News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Helicopter and Elk

Started by Yachter Yat, February 14, 2018, 02:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yachter Yat

Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

GregE

Yep.
there was another helo crash that killed two while doing aerial surveys this winter. 

Not many places to land safely in a lot of the steep canyons.

2 engines are important for logging.  Only lost an engine once in 3 years but we dropped the 150 ' cable and logs and flew back to the maintenance pad with the good engine.

Feb 1988 near Mt St Helens
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Tom Mac

Greg, what types of helicopters did you fly? 20 years ago I quit rigging and cutting as a salvage logger on the west coast of Vancouver Island, we used light and med. lift machines to get our wood to the landings. Had lots of friends that worked under the Ericson Air Cranes, now that's a cool machine! if I remember correctly it could lift close to 20,000 lbs.
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

GregE

In the Army I flew mainly UH-1 Hueys and OH-58 Kiowas ( Jet Rangers ) along with a lot of smaller birds for training.  IN 20 years I had about 8000 hours flight time.

The Columbia Helo in the picture is the BV 107 civilian model of the CH 46 Sea Knight the US Navy and Marines used until lately.  twin GEs  Rated for 11000 # on the hook.  I ended up as the4 small bird pilot and instructor in a 1950's designed Hiller 12 E with a turbine engine conversion.  I ferried the cutters and choker setters into the woods,  flew the boss and Forest Service for surveys and some long line work taking chokers, long bar saws when they had to rip a log to get it light enough for the tandem rotor 107.  We were salvaging bug killed Sugar Pines near the Sequoia National Forest and used an 8' bar to rip the but sections into 4 pieces.  Handing the saw Handle first to the cutter standing on the log was fun with a 100' line. 

I could also hire myself to take family and friends on flights @ $ 60 and hour   :biggrin:
Greg
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Yachter Yat

Impressive career Greg.

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

finfinn

Yep. Pretty impressive life, Greg. Almost like a kid in a candy store with the amazing machines. Well, maybe the early service time was not so much fun. Appreciate your contribution to our collective safety. By the way - who is the fellow by the helicopter? Could not be you, I mean the color of the hair and such.....  :wink:
Had a glorious SR19 Finnesse.
You can not change the length of your life, but boating does increase its width and depth.

GregE

Did a lot of interesting things in some beautiful places.  Two years in Viet Nam,  tours in Germany and Korea.  Small deck landings were always challenging-  if the boat was floating the rotor wash would move it away.  If on the bank the deck was sloped

By the way - who is the fellow by the helicopter? Could not be you, I mean the color of the hair and such.....  :wink:

Yeah, the synthetic fur on the jacket must have gotten on my head .....
At least we're in this together.......  Thanks to you and Kim for stoking my TUNA addiction
Greg

Mooch

Greg, ever considered a helipad for the Osprey?

Seems like a great way to resupply live bait.  Be a good spotter too.  😉
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"