News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Opinions/experience Honda 75/90 on 16 explorer/chaser

Started by beancounter, June 11, 2014, 07:47:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beancounter

I picked up a 99 Sea Explorer recently with a Mercury 90 2 stroke. Thinking about selling the motor and I know a 60 or 70 would be ideal weight and powerwise but I have a 2005 Honda 90 with 6 hours on it that would fit nicely. Are any of you guys running something like this? GregE has a 75 and he said it is butt heavy. I would not put a kicker on the boat and would definitely move the battery to the cuddy if I did it. Probably get a permatrim and install tabs as well. What think ye Arimaholics ?

amazing grace

To much engine in my opinion
bc. I would sell the Honda and go with a more ideal power plant.  :twocents:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

J Chaser

I have the Yamaha F70 (253 lbs.), a 6 horse 4 stroke kicker, and two batteries.  With a full tank of fuel (27 us gallons), my boat is a little stern heavy. I wouldn't want another 100 pounds back there.

John
Sea Chaser 1511, Yamaha F70, Yamaha F6 kicker

beancounter

John I wouldn't want another 100 lbs back there either. How does yours do with all the stuff you have back there? Once again I would have one AGM battery in the cuddy no batteries or kicker or downriggers and balls in the back nothing but a full gas tank. Sounds like you have more weight in the stern now than I would is why I ask about your performance.

J Chaser

It handles it very well. Without a kicker and batteries, I think it would handle the larger motor.

My kicker is around 80 pounds.

John
Sea Chaser 1511, Yamaha F70, Yamaha F6 kicker

Chasin Baitman

The 90hp is 350lbs? My f70 is about 250 and I have a kicker+batt on stern. Prolly about 100lbs extra. Bout the same. Rides a lil low with a full tank. Only time it's an issue is when i'm drifting stern to swell, it sloshes up into the splashwell and doesn't drain out quickly because the drain is underwater (thereby making it even heavier). Not great but I don't find myself in that situation very often. It is resolved by moving.

Give it a shot! Isn't there a guy in HI on this board who has a 90 on his SE?
2011 19' Sea Ranger, 2011 Suzuki DF115, 2011 Honda 8 kicker

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

fishorcrab

I have the Yamaha F90 + Suzuki DF6 kicker with two batteries in cuddy.  90 hp is not too much motor for the SC16, but is more than required. IMHO, F70 would be ideal. The lower weight would allow a kicker with alternator, power tilt and still be less weight than the 90. 

If the Honda 90 has EFI, I'd probably install it, but would look at a smaller EFI engine if could get a good trade for a 90 with carbs.

My :twocents:
Paul
SC16 Yamaha 4s 90
SP17 Honda 4s 90  - Croaker made me do it. :)