News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Official Sunday April 24th lead pour

Started by Crackerbox, March 24, 2022, 10:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydroman

Quote from: GregE on April 14, 2022, 10:17:22 AM
Do we need eyes for the weights?  Cods and DR balls

How about hooks for jigs?  Anything else??    10 days   :party017:
i have some eyes for DR and #2 eyes for weights
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

Mooch

Unfortunately, I was unable to pick up the spare lead from Mark today.  Wind, tide and wave conditions made a solo beach pickup unadvisable.  Bringing what lead I have.  The trip wasn't a total loss though as I did have an awesome Orca drive by and got to play with some otters too.
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

GregE

We should have a scale so each person can record what they brought-  And realize there will be slag so you won't take home 100%

We tend to be optimistic and the last users have been shorted.

G
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Crackerbox

Sounds good Greg,

I don't mind going last, I am in it for the fun and learning.

I have a picnic table, folding table and someone else is going to bring one.  If 3 is not enough, then if someone else can volunteer to bring one that would be great. 

Joe

gliderflyer

I'll be bringing 50-80 pounds of lead which is much more than I need, the rest can get used by anyone. I also have a propane cooker but no pot.

Looking through the posts, FishBio has about 20 downrigger eyes and Hydroman has "some" eyes. Do we need more? If we're going to be short, I can make a run to LFS in Bellingham tomorrow and get more. It would be the only thing I went there for, so if we have enough I'll skip the trip. 

I'd like to make 2 downrigger balls myself and would need eyes.

Randy
1992 Sea Hunter
2020 Yamaha F70
2011 Suzuki DF6

BayWolf

I would like to try to make two 8 pound downrigger pipe weights.  (Long skinny rather than round). Does this sound:
1. Doable
2. Ridicules

Just want to see if they run any better (less blow back) than round. 

If they work well, I may try and make a couple 12lbs at the next pour.

What do I need to bring besides the lead to make these?

"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:
WWW.Youtube.com/@Baywolf_Films

FishBio

Quote from: BayWolf on April 20, 2022, 07:41:17 PM
I would like to try to make two 8 pound downrigger pipe weights.  (Long skinny rather than round). Does this sound:
1. Doable
2. Ridicules

Totally doable.
Bring a bucket of sand. Dirt works fine but it smokes and stinks.
And brings some pieces of pipe. I'll have some wire so we'll be able to hang an eye in once we've poured the lead.
1987 17' Sea Ranger,
2020 90hp Suzuki,
2019 Yamaha T9.9 on Defiance fixed bracket.

BayWolf

Quote from: FishBio on April 20, 2022, 10:18:40 PM
1. Doable
2. Ridicules

Totally doable.
And brings some pieces of pipe. I'll have some wire so we'll be able to hang an eye in once we've poured the lead.

Cool!!
What kind of pipe and any idea what size and length I would need to get 8 lbs of lead?

First Sergeant

FishBio

Quote from: BayWolf on April 20, 2022, 10:43:02 PM
Quote from: FishBio on April 20, 2022, 10:18:40 PM
1. Doable
2. Ridicules

Totally doable.

Cool!!
What kind of pipe and any idea what size and length I would need to get 8 lbs of lead?
Disposable posted a chart here somewhere of lead weight per pipe diameter per length. I'll bet you can search it up.  Stainless would be best but new pipe gets expensive quick. I admire the entrepreneurial attitude but round balls with a fin are hard to beat. If you have some pipe, that's a fine route. If you don't have pipe, but you do have a dr ball mold, that's a fine route, too. Just sayin. We have a couple molds. 
1987 17' Sea Ranger,
2020 90hp Suzuki,

Crackerbox

Looks like it might rain on us and we will be in the open.  I have 2 canopies, someone might want to bring another one.

Joe

disposable

I've done a variety of pipe weights, but I think I threw out all those notes. here's what I remember:

if I'm not mistaken, the best diameter was 1.25 and 1.5, as they have WAY more volume than 1" pipe. you can do the math with lead and density and volume and stuff... but it's probably easier to scavenge some junkyard pipe, band saw a few different lengths, and just do trial and error. I am about 90% sure that I did 12, 15, and 18" lengths, of 1.25 and 1.5, and got a spectrum from 6-20lbs... if it comes out too heavy, you can always trim to length with a sawzall/bandsaw and drop the junk in the smelter to recover the lead.

I used galvanized pipe and once or twice the customer paid extra for tool dip (which I would DEFINITELY do if it was on my boat), but you could use black pipe if you don't mind the rust. many thick layers of enamel paint is cheaper and ALMOST as good as tool dip.

centering the eye helps a lot, and adding a through-wire can keep your eye from pulling out (never happened to me, but I've heard of this in other heavy designs). I formed a little "keeper wire" from coat hanger material, that would *clip/pinch* onto the pipe threads (you may have a spare worker to position the eye at just the right moment, but my workers were not super reliable so I prepositioned the eye).

and whenever you add the eye, you may want to consider pre-threading a heavy ball swivel (like, the 400lb ones!), as the extra $1.50 can really improve your line management (off center eye, under load, with some side current... pipe weights can spin A LOT). if not on the sinker eye, might still be advisable on a short "handling leader" of tuna cord.
Reveille
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

BayWolf

Quote from: disposable on April 21, 2022, 10:48:02 AM
I've done a variety of pipe weights, but I think I threw out all those notes. here's what I remember:

if I'm not mistaken, the best diameter was 1.25 and 1.5, as they have WAY more volume than 1" pipe. you can do the math with lead and density and volume and stuff... but it's probably easier to scavenge some junkyard pipe, band saw a few different lengths, and just do trial and error. I am about 90% sure that I did 12, 15, and 18" lengths, of 1.25 and 1.5, and got a spectrum from 6-20lbs... if it comes out too heavy, you can always trim to length with a sawzall/bandsaw and drop the junk in the smelter to recover the lead.

