News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Unexpected benefits of a battery move

Started by Threeweight, March 03, 2013, 02:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threeweight

So I had my first full test run of my 17' Chaser with the batteries in the bow, covering maybe 20 miles total on the main motor yesterday.  The expected benefits of less pounding were there, and the stern rode a good bit higher at rest than before.  Discovered a couple of other things as well.

When crossing boat wakes at an angle, the nose seemed to stay planted more and slice into the wakes, rather than getting deflected. 

When on troll, wind and wakes from boats passing didn't seem to push the boat around nearly as much.

On the downside, I appear to have lost a tiny bit of fuel economy (from about 6.25 mpg to about 6.00 mpg, according the engine's computer).  Going to try running it again with a little less pressure on the Smart Tabs, and see if that helps... with less weight on the stern now, they may be dragging more than is needed.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

finfinn

You are probably right - less need to push the bow down with the tabs. Then again, the boat behaviour at speed may revert back closer to what it was before. Overall sounds like it was a good move, but you need adjustable tabs  :wink:.
Had a glorious SR19 Finnesse.
You can not change the length of your life, but boating does increase its width and depth.

Grizzle

This has always been my concern with moving my batteries (I am going to do it anyway).  I've always noticed better cruise performance if my fishing buddy or myself is hanging out in the back when we're underway.  Boat is stern heavy at low speeds and has a bit too much lift at cruise.  Not too worried about fuel economy but my boat handles better with more weight in the back underway.
Brook Stockton - My Boat: Mighty Molly - The Fish Monger - Arima SeaChaser 16 - Soft SkipTower and "The Rack"

SALTBOSS™ MARINE - Offshore Marine Products & Fabrication - http://saltbossmarine.com - brook@saltbossmarine.com - 206-953-SALT (7258)