News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

I modified a Lee Pro 4 Lead Melting Pot to make it functional w/ fishing molds

Started by wedocq, January 08, 2012, 10:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedocq

The Lee Pro 4 lead melting pot was originally designed for pouring lead bullets. While the 20 lb capacity was enough, the rest was scaled down to pour small bullets. Here is what it originally looked like.

There just isn't enough room to put a downrigger mold under the spout. Also, the pour spout is too narrow to pour a 2lb halibut ball, let alone a 15 downrigger ball. The pour spout is a simple needle stop valve. All I needed to do was remove the needle stop, and drill the spout out to be just under the size of the needle stop. the original spout was less than a 16th of an inch in size, with the needle stop being a 1/4". I drilled the spout out to 3/16", which more than tripled the original size.

I then needed to raise the melting pot up 4", and get rid of the front support beams, as they are in the way when trying to put a downrigger mold underneath. I used 3 metal pieces that were aprox. .25" x 1" x 15". Drilled 4 holes in each and used self tapping sheet metal screws to attach it to the body, and wood screws to attach it to the base.

I removed the original base and used a piece of wood that was larger to increase stability. Without the front stabilizer bars, the unit was prone to falling forward when there was 20lbs of lead in the pot. Also, the larger molds sit a lot better on the larger platform.  The original base is pictured to the left. For those of you that are thinking wood base, really? YUP! My father in law gave me the idea. he said when they melted lead back in the day, they would do 50 lbs at a time. He said they would use a "wooden spoon" to stir the lead because the wood handle wouldn't heat up like a metal spoon would. He told me the wood would burn, but not catch fire. Well, you can see the burns on the wood, but no fires!

Finished product!

7-15 lb downrigger balls, 20 2, 2.5 and 3lb halibut weights. I am figuring about $250 retail here. Who is ready to pour?
Special thanks to Tubbs, who survived a lead explosion while helping me experiment!
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

BigMac

croaker stroker

Good job on the modification! Now you are ready for the grand finale lead pour.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Seattleflyfisher

Hydro-Therapy

Shawn it looks like you are getting things dialed in. That 15lber is a bunch of lead to pour at once and not an easy task. I have a 7 1/2lb and found that pre-heating the mold will help eliminate the cold flow lines on them. I put it on a coleman stove to getter HOT. :twocents:

Hydro-Therapy
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

fishing eagle

Wedocq.... $250 retail.... you are selling yourself short there. The last I knew, lead was selling for $3.00 per pound wholesale according to my friend that operates a major tackle shop.
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

tubbs

Thats fun stuff.  Cant wait to get some lead and try it again. 

When that lead exploded I moved faster than I have in a long time.  Still kinda amazed that I had lead from the waist to shoulders but not a drop hit me in the face or hair.  Ohh and not a drop of it hit Shawn.  How does that work we were standing right next to each other when it blew.
86 17 Arima SR
Suzuki DF90A

CanvasGuy

Gary Smart
boatless  now
http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

wedocq

Quote from: CanvasGuy on January 09, 2012, 03:20:57 PM
Tubbs... Don't you know by now that Shawn is Blessed?.... :yeahthat:
I am the Tim Tebow of the fishing world!  :biggrin:

Hydrotherapy: Yes a warm mold does do better. As my system got better and I was using the DR mold more quickly, it stayed warmer and poured a nicer looking ball.

Darren (SFF) the smaller balls are 2, 2.5 and 3 lber's that I use with a spreader bar for halibut fishing.

-Shawn

wedocq

It's really hard to organize several people at once, so I am just going to announce when I am going to be pouring lead, and if you want to show up , GREAT! I anticipate a few lead pours over the next few months, BUT, I do know for a fact I am pouring this weekend. So if you want to come down (or up for you PDX rats) message me, or text me.
-Shawn

Steve66_1

HI,
why I cant see all the pics in this post? Only see the first one....

wedocq

They are old links. Basically I removed the base, and added 2 legs that were taller so I could fit a mold under the spout. I also drilled out the spout so that I could pour a 15 lb DR ball! I still use it regularly.
-Shawn

Redwood

I too would love to see the photos of your modified Lee pot.

In particular I'm interested in more detail about how you modified the needle stop to accommodate faster pouring.   

I just got my new Lee 4-20 pot was fill it up and almost immediately discovered it's just not fast enough for the large jigs and 2 and 3 pound cannonballs that are the main things I want to pour - and I'd like to do some outrigger balls as well.  But I haven't emptied it all the way yet to get a better look at the needle stop assembly.  I figured there's got to be a way to modify it and Google took me straight to your thread.

DevMah

Quote from: wedocq on January 08, 2012, 10:43:17 PM
The Lee Pro 4 lead melting pot was originally designed for pouring lead bullets. While the 20 lb capacity was enough, the rest was scaled down to pour small bullets. Here is what it originally looked like.

There just isn't enough room to put a downrigger mold under the spout. Also, the pour spout is too narrow to pour a 2lb halibut ball, let alone a 15 downrigger ball. The pour spout is a simple needle stop valve. All I needed to do was remove the needle stop, and drill the spout out to be just under the size of the needle stop. the original spout was less than a 16th of an inch in size, with the needle stop being a 1/4". I drilled the spout out to 3/16", which more than tripled the original size.

I then needed to raise the melting pot up 4", and get rid of the front support beams, as they are in the way when trying to put a downrigger mold underneath. I used 3 metal pieces that were aprox. .25" x 1" x 15". Drilled 4 holes in each and used self tapping sheet metal screws to attach it to the body, and wood screws to attach it to the base.

I removed the original base and used a piece of wood that was larger to increase stability. Without the front stabilizer bars, the unit was prone to falling forward when there was 20lbs of lead in the pot. Also, the larger molds sit a lot better on the larger platform.  The original base is pictured to the left. For those of you that are thinking wood base, really? YUP! My father in law gave me the idea. he said when they melted lead back in the day, they would do 50 lbs at a time. He said they would use a "wooden spoon" to stir the lead because the wood handle wouldn't heat up like a metal spoon would. He told me the wood would burn, but not catch fire. Well, you can see the burns on the wood, but no fires!

Finished product!

7-15 lb downrigger balls, 20 2, 2.5 and 3lb halibut weights. I am figuring about $250 retail here. Who is ready to pour?
Special thanks to Tubbs, who survived a lead explosion while helping me experiment!

Only one pic shows on the post.

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold