News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Bring this to America?

Started by Yachter Yat, March 17, 2020, 10:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherdv

2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Yachter Yat

Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Yachter Yat

I really wish Bo would consider contacting Advanced Fiberglass in NZ to discuss the possibility of importing this little Zenith 4.0 Fisher.  Advanced makes bigger boats as well, but Defiance/Arima has those sizes pretty well covered.  Consequently, the 4.0 is really the only model they would need in order to fill (what I feel is) the "void" in their line-up........and yes, shut-me-up, as well! Haha   Would be awfully nice to be able to buy these directly from Defiance.   With a bit of "targeted marketing", I don't think it would be too long before these began showing-up everywhere.  As an example I sighted earlier:  Place one in the Boat Show.....directly across the aisle from the SeaDoo Jet Ski display, and Bo might find himself having to lease a self-addressed-stamped C5 military transport to meet the sudden demand.  Yeah, I joke about it, but can almost see that happening.  Ha

Something else:  In order to "differenciate" the models that come to Bremerton from those sold "Down Under", Defiance could have Advanced  "tone down" that "bright white" and have them painted in Arima's off-white color.  Additionally, cleats on the imported models could be upgraded to something like Sea Dog's 316 stainless safety cleats.  Beyond that; things like canvas, rod holders, boarding ladders, etc. could be offered as options and installed by Defiance.   Perhaps pre-rigging with Honda 50's could also be considered.  I believe that would not only serve to enhance the margin on these, but make it a bit more attractive for some potential buyers as well.   We shall see, I guess. 

Yat

Edit:  Could this be labeled...."Sea Scout".  I say, yes!

Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Yachter Yat

Deck shot.    Me likey!

Yat

Edit:  Those two coolers must be options.  I don't see those listed anywhere.  I'd probably opt for one in the center. 
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

AJFishin

That 4.0 Fisher kind of reminds me of this little gem.... :jester:
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Fisherdv

AJFishin

On the subject of New Zealand boats, Reflax America is another New Zealand boat company that has a warehouse here in LA now. It's not a pocket rocket boat like Yat's 2nd dream boat, but a nice looking boat, kind of has a similar look as a Arima's ?
I saw it for the first time a couple years ago at the LA Boat Show and again this year at the Fred Hall Show, and IMO, the only thing I didn't like was the wide open cuddy in the boat, but it can be draped off.

https://www.reflex-america.com/

croaker stroker

The Arima hull design is patented. I can't see the back part of the hull, but I wonder if that infringes on the Arima patent.??
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AJFishin

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on March 20, 2020, 02:38:38 PM

The Arima hull design is patented. I can't see the back part of the hull, but I wonder if that infringes on the Arima patent.??

Is this what you're wanting to see CS?

croaker stroker

I'd say that is too similar.  Maybe the Arima patent has expired ??
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AJFishin

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on March 20, 2020, 02:58:19 PM
I'd say that is too similar.  Maybe the Arima patent has expired ??

There are some similarities especially when you look around the boat.

A company I worked for about 10 years ago, applied for a design patent for a trade show booth we designed and I think it was good for 20 years.

ohmytodd

Having spent the past 18 months working on securing a patent, Arima's only has as much value as Arima has legal fees to mount a defense of their IP. It's amazing what some companies try, and get away with just because the original patent holder doesn't have a 6/7 figure legal defense budget. 
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

Mooch

I don't know about patents but it has greater dead rise than an Arima.
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Yachter Yat

AJ;  That little boat you posted a pic of........is "dangerous".   That's the kind of hull that can quickly turn into a submarine.   If you would, just take a close look at the side view of this legitimately honest "small ocean-going craft":     

This picture should make it obvious.   It tells us why this boat is so seaworthy.  In fact, it doesn't just "tell" us.......it "screams" to us.   Can you see it?   These Kiwis aren't crazy.  Ha

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Yachter Yat

Pursuant to the above, here's is a classic example of a poorly engineered hull:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68AOltMu768    What's frightening is, this boat is substantially bigger than the one in your photo.  My Arima would never do that.  I don't believe the Zenith would either.  If there's a moral to this, it's probably that, hull "length" doesn't necessarily mean hull "safety".   

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

What exactly is Arima's patent? Many boats including Zodiacs, Pontoon boats, and other fiberglass boats have a forward transom design?

ohmytodd

Quote from: Fisherdv on March 20, 2020, 04:00:00 PM
What exactly is Arima's patent? Many boats including Zodiacs, Pontoon boats, and other fiberglass boats have a forward transom design?

https://patents.google.com/patent/US4492176?oq=arima+boats

Expired in 2002

ohmytodd

Fisherdv

Quote from: ohmytodd on March 20, 2020, 04:18:42 PM
Quote from: Fisherdv on March 20, 2020, 04:00:00 PM

https://patents.google.com/patent/US4492176?oq=arima+boats

Expired in 2002
Thanks for that Todd.

headduck

Quote from: ohmytodd on March 20, 2020, 04:34:56 PM
Huh, looks like Mr. Arima was a busy guy...

https://patents.google.com/?inventor=Juichi+Arima

Super interesting... the description of the "whys" for our boat are great...the extended stakes/sponsors, were, along with the other modifications, ironically intended to reduce the need for trim tabs as well as increase buoyancy past the COG of the motor. Also illustrates the desire to make turns more sure footed as well as remove cavitation from typical strakes in v hulls of the day.

