News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Lead pour sf bay area!!

Started by Thereefdog, April 03, 2022, 07:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thereefdog

Since the northern guys are getting one together should us southern men rally the troops??

I got a good amount of cannonball supplies..idk Thoughts??

christianbrat

im interested but have nothing but lead to contribute, no pouring equitments
1989 Sea Explorer 16 w/ Custom Pilot House
2007 Honda BF90 & 2002 BF5
Built not Bought

If I could be an appliance I would be a toaster

Norcalfish80

Don't have anything to contribute but happy to bring beer and hang out 😂. Just bought a bunch of 2.5lb balls.
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA

Thereefdog

I got everything the we would need for cannonballs and about 2k of lead(old keel) bit I would need to chainsaw if we need more than 100lbs or so.. I'm thinking first week of May? Thoughts?

christianbrat

Quote from: Thereefdog on April 04, 2022, 08:03:31 AM
I got everything the we would need for cannonballs and about 2k of lead(old keel) bit I would need to chainsaw if we need more than 100lbs or so.. I'm thinking first week of May? Thoughts?
i have a sawzall to contribute too lol...
Built not Bought

FishBio

Quote from: Thereefdog on April 04, 2022, 08:03:31 AM
Seriously, does the chainsaw work? Lead's a PITA to cut!
Anyone have tricks for cutting lead?
1987 17' Sea Ranger,
2020 90hp Suzuki,
2019 Yamaha T9.9 on Defiance fixed bracket.

McVickSR19ST

I offered to the other group but no takers,,,,,

I would be willing to mail my molds up to you guys if you cover the shipping both ways....

I have roughly the following gear:
Canon Balls - 1lb, 2lb, 40oz molds
torpedo sinkers - 6-28oz (no 10 oz mold)
Bullet Jig heads - 1/2oz, 3/4oz, 8oz
egg sinker molds (2) 1/2 oz - 8oz
split shot mold
Bank sinker mold
Pyramid Mold
No roll flat bank sinker mold
Lee Precision Smelting pot and possibly a ladle

I think I can fit all the molds into 2 medium flat rate boxes or with the smelting pot 1 large box and 1 medium box. I could supply some eyelet rings and provide the hook sizes/style for the jig heads.

I'm leaving for a couple of weeks at the end of April till 1st week in May, so let me know if you want to borrow them since they are just collecting dust at the moment!
1990 Sea Ranger Skip Top
2021 Suzuki DF140BG

disposable

Quote from: FishBio on April 04, 2022, 08:31:53 PM
Seriously, does the chainsaw work? Lead's a PITA to cut!
Anyone have tricks for cutting lead?

Yes! Chainsaw is best option if you don't have a giant hydraulic ram (log splitter also works well, but moving the big pieces into position can be limiting):

If you can get a forklift/pallet jack, lift lead as high as possible. Preferably on a sacrificial pallet.

Place a large blue tarp under the lead, and pull it up high on your torso, secured with belt/etc (kinda like a giant bib). This will shield you from led chips/oil when you're cutting. You'll get a LOT of little chips, like 5-10gal/1,000lbs? So plan ahead and make good use of it. Do NOT leave these in your lawn/topsoil.

Get a buddy to stand nearby and prep them with lots of oil to lube the cut. Takes a LOT, but you can use almost anything (old car oil, WD40, bar and chain oil, whatever; I use 1-2 big bottles of whatever's on sale at auto parts place). If you've ever used a bottle/funnel/hose oil system on an Alaska mill, then get creative, but more oil.

Fresh chain is a big help, and it'll stay sharp a LONG time, as long as there isn't steel in the lead. Longer bar is nice to keep the chain cool.ripping chain might help, I'm not sure.

Cut into small pieces, with oil being poured over/into cut area often. Alternate cuts on either side of center to keep weight balanced. !!!keep an eye on the weight balance!!! It's easy to cut too much off one side and have the remaining lead, tip/fall/crush.

If you've never thrown a chain, look it up. You don't wanna be caught off guard by rebar/pipes in your lead, and it's actually really common in boat keels. Go slow and have a spotter, wear a helmet/goggles, and you'll be amazed how many chunks you can make on a single tank of gas.
Reveille
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

Thereefdog

Yep yep yep!!. I see a spot in the keel where it links like some steel goes in..yikes!!

Thereefdog

So as of now it's

christianbrat
Thereefdog
Norcalfish80

Who are in on a pour in sf bay area.
I live 5 mins from Pillar point harbor.  I Have a ok size backyard.  What about you guys?

christianbrat

Quote from: Thereefdog on April 05, 2022, 06:22:16 PM
So as of now it's

christianbrat
Thereefdog
Norcalfish80

Who are in on a pour in sf bay area.
I live 5 mins from Pillar point harbor.  I Have a ok size backyard.  What about you guys?

I'm in Redwood city. not too far. unfortunately cant host
Built not Bought

nomlas

I would be in for a pour!   I have some clean lead in relatively small pieces 3/16 to 1/4 thick I cut with metal sheers. I would be interested in  10lb and 12 lb downrigger weights with the fin- do we have any of these molds in the group?
2001 Sea Ranger 19
2018 Yami 115
No name yet

Fishing all sea creatures in the Bodega area

Thereefdog

Thereefdog

Do we want MCVICKs molds? I got 4oz up to 40oz cannonballs molds. I think I said that already. 

nomlas

Quote from: Thereefdog on April 06, 2022, 10:09:10 AM
I have a 15 lb DR mold.

It would be good to have a 15 lbr on hand, I've always gotten away with 10 pounders but they do drag back a bit.
2001 Sea Ranger 19
2018 Yami 115
No name yet

Norcalfish80

I'm quite a ways north but could come down. Thinking of fishing HMB for salmon if a weather window pops for a weekend day
19HT, Yamaha 115
North Bay Area, CA

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Thereefdog

What about  Sunday may 8th?

Subourbonman

Sun May 8th is mothers day I believe.

Jose
Jose D

2000 16' Arima Sea Explorer Custom Pilot House
80Hp Yamaha
Lorance HDS 7

nomlas

Yep Mothers Day May 8th, might not be a good day to ditch mom
2001 Sea Ranger 19
2018 Yami 115
No name yet

Thereefdog

Roger that... no go! Weekend after?? :bigshock:

christianbrat

I will be out of town camping the following weekend but can drop off materials for people. I picked up another 20lbs of nice clean lead today from a friend

Just gone thurs - sunday
Built not Bought

Thereefdog

When do you get back? I'm in no rush.

Wiley

86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!