News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Propeller size suggestion for Arima 21 Hard top with Tohatsu 150

Started by Camano Joe, August 09, 2020, 10:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camano Joe

I've got a 21 hard top with a 2017 Tohatsu 150.  I get 5700 RPM trimmed up running a 3 blade 14.25x17 stainless prop.  Max speed is 30 MPH.  It seems a little slow.  I was thinking a 3 blade 15x17 or a 4 blade 14x19.  Any suggestions out there?

Markshoreline

Maybe a 14x15?
In my 21 HT with Yami 150 I run a 15 pitch 4 blade prop but only get up to 5200 rpm.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

davidsea

Both you guys are overpitched - you should be able to turn at least 6000RPM at WOT with a normal load in the boat.  Don't know about the Yammi, but the Tohatsu is rev-limited by the computer around 6300, so there's no chance of over-reving and hurting the motor. Some folks think that overpropping saves money, since you can cruise at a given speed  with less RPM.  The fact is that running at a given speed takes a certain amount of horsepower - regardless of propeller RPM - and horsepower is directly related to fuel consumption. Running at 25 MPH is going to burn about the same amount of fuel, no matter how fast the engine is turning to reach that speed.
   The real downsides to overpropping are poor acceleration, difficulty staying on plane at lower speeds, and stressing the motor.
Having experimented with 4 props on my 19 Hardtop, I settled on a 4-blade 14.25 X 17, and a 3-blade 14.5 X 17 as a spare. Both are cheap aluminum props, nothing fancy.  I used to always run SS props, but on sub-40 MPH Arimas, I'm not sure they're worth the money.  Plus, I'd much rather shred a $115 aluminum prop than bust a lower unit with a much  stronger $400 stainless prop.
   Granted, my 19 is pretty lightly loaded, but on smooth water and trimmed way out, I can make 38MPH @ 6000 with the 4-blade, and just touch 40 @ 6100 with the 3-blade.  If I were running heavier, I'd want to drop an inch or two on each one.  m2c
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Fisherdv

Quote from: davidsea on August 10, 2020, 05:53:53 PM
   Both you guys are overpitched - you should be able to turn at least 6000RPM at WOT with a normal load in the boat.  Don't know about the Yammi, but the Tohatsu is rev-limited by the computer around 6300, so there's no chance of over-reving and hurting the motor. Some folks think that overpropping saves money, since you can cruise at a given speed  with less RPM.  The fact is that running at a given speed takes a certain amount of horsepower - regardless of propeller RPM - and horsepower is directly related to fuel consumption. Running at 25 MPH is going to burn about the same amount of fuel, no matter how fast the engine is turning to reach that speed.
   The real downsides to overpropping are poor acceleration, difficulty staying on plane at lower speeds, and stressing the motor.
Having experimented with 4 props on my 19 Hardtop, I settled on a 4-blade 14.25 X 17, and a 3-blade 14.5 X 17 as a spare. Both are cheap aluminum props, nothing fancy.  I used to always run SS props, but on sub-40 MPH Arimas, I'm not sure they're worth the money.  Plus, I'd much rather shred a $115 aluminum prop than bust a lower unit with a much  stronger $400 stainless prop.
   Granted, my 19 is pretty lightly loaded, but on smooth water and trimmed way out, I can make 38MPH @ 6000 with the 4-blade, and just touch 40 @ 6100 with the 3-blade.  If I were running heavier, I'd want to drop an inch or two on each one.  m2c
^^^spot on.

Running over propped makes the engine temperature run hotter as well.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

davidsea

Forgot to mention,  above numbers are with a BF115 Honda, not a 150.  Same displacement and 95% of the torque of a 150, ,gives up 4-5 MPH on top end, and nothing else........ except $4000 - $5000 in purchase price.
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)