News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Medium sized project keeps getting bigger

Started by sikoruk, May 10, 2019, 10:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sikoruk

Well my goal was to replace my electronics, fix the wiring at the back of the boat, and install trim tabs. As I dig into things it keeps getting a little scarier and I'm amazed the boat has worked so well for me up until now.

Took off the old transducer and speed wheel and water immediately started dripping out of the holes (that appeared to have been "sealed" with regular silicone caulk. Several days later it is still dripping out.  Drilled the 16 holes for the trim tabs and have a little more water coming out some of the holes (including the side that didn't have the transducer but is under the splashwell drain, now next project is to replace that and maybe the drain plug fitting). Wood didn't feel great as I drilled the holes and was sawdusty and fell apart in the drill bit. I've read here that the transom on an Arima has never been shown to fail and that the wood is supported by so much fiberglass that I shouldn't worry, but somebody tell me again that I shouldn't worry! I'm currently letting it dry out (and am actually glad for the high 80's temperature in May) and then will fill the transducer holes with marinetex and then install the trim tabs with a whole lot of 5200 in the holes and bedding the tab.

As I pulled apart the electrical system I found out that the only wire going forward to the helm was 14 gauge (no wonder I had so much trouble with my previous electronics failing, along with them being wired to the start battery.) I had previously put a Blueseas ST Blade fuse block behind the helm so things up there are ok. But now that I know more I will probably clean that up too. Oh and the bilge pump wires ended up falling apart in my hands, they were connected with automotive butt connectors and covered by electrical tape.

I've given up on shrimping the first two days in Hood Canal but I've got a reservation in Sekiu on the 22nd so no time to waist!

Thanks again to all of you for such a wonderful forum with an abundance of stored knowledge, people willing to help, and even a representative or two from the factory/company. This place is amazing and is such an added bonus to owning an Arima!

-Justin
1992 SR19HT - 115 Honda 9.9 Honda

croaker stroker

I have not heard of any complaints concerning transom structural problems from leaks or dry-rot.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Svinny88

Best thing to do right now is let it dry out  , however long that takes , before you mount and re seal everything's ng
1998 15'11" sea explorer. 2020 Honda bf100
"T roLL on 1"

croaker stroker

Ancient wood sailing ships used to throw rock salt in the bilges to prevent rot. Apparently, dry-rot doesn't happen in saltwater.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

BK1983

You can get the water out by rolling up some paper towels and use them as a wick. Then when they stop dripping take them out to continue drying.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. T.S. Eliot
1999 Sea Ranger 19 HT,  2019 BF 115

StreamFixer

Co :bigshock:tton String/thread makes a good wick too...  That being said, if you plan to wait for everything to dry out and quit dripping, before sealing it all up, we'll see you on the water next year..  You need to have started last Thanksgiving...

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu