News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Looking for an Arima....

Started by leesfofc23, July 04, 2012, 03:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StreamFixer

CJ wrote: "I brought some beer over during one of our projects, and I ended up drinking almost all of it."

Is the rumor true that you were the inspiration for the Direct TV add where the fellow comes over owing his friend $500 and 'helped' him move?   :jester:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Wyrguy

Hey Chuck, you never mentioned before that you "...brought some beer over during one of our projects..." Maybe that explains some of the past issues?  :bigshock: :whistle: :wink:
Rick
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

Chuck Jones

Hey...I was trying to be neighborly and appreciative, and brought over some libation...JW doesn't drink...or very rarely does, so I couldn't let it spoil could I??   :shrug9:   I mean c'mon...that's almost sacrilidge...besides, he needed room in his fridge.
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

Threeweight

The Denver boat looks turn key, has electronics, and has the skip tower.  Could be a nice deal as well, but the early Optimax motors also had problems.  From what I have read, it wasn't until 2004-2005 or so that Merc and Evinrude really worked all the bugs out of the direct injected two strokes.  That isn't to say that an older motor might not do great, but just be aware that they don't have the same reputation as the newer models.

Re: the cost of bringing the Oregon City boat up to snuff... elbow grease is free, but electronics, marine wiring, canvas, etc... is not.  If the motor check's out, I would budget another $1500 or so to get her into top shape ($500-750 for a fishfinder/gps, $150 for a VHF radio, $150 for new bilge pump(s) and wiring, $250 to have replacement panels made for the sides of the top, $100 for anchor and rope, etc...

Again, could still be a screaming deal, but go into it with eyes wide open.  Will make for much less marital stress down the road  :biggrin:

I would still suggest thinking about a 17'... you will save a bundle of dough, and are more likely to get a turn-key boat with good motors.  The 19's ride better and have more range, but there is a reason the 17' hulls have been the flagships of the Arima fleet for 30 years.

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

StreamFixer

As noted, the Denver boat looks to be turnkey.  4 days driving (two each way).  By the time kicker, wiring, electronics, radio etc is added to the OC boat, looks to me like a wash in terms of price.  About the motor?  Darned if I know ...  there are lots of folks on here that know WAY more than I do about them.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

leesfofc23

My fishing partners are my 2.5 year old and 1 year old with diaper. :biggrin:  Not too worry about the elbow grease.  Too me the floor spider crack just doesn't look too appealing.  Additional works, buff job (500), a reliable kicker (1000 -1500) in case Mr. Johnson decided to die in the middle of nowhere.  Wife seem to like the room of a 19 so that is a plus.   Will practice in lakes first.

Also, how would I know if the steering is too stiff.  I was able to turn the wheel but required some force.  Worst than driving my dad datsun without power steering.  Does it feel like the car power steering when the engine is running?  Or the boat has to be in water in order to really feel?  Hydraulic steering = car power steering? :redface:  Sorry, for the dumb noob question.

A consignment so I might be able to bargain. 

fishing eagle

It sounds like the boat will need a new steering cable which isn't a big or expensive job. The steering doesn't get easier with the boat in the water.
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

Threeweight

Spider cracks are typically where gel coat (the surface coating on a fiberglass boat) as aged and cracked due to flexing in the underlying fiberglass.  99% of the time it is cosmetic only, and you likely won't find any brand of fiberglass boat more than 5 years old that doesn't have at least a few.  Unless you see the area flexing in a major way when you walk on it, I wouldn't worry too much about it.  It is reparable without too much trouble, but they will likely come back again over time.

Re: steering... running engine makes no difference.  Did the boat have cable or hydraulic steering?  Hydraulic steering will vary based on what pump it is (Baystar vs. Seastar).  My Baystar is stiffer than a typical car's power steering, but still possible to turn with one hand without stressing too much.  Seastar is easier.  Steering cables start out as one-hand turners, but get stiffer and stiffer as they age.  If it is taking two hands to turn, your probably looking at new steering cable within a couple of seasons.  A new cable runs $150 or so... basic hydraulic steering runs $450 or so.

One other thing to consider... what is your tow vehicle?  A 19' fully decked out w/ gear and full fuel tank is going to weigh in at 3500-4000 # or so on the trailer.  I'd want a rig rated to tow at least 5000# for it (remember that the trick is not pulling the load, but stopping it).
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

BigMac

leesfofc23,

Had to chime in when I saw your sentence about the wife.  You probably know the old saying, "if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy".  This also holds true for boats.  

Case in point--I had pretty well decided on a 21' Arima which would have been more than adequate for my needs.  My wife had some objections though and really liked the added space in the 22'.  I've been the proud owner of a 2004 22 SLHT since 2008.  Now we are both happy!

(Dave)

amazing grace

So, I am curious about the motor. Is it a Johnson or Evinrude? The one pix it is a nice looking Johnson. But the add said Evinrude. Did they, or are they switching the motor?
I have a 99' or 2000 Johnson Ocean Pro and it has been a great motor since I have owned the boat, fwiw.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

leesfofc23

I have a F150 XL.  It is a Johnson.  Russ noticed the trailer has no brake unit but adding that piece isn't too expensive, correct?  Having a little more confidence, wife and I are going to check out more arima at King Salmon Marine or a dealer that has many arima. 

StreamFixer

I was not impressed with the steering.  It was not hooked to the motor.  Shawn had to exert some considerable effort to make it move and then it leaked a bunch of oil or some nasty stuff all over my hand.  Definitely a cable system and definitely needing serious attention.  But then again, not terribly expensive to replace.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Chuck Jones

Lees and Big Mac:  Yes, your comments about the issues involving the wife are right on point.  When I bought my boat, I had to seriously consider the wife's input and long term happiness, so I got rid of the wife and kept the boat the way I wanted it.  Of course she got the house, but we're both happy now.   :cha: :cha:
(91) 19' Sea Ranger HT....SOLD 5/2013
(07) 21' Sea Ranger HT.....SOLD 3/2014
(05) 21' Design Concepts ...4/20/14

I often have silent thoughts in my head, but sometimes I worry about what they're thinking

strokersquid

Is there a listing for the Denver boat? Has somebody checked that boat out for you ? You already know a lot about the boat in Portland, how much do you know about the Denver one ( a bird in the hand...). The one in the add sounds like a good deal even with no electrics and questionable motor.