News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Seattle Boat Show

Started by davidsea, February 09, 2024, 09:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidsea

Fun to meet up with some friends/vendors today at the show.  Special bonus was swapping stories with Don Gross from Arima, in the Defiance booth.  There was one Arima on display - SR 21 Hardtop with new-style bulkhead, no more 3-panel glass.   Center aluminum-framed door, with smaller inset side windows in a sturdy looking one-piece fiberglass bulkhead.  A series of show prices were displayed, most including some optional equipment.    Also shown, from another booth, is what looks like Darth Vader's 700HP tinnie - and yes, those side windows are ONE-PIECE smoked glass.

IMG_1395.JPGIMG_1400.JPGIMG_1398.JPGIMG_1402.JPG
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

GregE

I've talked with Don during many boat show visits.  Nice to see that smile!!

Bulkhead seems solid.
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Yachter Yat

David:  Thanks for the pics. Good to see Donny looking happy; he appears to be doing well. Not many like "him" in that business. BTW, I see only 19 and 21 Arimas in those brochure cuts. No more small Arimas, I guess. The cheapest Arima appears to be that open 19 Chaser at $64,499. Did you happen to notice if that included a motor and trailer?  :shrug9:

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

JDB

This is the first time in years that I haven't gone... Last year I talked with Don about 2 hours; great conversation, tonnes of useful information.
'04 21 SR Skip '24 Merc 150 4S ProXS 04 Honda BF8
'19 Lund Fury 16SS '19 30HP ETEC

Action Front!

Yachter Yat

Hey David:  You said you were "swapping stories" with Donny, at the show?  Hope you don't mind my asking, but did you happen to get any first-hand information regarding the status of the 15 or 16 foot Arimas?  I'd be particularly interested in knowing if what we heard about the Sea Hunter molds being destroyed, is accurate.

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

davidsea

Don is a wealth of knowledge about all things Arima, and boating in general.  He's still enthusiastic about the past and present.  Juichi was one of the people who influenced him most in his career.  Don still designs parts for the boats, and can still bang out very nice drawings.  (I can appreciate, since I spent the first part of my career as an Industrial Designer) 
    Regarding production, the only thing I know is that ALL versions of the 19 and 21 are currently available to order, to include Ranger, Chaser, Yellowtail, hardtops and skips.  Smaller boats and the 22 are not being mentioned, but that's old news by now.
    We talked for an hour+ about all the crazy boating stuff we've been involved in over the years, but I specifically avoided any questions about production plans for Arima.     
        I just don't think it's appropriate to ask a current employee about company operations.   

Yachter Yat

Quote from: davidsea on February 10, 2024, 10:23:09 PMI just don't think it's appropriate to ask a current employee about company operations. 

Sorry David, but I have to take issue with that. I don't believe asking questions about these boats from a guy like Donny Gross is, in any way, inappropriate.  From my experience of dealing with Donny in the past, if you asked him anything about what's going on with the production of these small Arimas, he'd tell it like it is. Hell....in a company as small as Defiance, you should probably be able to get the scoop from whoever happens to answer the damn phone. What's the big secret?  If the factory makes production changes, you'd think they'd simply keep us apprised and post it on "The Arima Owners Site". :shrug9: And BTW, when was the last time we saw anything posted from "the factory" in the "Straight From the Factory" category? 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

davidsea

Quote from: Yachter Yat on February 11, 2024, 08:24:00 AM
Quote from: davidsea on February 10, 2024, 10:23:09 PMI just don't think it's appropriate to ask a current employee about company operations. 

Sorry David, but I have to take issue with that. I don't believe asking questions about these boats from a guy like Donny Gross is, in any way, inappropriate.  From my experience of dealing with Donny in the past, if you asked him anything about what's going on with the production of these small Arimas, he'd tell it like it is. Hell....in a company as small as Defiance, you should probably be able to get the scoop from whoever happens to answer the damn phone. What's the big secret?  If the factory makes production changes, you'd think they'd simply keep us apprised and post it on "The Arima Owners Site". :shrug9: And BTW, when was the last time we saw anything posted from "the factory" in the "Straight From the Factory" category? 

Yat

Yat - If it's important to you, call Arima and ask........360) 813-3600.

777x9

Just for future boat shows.....You can ask Don anything!

headduck

That's a lot of matching. How do you find a whole outfit in dune beige?
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Barnaclebob

Were there problems with the all glass bulkhead?  That wall of fiberglass seems like a huge downgrade unless its solves another issue.
2007 Sea Ranger 19
2021 Yamaha 115
2021 Yamaha 9.9

Yachter Yat

BTW, I "blew-up" the pic showing the brochure cuts that were displayed along the walkway of that show boat.  That $64,499 price for that basic 19 Chaser doesn't appear to include a motor or trailer.  So.....add that motor, a descent trailer, some electronics and a few other goodies, and you're very likely kissing $90K again. :bigshock:  What the hell?  I just have to say folks.....my opinion perhaps, but this makes a boat like Danno's Chaser look like an "absolute effing steal".  :shrug9:

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

headduck

It's amazing. I wonder who buys these boats now... it's probably not guys like us... thank goodness for the used market.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Barnaclebob

Quote from: Yachter Yat on February 13, 2024, 09:21:08 AMBTW, I "blew-up" the pic showing the brochure cuts that were displayed along the walkway of that show boat.  That $64,499 price for that basic 19 Chaser doesn't appear to include a motor or trailer.  So.....add that motor, a descent trailer, some electronics and a few other goodies, and you're very likely kissing $90K again. :bigshock:  What the hell?  I just have to say folks.....my opinion perhaps, but this makes a boat like Danno's Chaser look like an "absolute effing steal".  :shrug9:

Yat

They all include a tandem axle trailer, some have it listed last, some second.  Im 99% sure "Yamaha F115LB" is covered by the bow rail on the first one.  It wouldnt make sense for them to list power on all of the models except the cheapest one.
2007 Sea Ranger 19
2021 Yamaha 115
2021 Yamaha 9.9

Yachter Yat

I don't know. Maybe just me but seems a bit confusing to seemingly list 'included' items with those that are 'optional'.

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

gliderflyer

I'm looking at my pictures of Arima prices from last years boat show. A lot of the individual components are a bit higher, but the total "boat show" prices are the same. One of the guys in my Salmon club mentioned that the price on his Boston Whaler Montauk goes up about 4k every year.
1992 Sea Hunter
2020 Yamaha F70
2011 Suzuki DF6

Barnaclebob

Quote from: Yachter Yat on February 13, 2024, 11:37:54 AMI don't know. Maybe just me but seems a bit confusing to seemingly list 'included' items with those that are 'optional'.

Yat

Yeah, i think the optional items are the ones that have a price after them.  But those would probably be included in that specific build to show how the price is derived.
2007 Sea Ranger 19
2021 Yamaha 115
2021 Yamaha 9.9

Yachter Yat

Yeah, I hear you.  Looks like those items would have to be added to the show price. BTW, I see no mention of canvas anywhere on that particular sheet. Not sure if that's standard these days.  I know it was always an option years ago.

I was just trying to estimate the cost of the hull...... i.e., without the motor and trailer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks as though it may be somewhere in the area of $48 to $50K?? :shrug9:  Do you suppose that would be close; assuming the deletion of a 115 Yamaha and tandem trailer?

Yat 

16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)