News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Re-power recommendation for Sea Ranger 19

Started by sailajay45, August 08, 2020, 04:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tailout

My Sea Ranger 19 has a 90hp Honda, I think it's about 370lbs. What would be the max weight of a outboard you could put on a SR19? I'm thinking of repowering staying with Honda, I'm thinking 100hp, the next size up weights about 100 lbs more. The boat gets on plane good and does 30+. The motor is getting a little old, 13 years. I'm running a SS prop and trim tabs. IMHO Arima's should come with trim tabs, makes a world of difference.
2022 Arima 19' Sea Chaser Yellowtail  115 hp Yamaha, Yamaha 9.9 kicker
Fish Rite 17x54 drift boat 6hp Yamaha
2007  Sea Ranger 19',  90 hp Honda 8hp Honda Kicker (Sold)

wedocq

Bruce2fish has the Suzuki 115 lean burn and loves the engine. We buddy boat all the time and he has no issues keeping up out on the ocean. His fuel mileage is INCREDIBLE! While I am getting a little over 3 mpg, he's usually averaging WELL OVER 5. I remember one trip that was OVER 7. So if you are ok topping out in the low 30's for mph (which is more than plenty on the ocean), the motor is a great choice!

Now if you are looking for a fishing boat that feels more like a sports car, the 140 is definitely zippy for the 19 SR. Another fishing buddy had one on his boat. The 140 on the 19SR does to it, what the 175 has done for my 21 SR. 40 plus top speeds with tons of getup and go!

-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Fisherdv

Just my 2c here from what I've observed. The motors in the 370ish# weight range would be the max weight I would want on a 19. The next jump up in motors is in the 478# range. If the Suzi 140 is in the <400 # range, it would be a no brainer. I've heard a few complaints from members here with a 478# motor that were unhappy with how low the rear end sat in the water. Just do a google search and look at photos of a 19 with a 478ish # motor on it. You can definitely see that the rear end sits really low in the water.

In summary, I would stay under 400# no matter what the motor.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

davidsea

Unless you do all your own work, find the best DEALER in your area and buy whatever brand they sell.  Somewhere between 100 and 150HP, depending on how much weight you will be carrying, and your budget.  I don't think it's possible to buy a bad motor anymore, and I would be happy with Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Mercury, or Tohatsu.  Closeout pricing on an Evinrude would not be an option for me, with Bombardier's record of poor customer support.  For most people, I think 115 is the sweet spot on a 19.  I have a 2018 Honda BF115 on my 19 hardtop, and wouldn't trade it for anything else.   m2c
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Norcalfish80

Quote from: Danno on August 12, 2020, 07:00:36 AM
NorCal, we feel your pain but as another 19' Arima owner with a 115 hp (mine's a SC), there's no reason you should see any planing issues. I had a SR with a carbureted Honda 90 and while it was a bit slower to plane when the boat was really loaded, it still was more than adequate.

I'm sure it's all in your prop design.

Makes sense, will take to a prop guy soon.
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA

mariner

Quote from: Norcalfish80 on August 11, 2020, 09:52:43 PM
Some kind of four blade prop. I can grab the prop info next time I'm with the boat. It could be I'm just not used to it but I really have to work to get it on plane as opposed to my old Montauk or really any other boat I've been on. It's not awful or unworkable ie I can get it up in rough conditions but it's not ideal at all.

Improper Prop specs would definately make getting onto plane difficult and strenuous on your motor... However, another thing to consider is this...Have you checked out the mounting height of your outboard motor? For some reason many boat dealers including a few arima dealers still go by the old rule that the cav plate should be level with the bottom of hull.   That is NOT correct as each boat is different depending on hull design, transom design, setback, weight distribution of boat etc.... My new 115 Merc was originally mounted on the lowest hole... Don't have the exact numbers in front of me but I think on the lowest hole the cav plate was about 3/4" above the bottom of hull which means I am actually too high according to some dealers who go by the rule of having the cav plate even with hull bottom.   HOwever, with my setup there was a lot of drag while getting onto plane and when on a plane and looking out at the back of transom into the water I can see the cav plate is completely submerged which means it's digging in and creating excess drag and pulling the rear down.  This created a bumpy and rough ride even in light chop.   I raised it up to the next hole and now it is 1.5"  above the bottom of the hull.   The boat rides night and day better.   I am now able to glide and cut through light chop better than before since I'm riding higher on the water whereas before the rear was sucked down and so even in light chop the front of the bow would slam down on even light to moderate chop.  Doesn't do that any longer.   I am also getting better fuel economy and noticed that at the same RPM in same conditions I am running about 2-3 mph faster.   When I look at the cav plate now it is skimming on top of the water like it should.   I am surprised at how many dealers, including arima dealers, are mounting their motors incorrectly for their customers.   Prior to me experimenting and moving the engine height, I didn't know any better.   Just thought that was how my boat rides.   

So long story short, before you experiment with props and spending money on them, make sure your engine height is at the proper height.  Then dial in the prop.   Just my 2 cents from the experience I went through.   Also, different manufacturers have slight differences in the actual height of their 20" outboard engines and therefore each manufacturer's engines will sit slightly at different heights compared to transom bottom so you need to do some on water testing to dial in the specs for your setup.
1999 19 Sea Ranger HT: 2018 Merc115 CT ProXS: 2018 Merc9.9 ProKicker

Fisherdv

Quote from: mariner on August 12, 2020, 12:47:57 PM
Quote from: Norcalfish80 on August 11, 2020, 09:52:43 PM
Some kind of four blade prop. I can grab the prop info next time I'm with the boat. It could be I'm just not used to it but I really have to work to get it on plane as opposed to my old Montauk or really any other boat I've been on. It's not awful or unworkable ie I can get it up in rough conditions but it's not ideal at all.

Improper Prop specs would definately make getting onto plane difficult and strenuous on your motor... However, another thing to consider is this...Have you checked out the mounting height of your outboard motor? For some reason many boat dealers including a few arima dealers still go by the old rule that the cav plate should be level with the bottom of hull.   That is NOT correct as each boat is different depending on hull design, transom design, setback, weight distribution of boat etc.... My new 115 Merc was originally mounted on the lowest hole... Don't have the exact numbers in front of me but I think on the lowest hole the cav plate was about 3/4" above the bottom of hull which means I am actually too high according to some dealers who go by the rule of having the cav plate even with hull bottom.   HOwever, with my setup there was a lot of drag while getting onto plane and when on a plane and looking out at the back of transom into the water I can see the cav plate is completely submerged which means it's digging in and creating excess drag and pulling the rear down.  This created a bumpy and rough ride even in light chop.   I raised it up to the next hole and now it is 1.5"  above the bottom of the hull.   The boat rides night and day better.   I am now able to glide and cut through light chop better than before since I'm riding higher on the water whereas before the rear was sucked down and so even in light chop the front of the bow would slam down on even light to moderate chop.  Doesn't do that any longer.   I am also getting better fuel economy and noticed that at the same RPM in same conditions I am running about 2-3 mph faster.   When I look at the cav plate now it is skimming on top of the water like it should.   I am surprised at how many dealers, including arima dealers, are mounting their motors incorrectly for their customers.   Prior to me experimenting and moving the engine height, I didn't know any better.   Just thought that was how my boat rides.   

So long story short, before you experiment with props and spending money on them, make sure your engine height is at the proper height.  Then dial in the prop.   Just my 2 cents from the experience I went through.
:yeahthat:

wedocq

Quote from: Fisherdv on August 12, 2020, 11:40:10 AM
Just my 2c here from what I've observed. The motors in the 370ish# weight range would be the max weight I would want on a 19. The next jump up in motors is in the 478# range. If the Suzi 140 is in the <400 # range, it would be a no brainer. I've heard a few complaints from members here with a 478# motor that were unhappy with how low the rear end sat in the water. Just do a google search and look at photos of a 19 with a 478ish # motor on it. You can definitely see that the rear end sits really low in the water.

