News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Outrigger info

Started by Rcr, March 23, 2024, 08:51:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rcr

Good morning friends – interested for info on outriggers. Preferred angles, mounting ideas, ECT. I have a 21 foot SR and will probably mount them on the Skip top. Will probably just go with one of the taco kits, and they will be used for a single line set up for albacore. I appreciate the info! :flag:
2004 arima sr skip tower
Honda 130 and 9.9
🇺🇸

Kimbrey

My boat has a rail on top of the house so I just use a clamp on rod holder and use a pair of Okuma surf rods (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076QHBYYH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1)
I have them mounted slightly above horizontal when using them.  They kind of bungee back toward the holder so no fear of them flying out.  I store them in a vertical rod holder when running.
I did buy a rigging kits for a single line.  Wasn't Taco, cheaper than Taco but I can't find where I bought the kit.
I've been using the Aftco release clips (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PR6QWQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but can't seem to get them to release well or the release isn't consistent.
I'm trying Rupp Knockout clips this year....https://www.amazon.com/Rupp-Nok-Out-Outrigger-Release-Clip/dp/B001449DXQ?pd_rd_w=Z29Jh&content-id=amzn1.sym.5a5ce87a-6e3e-461e-8699-23c0adbf7599&pf_rd_p=5a5ce87a-6e3e-461e-8699-23c0adbf7599&pf_rd_r=XVTMTP6RQB4J1HZJEHKG&pd_rd_wg=DMxIF&pd_rd_r=7c1f5c5e-efbd-4731-b9e9-130c3fa71e94&pd_rd_i=B001449DXQ&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_grid_rp_0_1_ec_pd_rhf_ee_s_rp_c_d_sccl_1_2_i
I've heard good results with them.  I'd probably have a bit better success with the releases if I put a stay about midpoint on the surf rod as there might be a bit too much flex but since my boat is a true walk-around I don't want a stay blocking things toward the bow.

Greg after going out with me on a trip last summer was trying to copy my setup somewhat.  He may have tossed a picture or two on here of what he was doing on a different post.  Not sure how to search for it.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

FishAddict

I'm using a set of the Okuma Surf Rods too.  I had ProLite rods rebuild the bottoms and add gimbles to fit snug in the clamp on stainless holders so they don't spin.  I used them on the 26 Osprey this past summer and they worked really well.
21ft Sea Ranger w/Yamaha F150

Rcr

Ha, I had thought about something like that, but figured it might be nice to have something more permanent. I'm not sure why since I only albacore fish a few times a year. When using the oquma rods, are you bringing them in manually and clipping the line at the end or have you run line through them and using them like traditional outriggers?
2004 arima sr skip tower
Honda 130 and 9.9
🇺🇸

disposable

I once bought some used 12' aluminum outriggers for like $100... or maybe less?... then sat on them for years until Stanley made me some custom gunwale mounts for the boat (inspired by a Hawaiian company that makes mounts and pivoting rod holders, which I also learned of on this forum), but I think all-in the package was a few hundred bucks (I had to buy new rigging for the ORs which was surprisingly not cheap). Keep in mind that surf rods will bend when the lures are in the water and your spread will be narrowed a bit, but obviously still better than nothing. My boats currently listed for sale and everything goes, but if it doesn't sell maybe we can circle back to this...?

One benefit of outriggers not mentioned yet is the stability you get on anchor by hanging a couple of "birds" into the water, which greatly diminishes roll. This was my primary motivator, the trolling spread was secondary.
Reveille
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

Kimbrey

Quote from: Rcr on March 26, 2024, 06:37:33 AMHa, I had thought about something like that, but figured it might be nice to have something more permanent. I'm not sure why since I only albacore fish a few times a year. When using the oquma rods, are you bringing them in manually and clipping the line at the end or have you run line through them and using them like traditional outriggers?
I run them like traditional outriggers.  IE the line is a continuous loop through a pulley.   
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

Yachter Yat

For people who would only use outriggers occasionally, I think Kimbrey might indeed have provided you with the simplest and (arguably) the most economical option.  I like it!

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Rcr

Thanks guys- I appreciate the info!
2004 arima sr skip tower
Honda 130 and 9.9
🇺🇸

GregE

I fished with Kimbrey last September and promptly got the Okuma 15'  three piece surf rods and mounted some rod holders on the skip top supports.  Continuous loop to run the release out ( think laundry pulley for those old enough ) and it is ready -July is coming...........

