office said the notice is being generated now.
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

GregE

Yes confirmed at the Coastal Office  360 249 4628

Said they had enough quota for one day and selected Sat for better weather and more access......

Expressed my displeasure-  I'm sure they are going to hear more of same.
Greg
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

GregE

Reply form WDFW copied from BDs

The news release should go out shortly. We had a long conference call this morning with folks from Neah Bay, La Push, IPHC and NMFS. We only have enough quota for one more day in the North Coast and while I recognize the short notice is not something we typically do, there was strong support for offering a Saturday rather than a Thursday to provide more fishing opportunity and give anglers better access to the remaining resource. We also considered the weather which is marginal for Thursday and better on Saturday which should also improve access for fishermen. The decision to close Neah Bay after one more fishing day was going to be difficult regardless and I felt more comfortable explaining the short notice than explaining that the last day would be offered on a day that could create safety issues for some. I am responsible for the decision, I hope my explanation of the rationale behind the decision helps. ~Heather
Greg

GregE

Just phoned HemiGTX - they were already to CQ.

gonna be a lot of unhappy folks showing up a NB
Greg

rasslingref

What the heck?  Less than 24 hour notice. Someone earned a huge black eye on this deal. See most of you up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1998 19' SR HT 2019 Yamaha 115 2017 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

Chasin Baitman

OH

MY

GOD

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is so typical of the ever-increasing incompetence of the agency.  They will say "we don't WANT to do this and find no joy taking opportunity away from anglers, especially at the last minute" which is absolutely true.  But it doesn't mean they aren't incompetent.

Radio Shack didn't WANT to go bankrupt.  Hoover didn't WANT to country to slide into a depression.  Wanting the right thing to happen doesn't necessarily equal good management.

Unsworth is off to such a bad start.
2011 19' Sea Ranger, 2011 Suzuki DF115, 2011 Honda 8 kicker

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

Threeweight

The notice sucks, but the quota isn't set by WDFW, that comes from the Pacific Halibut Commission and is set jointly by the US and Canada.  We burned through a metric shat ton of halibut quota last week at Neah Bay.  I know not everyone got into fish, but judging by the fish cleaning station most boats limited both days.  My three guys got 6 keepers, and released at least 6 or 8 more.

The ham-fisted thing is the late notice. 
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Chasin Baitman

Yeah, managing the quota is THEIR JOB.  The problem is how slowly the data moves through the system due to bureaucratic inefficiency.  Surprise!  This is exactly what happened with blackmouth in area 7.  When they reduced the bag limit to 1 they were ALREADY OVER QUOTA but didn't know it because the data moves so slow.  When they finally got caught up they were like "oh crap, we have to close the area!".  Awful.

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

croaker stroker

"Heather" is going to receive a lot of flak for that one.   :stooges:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Chasin Baitman

Pretty soon we're all going to be "recreational boaters" here in WA

HemiGTX

Thanks for the call, Greg.  We ducked into Sekiu and will pound it out here on Thurs-Fri, then head up to Neah after the morning tide.  Several Arimas here already. 

I called wdfw and voiced my disgust as well. 
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

CanvasGuy

Well Thanks to Bruce's call
we changed plans and are staying here in Sequim sleeping @ home...
mooring @ John Wayne for 4 hali days... :yeahthat:

Thanks Again Bruce. boats in the water ready to go.
big salmon isn't taking any calls left message before the box was full...
They owe me credit for last week , they overcharged me for two days moorage..plus todays.. we'll see...
Good luck to the guys out west...
Gary Smart
boatless  now
http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

HANNIBAL II

" The smaller the boat the more you take it out "
-Capt. Rick

Sea Hunter 50Hp E-tec / 2Hp Yamaha 4 stroke
H-Dock Santa Cruz Harbor

BigMac

I was at C 11 when the word came down.  Found out via the fish checker, who after checking in our fish, went to the blue North River tied up in C 13.

The guy apparently hadn't heard the word yet, so it fell on the poor fish checker to give him the bad news.  He really got steamed and ripped on her, but she kept her cool and it never got out of control.  I was watching and listening in case it really got ugly (don't know what I would have done, but fortunately didn't get to find out).

I felt so sorry for her, so I stopped her as she went by C 11 and complimented her on the way she handled the situation.

Yeah--they could have figured out the count and made the decision sooner. Would have limited the heartburn.  Maybe their abacus was broken.

(Dave)

dbhazjack

Hi Dave, (Big Mac), I was behind you in C11 in the "white white" 17 Chaser.
Thanks for your help at the dock. I wish we could of fished with you guys. Maybe next year.
As to the poor checker, it seems that the folks that make the decisions are seldom the ones in contact with the public. She obviously had nothing to do with it. My daughter is a flight attendant and typically catches it when the airline mess up people's plans. She's always thankful when there's a Big Mac on board to watch her back.
So I'm I.....
2013 17' Sea Chaser, 90 hp Honda, 8 hp Honda Kicker. SOLD

BigMac