News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Autopilot for SC 17 with Honda 90 and SeaStar Hydraulic

Started by Holoholo808, April 15, 2018, 11:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holoholo808

Aloha,

Looking to install an autopilot in my 17 SC with a Honda 90 and SeaStar (HC5345).

I'm not too concerned about staying with the same brand as my gps/fishfinder as the AP will be mostly used to hold course while setting lines or fighting fish. Also, the reviews on the Garmin Compact Reactor System aren't too great.

Was thinking of the Raymarine Evolution series since a few guys down here have them. Does anyone have experience with the Evolution 100 on a similar setup? I'm open to the 150 as well if it's worth the upgrade.

Most of the time the boat runs in marginal/choppy water with a mix of ground and wind swell so the system will be working constantly.

Any other information and suggestions are appreciated.

Mahalo,
Jason
For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"

Speedbump

I have the EV-100.  It works great at any cruising speed.  At slow speeds, like when trolling, it works great until about 10-15knots of wind, or a heavy current.  It just can't keep up.  I sure like the system though.  I have a wireless remote control with it, which I would highly recommend.  I hang the lanyard around my neck and put it in my front pocket when working the gear.  It is sure nice not to have to go into the cabin to make course corrections.
'21 HT Sea Ranger, twin 90 ETEC's

Holoholo808

Quote from: Speedbump on April 16, 2018, 09:39:22 AM
I have the EV-100.  It works great at any cruising speed.  At slow speeds, like when trolling, it works great until about 10-15knots of wind, or a heavy current.  It just can't keep up.  I sure like the system though.  I have a wireless remote control with it, which I would highly recommend.  I hang the lanyard around my neck and put it in my front pocket when working the gear.  It is sure nice not to have to go into the cabin to make course corrections.

Thanks for the information. For reference what size/model boat do you have and what steering cylinder (or at least BayStar or SeaStar and engine/hp as I don't expect anyone to know their cylinder/ram volume off hand). Sorry, can't see anyone's signature info using Tapatalk.

Did you do the install yourself? I'm wondering if I should do it now or wait until after the season.

Mahalo,
Jason
For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"

Speedbump

I have a '21 Sea Ranger Hartop, twin 90 etecs, and SeaStar hydraulic steering.  I didn't do the install so can't say how involved that was...sorry
'21 HT Sea Ranger, twin 90 ETEC's