News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Bring this to America?

Started by Yachter Yat, March 17, 2020, 10:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yachter Yat

Hey guys;  Take a look at the lower shaft casing on that Evinrude 40, hanging on that Zenith boat I linked earlier.  Ever seen anything like that?  Almost looks like they put a 25" motor on a 20" transom??  Also seems to look like that motor shaft had some kind of "extension kit" installed.   What's with the "fins" on that housing, just above the cav plate?  Go figure!

One thing I do like though, is the clear vinyl across the front of the canvas.  Great for visibility.  Hey...maybe I should call Arima and suggest this as an alternative?   Aah....on second thought...think I'll just cut my toenails instead.

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

headduck

Looks like the motor is mounted high (gap at transom) and and shaft is long. Attempt keep the power head dry?

2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Yachter Yat

headduck:  Yeah....that's the only thing I could think of as well.   I'd go with a 20" Honda 50 on that thing. 

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Yachter Yat

Just had to show you this:  I call it, an "informal launch of my favorite puppy". Ha       https://www.naturespic.com/newzealand/image.asp?id=48163   I don't know, but I think that Merc looks a bit overkill on that hull.  IMO, the Honda 50 would be "the" motor of choice for that boat. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

AJFishin

Yeah it does seem to be a little bit of an over kill  :jester:

'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Fisherdv

2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Wiley

I thought you might go for twins ?
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

Yachter Yat

Now there's a rig you'd never screw with!   Haha

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

ohmytodd

1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AJFishin

Quote from: croaker stroker on October 16, 2020, 04:01:02 PM
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bod/d/anaheim-big-sale-2020-reflex-485/7214158128.html

They're the 2nd or 3rd SoCal dealer to be selling them. From what I've read, they're selling well, hard not to for the price and what you get standard.

Yachter Yat

This Ca. dealer is importing boats from New Zealand?   I wonder if they'd be interested in handling the Zenith??  Still have to get it to New England.   :doh:

Yat 

16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

amazing grace

That is a nice set up. I do like how they have set the boat up. Excellent job of doing so and refreshing to see. Not a huge fan of the transom design though. 
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Danno

Quote from: amazing grace on October 17, 2020, 07:15:10 AM
That is a nice set up. I do like how they have set the boat up. Excellent job of doing so and refreshing to see. Not a huge fan of the transom design though.

Why not? It's pretty much a copy of the Arima design
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

AJFishin

Quote from: Yachter Yat on October 17, 2020, 04:52:50 AM
     This Ca. dealer is importing boats from New Zealand?   I wonder if they'd be interested in handling the Zenith??  Still have to get it to New England.   :doh:

Yat

The warehouse for Reflex is in Chino, about 30 minute drive from me. They first came to the US back 2017 I believe, and when I first took a look at them back then, they reminded me of Arima's in a way, if Defiance redesigned them to be more modern in design. This model and 19 foot model is kind of like a mix of the Sea Chaser and Sea Ranger without the protruding cabin on one side.
Last year the first dealer to be selling these boats is South Mountain Yachts in Dana Point, where they have the full line including the pilothouse boat.
https://youtu.be/PKpneBQjjGg

Personally the name "Chianti" doesn't go to well with boating, maybe a good name for a vineyard  :jester:

amazing grace

it is similar, but is more sloping and seems lower cut at the stern to me. maybe it is just me.  :cha:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Yachter Yat

Reflex appears to be pretty well built.  That said, what bothers me is seeing that rub rail seam so close to the waterline.  Additionally, that transom does seem a bit "busy".  As with Arima, I suspect those curvatures add a bit of weight back there.  I also believe, having that motor "indentation" decreases the amount of potential buoyancy, aft.  It's quite possible this could very well be what contributed to Arima's reputation for being "butt heavy".  I'm more of a Haines Hunter fan.  Like this one:  https://www.haineshunter.com.au/565-offshore   Scroll-down on their site and you can 'slide' for more pics.

Of the boats I owned, the best transom design was on my old 77 Silverline 17 Nantucket....simple, yet effective.  Seemed to hold that 150 Johnson up like it wasn't even there.   

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Yachter Yat

16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Yachter Yat

What's that?........You want more?..........Okay.............Here's one in progress:  https://autoinsiders.co.nz/autofair/sales-ad/13689/4.01metre-4.1-metre-Fisher-NZ-Boats-2018   Now, if I could just get them to answer my emails.  Hey.......maybe they think we have too much Covid.  :facepalm:

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Quote from: Yachter Yat on October 17, 2020, 12:18:02 PM
   What's that?........You want more?..........Okay.............Here's one in progress:  https://autoinsiders.co.nz/autofair/sales-ad/13689/4.01metre-4.1-metre-Fisher-NZ-Boats-2018   Now, if I could just get them to answer my emails.  Hey.......maybe they think we have too much Covid.  :facepalm:

Yat
Put on your mask when you email them. Then they might respond  :cha:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

rclark4179

Quote from: Yachter Yat on October 17, 2020, 12:18:02 PM

Yat
Even with the 33% exchange rate this one seemed very affordable @18grand USD. When I looked up the exchange rate I got a sense of how our Canadian nieghbors must feel.
Fish do not fear my name...crab however, do, and should.

81 15' Hunter "SKUA", 40 hp MERC, British Seagull kicker (SOLD)
85 17' Chaser, "SKUA II"' 90 hp MERC,9.9 Yamaha

Yachter Yat

RC;  Yeah,  current exchange rate is approx. .66.  So........66x$11,500 is $7590.  Not bad!  Course, I don't want to talk about shipping.  Ha   Can you guess why I might be just a bit exited?  Haha 

Fisher;  If I told them Jacinda Ardern. was a close friend of mine...do you suppose that might help?  Ha

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

rclark4179

RC;  Yeah,  current exchange rate is approx. .66.  So........66x$11,500 is $7590.  Not bad!  Course, I don't want to talk about shipping.  Ha   Can you guess why I might be just a bit exited?  Haha 

I read the exchange rate as one NZD=66 cents US?
Fish do not fear my name...crab however, do, and should.

81 15' Hunter "SKUA", 40 hp MERC, British Seagull kicker (SOLD)
85 17' Chaser, "SKUA II"' 90 hp MERC,9.9 Yamaha

Yachter Yat

Yes; that's what it appears to be at this time.   That said, these exchange rates are always subject to change. 

Yat     
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Yachter Yat

I wonder how receptive this dealer in Chino would be to importing some of the other boats from New Zealand.  Not just the Zenith, but maybe the Haines Hunters, or perhaps the Frewzas as well. :shrug9:   Anybody know these people? 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)