News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

NMEA 2000 Engine hours

Started by gliderflyer, Today at 08:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gliderflyer

I recently bought a used 2020 Yamaha F70LA from a local dealer and manufacturer of our favorite boats. It was advertised as having 333 hours. I now have it installed and connected to my NMEA 2000 network and my Garmin UHD 94sv is reporting 427 hours.

Before I finish, and send my email to the dealer, is there some possible reason for the discrepancy other than the motor hours were not represented to me accurately by the dealer?
1992 Sea Hunter
2020 Yamaha F70
2011 Suzuki DF6

croaker stroker

I wonder what a different dealer would charge to give you a diagnostic read-out of your new engine?
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

gliderflyer

That may be my next step to swing by Bayside Marine and see what they say.
1992 Sea Hunter
2020 Yamaha F70
2011 Suzuki DF6

DARice

Could be that the PO had a separate hours meter that wasn't installed with the motor, or was inaccurate, but was the basis for their hours #. I'd consider taking it back to the dealer and having them pull the numbers...and adjust the price as needed. Almost 30% more hours is meaningful, even at those low hours. That is, unless they are giving you a story that has you doubting their honesty.

Dave
2005 Sea Chaser 17 Pilot House, Lost Sailor
'21 Honda 90, Yamaha T9.9

croaker stroker

The read-out will not only tell you the hours, but should give you overheating, over rev, hours at various RPM, etc.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

Your NMEA hours readout is probably correct. It reads straight from the motors ECM.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

AJFishin

First off your Garmin might have extra hours that hasn't been cleared?

Second when I was looking into N2K systems and engine hours I came across some information with how hours are calculated.
From what I can remember, there's actual engine run time and key on run time. I think it has to do with the EMM / ECM and leaving the key on but the engine not running.

Still worth getting it checked imo.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

gliderflyer

Thanks for all the input. I'll definitely get it to Bayside and have them check it for me. I don't think anyone was trying to pull one over on me, just a possible dropped ball. The run time vs key-on time sounds like a possible culprit, but 100 extra hours of key-on time sounds like a lot, we'll see.

I'll be taking the motor for its first voyage on my Sea Hunter to try and wrangle a ling cod this weekend. So far, it's ran like new in the tub and looks literally brand new under the hood.
1992 Sea Hunter
2020 Yamaha F70
2011 Suzuki DF6

croaker stroker

Be sure to get the printed report for your records. It will be good to have if you ever decide to sell it. 

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