News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Seeking to buy 19’ Sea Ranger Hard top

Started by Don Hynes, April 26, 2024, 06:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Hynes

I'm looking for a 19' Sea Ranger hard top with low motor hours. Not looking for a new boat as my budget is $20-30K.

davidsea

Quote from: Don Hynes on April 26, 2024, 06:08:01 PMI'm looking for a 19' Sea Ranger hard top with low motor hours. Not looking for a new boat as my budget is $20-30K.

Unless you find a really uninformed seller, a low-hour SR19 Hardtop for under $30K is going to need some money added to be a safe, reliable boat.  Finding one after the weather turns nice will make it even harder.  It would be helpful to know where you are and how far you're willing to travel to bring home a boat.    ( New ones are $70K and up.)
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Don Hynes

You may be right but I'll keep looking. I'm in the San Juans and willing to travel, when I can, through the Puget Sound area.

amazing grace

I would agree with Davidsea. Finding a later model with a lower hour (under 500) in your budget will be tough. Maybe a soft top or possible skiptower. Maybe at the very top of your budget with patience you may find what you are looking for. Just be ready to pounce.

Fwiw, all of us that have what you are looking for have more into ours than your budget :food: .
Good luck.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

headduck

Scrub the hard top and grab the nearly new 19 softop that's listed for 27... it's a ridiculous deal... have off the hook make you a top after that... come out way ahead with much more boat for the $$... my 3 cents.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Jamesonm

Quote from: headduck on April 29, 2024, 06:20:19 AMScrub the hard top and grab the nearly new 19 softop that's listed for 27... it's a ridiculous deal... have off the hook make you a top after that... come out way ahead with much more boat for the $$... my 3 cents.

Is the hull missing added reinforcement is it did not come out of the factory with a hard or skip top? I've read that it's not advisable to add extra weight as it's missing some production extras.

Cheers
J

Don Hynes

Don Hynes

I looked for the 19 soft top for 27K but couldn't locate on the forum. Someone provide a link?

longfield1

Quote from: Jamesonm on April 29, 2024, 08:19:54 AM
Quote from: headduck on April 29, 2024, 06:20:19 AMScrub the hard top and grab the nearly new 19 softop that's listed for 27... it's a ridiculous deal... have off the hook make you a top after that... come out way ahead with much more boat for the $$... my 3 cents.

Is the hull missing added reinforcement is it did not come out of the factory with a hard or skip top? I've read that it's not advisable to add extra weight as it's missing some production extras.

Cheers
J

The hardtop is extra weight that came from the factory. I built myself a pilot house that weighs the same as my skip top. It just moves the center of gravity of the boat forward which is hugely beneficial. The hull is the same for hardtops/skip tops/soft tops so its not  like a soft top Arima couldn't handle the weight of adding a Hard top.
1993 Arima Sea Ranger custom pilot house, Suzuki DF140, Garmin Reactor 40 kicker autopilot

disposable

arimas are known to pound in some conditions and most of the factory boats really want trim tabs if you'll ever encounter short-period swell. I'm not aware of any factory changes to the lower forms when they add the house or hardtop. as far as I can tell, the hull/deck/interior forms are the exact same on all their "top options". and like longfield says, I found that adding some weight in the front improved the ride tremendously for me. some folks believe that arima perfected the design  and they are best when they leave the factory, but some of us have found that a house (aka extra weight out front) improves the ride (in my case, a belly tank, too).
Reveille
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp

headduck

No extra structure. A bolt on in both cases. I have the skip and use the additional weight of the freshwater tank also.

The soft top is on craigslist.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Jamesonm

Quote from: longfield1 on April 29, 2024, 02:03:12 PM
Quote from: Jamesonm on April 29, 2024, 08:19:54 AM

Cheers
J

The hardtop is extra weight that came from the factory. I built myself a pilot house that weighs the same as my skip top. It just moves the center of gravity of the boat forward which is hugely beneficial. The hull is the same for hardtops/skip tops/soft tops so its not  like a soft top Arima couldn't handle the weight of adding a Hard top.

I'll try and find the info I dig up during my some of my earlier research that referenced the added reinforcement of some kind. Maybe Im mixing it up with something else... I can't remember if it was related to the factory only making a particular skip top on one of the models for a couple years prior to being discontinued. The supports, because of the pounding effect was affecting the integrity of how it was being supported and failures.

disposable

i've dug around the site pretty well but i'm sure some of the really old old-timers will correct me...

but as far as i know, the only common/frequent failures of the factory HT are the window frames, which loosen over time and will result in a wobbly HT roof (and in some extreme cases, window problems).

structurally speaking, arimas have a pretty good reputation, with minimal structural failures at all, for any factory configuration. all the starboard/wood paneling and various doors/lids can rattle like crazy, and those little screws come loose easily; microcracks are sometimes found in the gel coat at the deck corners; and some seat base deck screws have pulled/rotted out... there have been a few "fluke" problems with stringer separation, hull compression from trailer rollers, and least one hull failure from compression by the "toilet well" in the cuddy... but i consider these unique and incidental outliers, not really a configuration flaw.

as far as i can tell, aftermarket tops are not that common (pretty sure they're more rare than factory tops), but bolted or bonded, wood or glass or aluminum, i haven't heard of any structural issues that were clearly tied to their installation.
Reveille
2012 Sea Chaser 17 (custom PH)
2013 Honda 90hp