News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Spot Prawns

Started by J Chaser, March 23, 2024, 04:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Chaser

Nice day on the water. And some nice prawns.
Sea Chaser 1511, Yamaha F70, Yamaha F6 kicker

Redhawk

Nice mess of shrimp! How deep were your pots?
Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke

Peddler

Can hardly wait for our chance down here! One of my favorite pursuits.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

croaker stroker

In SoCal, they go down over 1000 feet. From what I have been told, there are only a few licenses issued. There is one fish monger in Newport Beach who usually has a tank full of live Spot Prawns for sale....Pearson's Port floating fish market. 

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Hunter

For up here in the Pac NW.... it's always a derby fishery for Spot Prawns that's literally 1 or 2 days per year and limited to a 4 to 5 hour window.....unless you are a tribal fishery where the rules don't apply.  I keep my boat in covered moorage at the Everett Marina form May through October so I get to avoid the ramp madness during these derby days.

The "derby" style of fishing (same with Halibut) is really a bad idea overall..... in that it forces folks to put themselves in precarious conditions if the weather is bad.... I hate it when I see that the shrimp "derby" day has small craft warnings because it means that there will probably be fatalities.   

The WDFW should simply have an annual allowed limit with a reported catch card....  same for Halibut.     
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

fishmeister

Quote from: Hunter on March 24, 2024, 06:59:24 PMFor up here in the Pac NW.... it's always a derby fishery for Spot Prawns that's literally 1 or 2 days per year and limited to a 4 to 5 hour window.....unless you are a tribal fishery where the rules don't apply.  I keep my boat in covered moorage at the Everett Marina form May through October so I get to avoid the ramp madness during these derby days.

The "derby" style of fishing (same with Halibut) is really a bad idea overall..... in that it forces folks to put themselves in precarious conditions if the weather is bad.... I hate it when I see that the shrimp "derby" day has small craft warnings because it means that there will probably be fatalities.   

The WDFW should simply have an annual allowed limit with a reported catch card....  same for Halibut.     

It looks like the Halibut rules did change this year (I had heard "rumors" that this was happening).  Looks like the "derby" fishing isn't happening for Halibut.  Plus, we're going to be allowed 6 per season instead of 4.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/halibut/puget-sound

The "rumor" that I heard was that WDFW was getting a lot of complaints/concerns of exactly what you stated.  People were making poor/unsafe choices for FOMO.  I agree that this concern applies to shrimp or any other "derby-style" fishery.
1981 Sea Hunter  "iFish" (Oldest Arima on the forum??)
'22 Merc 60hp, '21 Merc 9.9 Kicker
1996 Lund WC12 (A tin can that wants to be an Arima)

Yachter Yat

Ya'll know me....I just can't help myself.  That said, I know some of you might like this.  WARNING:  Be prepared to either "bust a gut" or release a "wet one". :jester:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRkHq3AetEQ

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

GoodDays

Quote from: J Chaser on March 23, 2024, 04:17:06 PMNice day on the water. And some nice prawns.

Union Bay ?

GoodDays Greg