Fuel efficiency is key enroute and towing. Was '77 during the gas crisis? I was just a toddler and my memory is foggy...(73 and 79 according to google)

The hull sure has evolved, and he certainly scrutinized every fold and plane.

It was short 14'4", 7' wide.

Thanks for the share.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Yachter Yat

So, I was just perusing Defiance's website.  Looks like Bo handles a number of different lines.   I see Defiance (of course), Arima, Raider, StarCraft and (I don't know what this is) Sorensen?  Anyway, with that in mind, I'm wondering if my little Zenith 4.0 Fisher couldn't find a "slot" in there somewhere??   Maybe Bo would have to have a number of "commitments" before moving on this?   I'd be first in line to preorder, that's for sure. 

Something tells me Advanced Fiberglass in NZ would be more than willing to gel these little devils in Arima off-white, as well as affix a few upgraded pieces of hardware, in order to get tied-in with a reputable distributor in America like Defiance.  Keep in mind:  That exchange rate between the U.S. and New Zealand (in and of itself) could make this very attractive.  All I ask is the rights to distribute anywhere East of the Mississippi.  Haha          Bo?......Mr. Palmer?.......Bo?........Are you up?   

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Yachter Yat

Stop this one at 7 seconds.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhHGB7RMQNQ   I know someone who's going to want mine......I might have to get two.  Ha

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Yachter Yat

Stop this one at 8.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fh8pBokMDU   I might have to get three.  Haha   Anybody with me?

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Yachter Yat

Seeing this last pic has just about "pushed me over".  I think this little Zenith 4.0 would really serve my purposes best, going forward.  Just seems this small craft has so much going for it; at least in terms of how I envision it with respect to my own future potential boating activities.   

Allow me to expound:   Occasionally, there arrives a point in time when some of us come to realize that we live in parts of the Country where the boating season is (realistically) perhaps no more than about 100 days long.  At least that's how it is here in New England.  Couple that with the ever worsening climate; that dictates only a fraction of those days might be considered "legitimately feasible" for a small boat, and you begin to wonder where your place is in all of this.  Just the other day, the wife and I were recalling the number of outings we did last year.   Ready?.........That number is "4".  Back in the 70's and 80's it seemed closer to "40". Further, we were trying to predict how often we may be going out this coming season.  Truth is, with all the restrictions being imposed with this virus, and the list of maintenance projects planned around here, as well as the normal upkeep of our property; we couldn't see where we'd be doing any more.  Hopefully, not less.

So, as you may be able to understand, my thoughts of downsizing even further are not just a question of freeing-up a bit more storage space in the garage, or not being able to keep any fish.........or, lessening the level of maintenance required of a larger boat.  It's really a bit more complicated.  Sort of a bigger picture, I suppose you could say.   Don't get me wrong, our Arima is (without a doubt) the best small boat we've ever owned.  The smallest we've ever owned, yet the one we've had the most fun with.

That said, I look at the Zenith 4.0 as sort of a "Go to Boat"!   The kind of craft that can easily be deployed on short notice.  What makes it especially attractive to me is...despite its small stature, it appears to be able to provide (what looks like) a substantial amount of protection from the elements.  Something I never fail to consider as "top priority" in any boat.  Here's the thing:  Tell me what Ocean on Earth isn't "silk city" in the morning, and a bit "nasty" in the afternoon?  I can't count the number of times it may have been nice to be able to go out for maybe four hours or so (before things kick up) without having to launch and service the "Queen Mary III".  Admit it, you know what I'm talking about.  And BTW......if things do "kick-up" a bit, I suspect that little deep V should be more than able to get you back in pretty short order.  Possibly even without having to pay a visit to your dentist.  Ha   

I certainly understand that this boat is not for everybody, but I think it does provide a viable option for what could be many.  Up to this point, I've been a bit reluctant to contact Advanced Fiberglass to discuss the potential of ordering this thing.  Guess I was sort of waiting to see what (if any) response I got from our members.  If there was any interest beyond my own, I thought perhaps Defiance would give serious consideration to becoming involved.  I guess if it flops in "Arimaland", then I'll just go on my own.   

Yat

16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Yachter Yat

Here are just a few questions for some of you:

1.  Do you fish from a Jet Ski, and find your crotch is getting so red and chafed from the "saddle" on that watercycle, that no ointment (available without prescription of course) is helping?

2.   Do you fish from a kayak, and are beginning to discover your getting "on" to a point where, very shortly, you'll have to be wearing a diaper in order to make a trip of any duration, feasible......but the potential of doing so, and having people find out, will be so embarassing that you'll have to move out of town?

3.   Are you getting tired of having to launch and retrieve the "Queen Mary" every time you simply want to go fishing for a few hours on a nice calm morning?    .

4.  Are you getting tired of having to wash, clean, polish and generally maintain said aforementioned "Queen Mary"......as well as having to possibly evict whatever "wildlife" may have taken-up residency during its idle period?

5.   Have you been on the water long enough, that you have "explored the far-away-lands beyond the horizon", and know pretty much what's over there?

Okay.......if you've answered "yes" to any of the above, then I would suggest going back to the beginning of this thread.  Read and look carefully.   Haha

Yat

Hey.........I'm "housebound".  Haha

16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)