2 OUtrigger.jpg2 Outrigger 2.jpg2 OUtrigger 1.jpg

23 outrigger harness.jpg
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

christianbrat

1989 Sea Explorer 16 w/ Custom Pilot House
2007 Honda BF90 & 2002 BF5
Built not Bought

If I could be an appliance I would be a toaster

Kimbrey

Quote from: christianbrat on March 26, 2024, 06:50:39 PMive always wondered if you could use an Aluminum or Fiberglass painter extension pole... https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wooster-Sherlock-GT-Convertible-8-ft-to-16-ft-Adjustable-Extension-Pole-00R0960000/203150946#overlay
[/quote
Quote from: christianbrat on March 26, 2024, 06:50:39 PMive always wondered if you could use an Aluminum or Fiberglass painter extension pole... https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wooster-Sherlock-GT-Convertible-8-ft-to-16-ft-Adjustable-Extension-Pole-00R0960000/203150946#overlay
I have a couple of friends that do that but they aren't using the continuous loop.  Both were mounted on a Scotty swivel base so you could get to the clip. I found their method unwieldily and in the way when fighting fish or trying to get a stop going IE the setup was mounted on the down-rigger bases. 

christianbrat

yeah id deffo use a continuous loop if doing this!
Built not Bought

GregE

Greg
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

headduck

Adding eyes wouldnt be a terrible expense of effort.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

christianbrat

i feel like you would only need 2 eyes. one at the base and one at the tip.  a couple of eye bolts should work just fine
Built not Bought

KEM KAI

I only blue water troll so have 20 ft.(2 in. OD) fiberglass outriggers.  I use the side mount outrigger holders cause all the rest including wishbone hit the railing.  Had to have my friend change the tube to 2 inch to fit the riggers. I like them cause they swing forward when launching picking up.

GregE

Picture Kem Kai?   :shrug9:   

HOpe to get back to the islands- we often stay at Bellows Rec on Oahu but it takes a year in advance to reserve.
Greg

KEM KAI

Hope you can enjoy the best weather in the US here soon.  We've been having crazy weather recently, lots of rain and wind, but still hard to beat. Bellows is nice, if ex military the bungalows were good. Went to Seattle (Kent) to pick up my Arima last August.  Got lucky didn't rain the whole time.

Tunacious

About 15 years ago I put the first set of photographs of the outriggers on my Arima 21 HT.

The bases would turn in and lock or turn out and lock when tuna fishing.

The actual outriggers were made out of fiberglass poles from a wind surfing board.

I paid $100 for each pole.

I tied the eyes onto the outrigger by wrapping line around the pole.

They worked very well for what I had at the time for tuna fish but didn't work for commercial salmon fishing.

I grew tired of storing the poles when I wanted to trailer and travel.  I also wanted to commercial fish salmon.

After about 5 years of using the first set up I changed to a more permanent style of outriggers that I could lift up or let down to fish.

The second set up was more like a commercial style fishing boat.  It is much better.

I designed the outriggers so the bases on the boat had a pivot so I could simply say my outriggers down in the boat while still counted to the base.

The pivot was important to me because I was commercial fishing and in about two minutes I could have my boat ready to trailer and travel without completely removing my outriggers.

Below is some pictures of my first set up and then some more pictures of my second set up that I still use to this day.

I didn't like the angle of my first set up at all.  They did catch tuna though.

With the set up I have now I run 7 hand lines for tuna.  No poles.  My boat never stops.

Put my boat on auto pilot and stand in the back of the fish and pull the fish in with the hand lines.

It can be very effective when they are biting the troll.

I hope someone likes looking at my pictures at least.

Below is what I use now.  It takes me about 15 minutes to completely remove the outriggers.
I use them for salmon fishing and for tuna fishing.  They work much better than my first set up.

GregE

We have seen this set up and took some pictures a couple years ago.  very impressive.
G
Greg

jamaica

I always like looking at your pictures Walt. Stainless steel guru.
1994 19' Sea Ranger 150hp Merc 2stk 9.9hp Yam

Tunacious

Quote from: jamaica on April 21, 2024, 09:40:12 AMI always like looking at your pictures Walt. Stainless steel guru.

Haha

I do love stainless steel

Right now I'm in the process of building a stainless steel three burner camp stove.
It will have two burners with the third burner used for an oven.