"Unhappy with how low the rear end sat in the water".  Hmmmm. What does this actually mean? I haven't heard of a single Arima sinking because they had a 140 Suzuki on the back. I have a Suzuki 175, which is 531 pounds. I regularly fish 3 large dudes, with a 40 gallon bait tank in the back as well for tuna. YES, it sits lower in the rear end. So what? I don't get why that's a big deal? Mine is a 21' SR, but it's got the same rear end as a 19'. I have NEVER felt unsafe.
-Shawn

Fisherdv

Quote from: wedocq on August 12, 2020, 01:19:39 PM

"Unhappy with how low the rear end sat in the water".  Hmmmm. What does this actually mean? I haven't heard of a single Arima sinking because they had a 140 Suzuki on the back. I have a Suzuki 175, which is 531 pounds. I regularly fish 3 large dudes, with a 40 gallon bait tank in the back as well for tuna. YES, it sits lower in the rear end. So what? I don't get why that's a big deal? Mine is a 21' SR, but it's got the same rear end as a 19'. I have NEVER felt unsafe.
-Shawn
If you re-read my post I said a Suzi 140 would be a no brainer. Meaning a perfect choice.

Another member was unhappy with how low the transom sat in the water. I'm just passing on the info so others can decide if that's ok with them.

I'll try to find the video I watched with a few dudes standing in back of a heavy motor 19 while fishing for Halibut out of Neah Bay. They were fighting a fish and the splashwell was COMPLETELY FULL of water the whole time. I hope those cable boots were sealed up tight. I sure wouldn't be happy with that. My 2C.

gtboosted

-Shawn

He did mention that he is talking about the 19'. Even though the 21 and 19 share the same rear end you would see more squatting on the 19 due to leverage.

21' Sea Ranger Skip Top

wedocq

The 140 is over 400lbs, that's why I said that. There's a lot of people here with Honda and Yamaha 150's that are nearly as heavy as my 175. My splash well is full of water ALL THE TIME. I guess I don't understand what you are trying to imply? It's not safe with water in the splash well? The only inconvenience I have had to deal with is raising the boot up with the motor controls. Other than that, the boat is perfectly operational. And I can almost guarantee I push my Arima harder than most. I run it heavy when I tuna fish, I have been as far as 75 miles offshore, I have had white knuckle Columbia river bar crossings, and I have fished more than my fair share of small craft advisories. I am just saying, sitting a little low in the back should not be a deciding factor.
-Shawn

Fisherdv

To the average weekend warrior, with little boating experience, seeing the splashwell as full as a swimming pool might freak them out a little bit.

It's all personal preference I guess.

mariner

Quote from: gtboosted on August 12, 2020, 02:54:25 PM

-Shawn

He did mention that he is talking about the 19'. Even though the 21 and 19 share the same rear end you would see more squatting on the 19 due to leverage.

Also, If I recall correctly and unless I missed something, the discussion wasn't around a safety concern but rather a performance concern around too much stern weight which is evident in water coming into the splashwell... which the main outboard is a big part of in terms of the contribution to stern weight.   No I've NEVER once felt unsafe in my 19SRHT.   But it definately is stern heavy no doubt about it.   When the tank is near full at 40 something gallons, loaded with gear(multiple sets of prawn traps with each set having between 400-450 feet of leaded line, crab traps, a few fishing buddies on the boat...... Dual batteries at the back, kicker, weighted prawn traps, weighted crab traps....  That 19 and likely even a 21 will squat lower in the water.... course more so with the 19....... With my 19 fully loaded, the top of the splashwell can sometimes be near or at water level.    Not that big of a deal for me but you do notice a major lag with times getting onto plane when you are fully loaded in a 19 like I am with lots of gear in the back.   It would be absolutely amazing if the hardtop was reinforced enough to support a rack to hold prawn and crab traps.. would clear up a lot of space in the rear of boat and would balance it out more nicely.... Also the topic of moving that darn 43gallon fuel tank forward has been discussed before and I believe that would also make a big improvement in balance, handling and performance of a fully loaded 19Arima.   My solution is to start running 2 props throughout the year.... 1st prop for most of the year and 2nd prop with slightly lower pitch/diameter for the months that I am out prawning and loading up my arima full of gear and excess weight... 

sailajay45

I have narrowed the choices down to the Yamaha F115, Suzuki 115 and Mercury high thrust 1115. Two Sea Ranger 19s near me have repowered with the Mercury 115 high thrust model and love the engine. They say that the added torque of high thrust gear ratio just pops their 19s up on a plane and their speed and gas consumption is still good. My Evinrude dealer has a 2020 115 H.O. that he is offering at $3500 less than the other three brands. Supposedly these 115 H.O.'s actually put out 126 HP at max RPM. Tempting but how many shops will exist that will work on the etechs in the future.

neild

My understanding of the suzuki motors in the mid range size is the 140 is nearly the same as the 115 with a different computer and head components to get some extra rpm and HP out of the motor. The power band and torque is nearly the same except for the extra top end of the 140. The lean burn can be up to 14% fuel efficiency over Suzuki's pre 2011? models. The fuel savings is best at cruise and drops out towards WOT. My 19SR tops out about 38 MPH and even overloaded maintains the same top end speed. Stern lift is great even without a four blade prop.

The only negative I have found is there are not as many good options for propellers. With 2.59 gear ratio you want to stick with the 14" diameter prop and many manufacturers make 13 1/2" or 13" for this hub size.
Allons-y!
1991 19' SR
2017 140 Suzuki

Fishgriller

Quote from: sailajay45 on August 17, 2020, 07:32:19 AM
I have narrowed the choices down to the Yamaha F115, Suzuki 115 and Mercury high thrust 1115. Two Sea Ranger 19s near me have repowered with the Mercury 115 high thrust model and love the engine. They say that the added torque of high thrust gear ratio just pops their 19s up on a plane and their speed and gas consumption is still good. My Evinrude dealer has a 2020 115 H.O. that he is offering at $3500 less than the other three brands. Supposedly these 115 H.O.'s actually put out 126 HP at max RPM. Tempting but how many shops will exist that will work on the etechs in the future.

Don't know if this will help with your decision, you can go to California Air Resource Board website and look up the motors actual power specs.  They have on their website the manufacturers certification letters and list the avatar horsepower in kilowatts.  You can use an online calculator to convert to horsepower.  Some manufacturers also list torque and the rpm at which the max hp and torque are achieved.  For example, when I was looking up my motor, the HO version has a little more hp but actually less torque.

Also, more manufacturers are coming out with drive by wire throttle for outboards in a 90-150hp range.  I think Suzuki just announced theirs.  In my opinion,  this would be a huge benefit and probably push me to get the motor that offers it.  Unfortunately, it was not an option when I was buying.
2018 Sea Chaser 17, 2018 Yamaha F115

Yachter Yat

I've been saying for years:   Torque is something you feel.......HP is something you brag about.  I'd take torque over HP pretty much any day of the week. 

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

davidsea

:yeahthat:
   " Horsepower is a number in the sales brochure - torque is what turns the prop. "   Horsepower is a number which combines torque and RPM, and it usually peaks in the top 10% of max. RPM, a place where most of us don't spend much time.  Torque lives down low, from idle to mid RPM, where it's useful.  Generally speaking, motors with larger displacement and/or longer stroke will have more torque.  Not coincidentally, large displacement, long stroke motors weigh more, because they have larger and stronger parts.  The Honda 115-135-150HP series share the same 2.4 liter long-stroke powerhead, although the 150 has the VTEC variable valve timing.  The max. torque numbers for those 3 are 143, 145, and 149 foot/pounds.  Even though there is a 30% spread in max. horsepower, there is less than 5% difference in max. torque.  All 3 motors weigh 478#, and yes, that's heavy for a 115, but about average for a 2.4 liter 150.  If you want serious grunt down low,  but feel you "need" a 150, consider buying a 115 and a set of '150' decals for the cowling.   m2c
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

mariner

Quote from: sailajay45 on August 17, 2020, 07:32:19 AM

I'll put in my vote for the merc115 CT as this is what I repowerdine 19SR with and have been happy.