I used galvanized pipe and once or twice the customer paid extra for tool dip (which I would DEFINITELY do if it was on my boat), but you could use black pipe if you don't mind the rust. many thick layers of enamel paint is cheaper and ALMOST as good as tool dip.

centering the eye helps a lot, and adding a through-wire can keep your eye from pulling out (never happened to me, but I've heard of this in other heavy designs). I formed a little "keeper wire" from coat hanger material, that would *clip/pinch* onto the pipe threads (you may have a spare worker to position the eye at just the right moment, but my workers were not super reliable so I prepositioned the eye).

and whenever you add the eye, you may want to consider pre-threading a heavy ball swivel (like, the 400lb ones!), as the extra $1.50 can really improve your line management (off center eye, under load, with some side current... pipe weights can spin A LOT). if not on the sinker eye, might still be advisable on a short "handling leader" of tuna cord.

Thanks, valuable information for sure.

First Sergeant

gliderflyer

I can bring another canopy and just grabbed another dozen DR eyes to bring.
1992 Sea Hunter
2020 Yamaha F70
2011 Suzuki DF6

Rifleman

Oh Boy,
I have a bunch of eyes for jig molds. Have some zinc plated DR eyes but brass 1 3/8 screw eyes would be better. Any hardware store should have them. Will bring  3 tables, a canopy and Blueberry dump cake with whipping cream. Should have some lead.   Rifleman

FishBio

Quote from: Markshoreline on April 12, 2022, 01:57:22 PM
If anyone is going to the lead pour from the Mukilteo area, I probably have more than 50 lbs to donate to the cause, just let me know.
Did anyone grab that lead Mark? I could arrange transport if Mooch didn't buzz over.
-Grant
1987 17' Sea Ranger,
2020 90hp Suzuki,

FishBio

Quote from: GregE on April 14, 2022, 10:17:22 AM
Do we need eyes for the weights?  Cods and DR balls

How about hooks for jigs?  Anything else??    10 days   :party017:
I have a bunch of #2 eyes and about 30 downrigger ball eyes. I have 50 or so wire forms for 4 oz flutter jigs and another 50 9/0 jig hooks for ultra minnow jigs. Shawn sent along a lot of wire forms for his diamond jig molds. I'd say we're all set for eyes and wire forms but it never hurts to bring more. Bring a little cash to trade for eyes if you don't have any.
1987 17' Sea Ranger,
2020 90hp Suzuki,

Mooch

Quote from: FishBio on April 21, 2022, 10:41:36 PM
Quote from: Markshoreline on April 12, 2022, 01:57:22 PM
If anyone is going to the lead pour from the Mukilteo area, I probably have more than 50 lbs to donate to the cause, just let me know.
Did anyone grab that lead Mark? I could arrange transport if Mooch didn't buzz over.
-Grant

Grant, check PM.
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

disposable

I'm assuming no one is driving through Santa Barbara right? I have a couple things left over from the business that might help... but shipping likely would kill the buzz
Reveille
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

FishBio

I'll be on a 7:50am ferry from Fauntleroy. We have a couple spots open in the truck if anyone wants to carpool and share the ferry fare. Let me know if you're interested and we'll save you a seat!
1987 17' Sea Ranger,
2020 90hp Suzuki,

Mooch

FWIW, I'll have some 1/2 and 3/4 copper pipe for pipe jigs available for swap or purchase, if interested.  I'm trolling for some hooks for those fishy lead head jig molds. 😉

FishBio

Quote from: Mooch on April 23, 2022, 10:46:14 AM
FWIW, I'll have some 1/2 and 3/4 copper pipe for pipe jigs available for swap or purchase, if interested.  I'm trolling for some hooks for those fishy lead head jig molds. 😉
I just counted and I have 100 jig hooks. More than I thought, more than I need. You're welcome to a bunch. They're like 75 cents.
1987 17' Sea Ranger,
2020 90hp Suzuki,

GregE

Lots of gear, propane, Pizza and comradery!!  Jigs and weights and fish stories abound also.

A special thanks to Cracker Box Joe who not only hosted us but provided pizza and drinks. 

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

BayWolf

Had a really good time. It was great meeting all of you and thanks for the lessons, tips and great stories!  I not only learned to pour lead, I also found out about "Dump Cake".  Thanks Russ, it was delicious!  And special thanks to Crackerbox and Mrs. for making us feel so welcome and allowing such a motley crew to hang out and cook lead.

First Sergeant

davidsea

Way to go, guys!  That's what makes this site great.
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Crackerbox

Thank you for coming everyone, it was a great to meet everyone and learn something new.

Joe