News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Nov. 10&11 crabbing - Hammond

Started by Threeweight, November 11, 2012, 10:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threeweight

Similar report to Russ'.  

My wife and I spent the weekend in Hammond (rented a KOA cabin), planning to stock up on crab for chowder and such.  Nice tides this weekend (high slack at 10:00 and 11:00 AM respectively), crappy weather (windy and sunny Saturday, crazy windy, rain, and small craft advisory Sunday).

Crabbed around Buoy 22, using a mix of Tuna! bellies and shad for bait.  On Saturday we dropped 3 traps in 30' for water or so at 8:30, had 2 limits (24) by 10:00.  Big dinner plate guys, and quite full.  On Sunday we dropped in 23' of water, first drop around 9:00, done by 10:45.  Scratchier on Sunday, more undersize and fewer crab but we still got two limits.  Tuna! outfish shad by a large margin.

If anyone is thinking of making the trek out to Hammond, the KOA cabins are cheap during the winter ($35 a night), dry, and have heaters.  My wife approves.

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

redbaronace

Quote from: Threeweight on November 11, 2012, 10:51:42 PM
Similar report to Russ'.  

My wife and I spent the weekend in Hammond (rented a KOA cabin), planning to stock up on crab for chowder and such.  Nice tides this weekend (high slack at 10:00 and 11:00 AM respectively), crappy weather (windy and sunny Saturday, crazy windy, rain, and small craft advisory Sunday).

Crabbed around Buoy 22, using a mix of Tuna! bellies and shad for bait.  On Saturday we dropped 3 traps in 30' for water or so at 8:30, had 2 limits (24) by 10:00.  Big dinner plate guys, and quite full.  On Sunday we dropped in 23' of water, first drop around 9:00, done by 10:45.  Scratchier on Sunday, more undersize and fewer crab but we still got two limits.  Tuna! outfish shad by a large margin.

If anyone is thinking of making the trek out to Hammond, the KOA cabins are cheap during the winter ($35 a night), dry, and have heaters.  My wife approves.

Could you post more details about this place.  On forum or PM.

Threeweight

This is the Columbia River estuary, on the south (Oregon) side.  Be advised this area is known for big tide swings, fast current, and potentially gnarly weather.  Pick your days carefully.

Here are a couple of good resources...

Leeroy's Ramblings guide to this area (oriented towards the famous Buoy 10 salmon fishery in August/September):

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Buoy%2010.htm

Here's a map showing the general crabbing location on the South side of the estuary:

Here is Leeroy's guide to crabbing:

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Crabing.htm

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Hydro-Therapy

There is only little over 2 weeks of crabbing  left before the COMMERCIALS get to set there traps . Last check it was going to be Dec. 1 and can set pots 64 hrs prior to opening.

H-T
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

redbaronace

Ah, well I will make a mental note to possibly visit there next year. 

A few questions for knowledgeable folks here.

Can I fish and crab on the Columbia River using my Washington Freshwater License and eat my catch in Hammond Oregon?

Also, when you stay at these lodging ($35/night), where do you leave your boat at night and when not in use (moored, back on trailer, beached)?

Threeweight

Re: licenses, WA and OR honor each others licenses for the main stem of the Columbia, regardless from where you launch, so you are covered there.

An alternative launch point is Ilwaco, a small fishing town with a great marina on the Washington side of the River.  Cape Disappointment State Park is right up the road (and has it's own boat ramp), and is a great and beautiful spot.  The exit from the channel there puts you right out in big water, at the interior edge of the Columbia River bar.  There are some good crabbing spots on the WA side as well, but the current runs even stronger there.

There is a big state park on the Oregon side (Fort Stevens) just up the road from Hammond... it is not as nice as Cape Disappointment in my opinion (sites are packed together more, less privacy, less scenic), but a nice option if you have an RV in the winter.  For Buoy 10 salmon fishing, you need to reserve a spot there 6+ months in advance.

When I am doing a weekend trip, I trailer my boat to the KOA or state park.  Lets me flush the motors.  The ramps are not super busy during crabbing season (during salmon season it is a zoo).

--- Hunter S. Thompson

xplorz

Cape D ramp requires a Discover Pass along with the launch fee. Port of Ilwaco, its just the $8 ramp fee.
'89 Arima Sea Chaser 17, 98 Honda horses.

StreamFixer

Chinook also has a launch, but really watch where you are in the channel.  If you are not 'in the channel' your depth finder alarm will be screaming and you might get to stir up some mud.  I am talking about 15 to 20 feet out of the channel.

And I know this because...... :whistle: :facepalm: :redface:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu