News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Looking for a 19' SC

Started by FryFish, January 01, 2017, 07:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La-Z-Buoy

Really hard to price without looking at it. There are so many variables. I know that the 91 hardtop that I bought was in excellent shape. I've seen newer boats in much worse shape. What's the canvas look like? Has it been taken care of, garaged, trailer condition, etc, etc, etc. Balance that with how bad do you want it? You don't have an easy choice in front of you.

The motor is obviously an issue. Even if running well it is still what it is and a 4 stroke will factor in sooner or later.

I think at 15K with that motor everything else should be in pretty good shape......   Just my  :twocents: . Good luck, and let us know. Is there a Craigslist ad on it?
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Chief of the Boat

Skip towers don't fold down.  IMO a 91 19 Sea Ranger with original two stroke power should be like brand new for 15K.   :twocents:

La-Z-Buoy

I found it. Nice looking boat. Newer canvas, newer four stroke kicker. Garaged. If you're okay with that main for a while it "looks" worth a look. I had a 120 Johnson main on the 17 I had several years ago. Very strong and reliable but still went to a 4 stroke. Wife didn't like the smoke and I didn't like the milage. And dicker, always dicker........   :biggrin:    .
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT

Markshoreline

You are going to buy another motor for the boat, what is that going to add to your purchase price?  Hint- a new 115 will be about 12k.  Just sayin'.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

FryFish

I went to look at the 19' Ranger. It was the first Arima that I've looked at, aside from a 15' that I've fished off of one time.

I was shocked at how big it seemed. Condition was OK, but far from perfect. General dirtiness to all compartments and cabin, some rust on railings, trailer, outboard bracketing. Deepish scrape on curved underside of bow. Gauges didn't work. Wash down didn't work. No oil reservoir.

The negatives aside, the boat seemed solid and functional. Would be a good fishing platform with a 4 stroke.

After seeing the 19' in person. I'm thinking that a 17' might be all that I need. I almost always fish 2 POB, troll a lot in tight quarters, my parking area is tight, and I like the idea of a lighter load on the truck.

So I'm refocusing my search on a 17'SC with 90hp 4 stroke. The main downside to that is lack of fuel capacity. Is it unrealistic to think that I could pack gas and cruise out to the tuna grounds at 12-15 kts without being pounded? Obviously, only on flat days.

Second question: Looking at the boat below. It is 1' short, and underpowered? But, is the 32 gal fuel tank a typo? Or must have those saddle tank things? If this was a 17 with 20-30 more hp, it might be the one for me.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/5959404671.html

1998 17' SC -- Sold
2021 17' SC - Suzuki 90hp - Yamaha F8

La-Z-Buoy

It's either a typo or he's modified the original configuration. 27 gal is the current setup. It's a 93 so it could be less. I know the 17's went from 23 to 27 but not sure the time frame.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT

Yachter Yat

I have that boat.........with that motor. Difference is mine is a 94, all white with stainless cleats and Lee's rod holders.  Oh yeah......it's show perfect.  Tank is 27 gals................about enough fuel to take me half way to England.  (ha)  BTW, IMHO, that 16 is probably one of Arimas best.  I tell everybody:  If I can't do it in this boat; I can't do it.  (haha)

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Markshoreline

No saddle tanks on that boat, there's no fuel fillers on the gunwale along side the cabin. 
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Omega3

I would stick with a 19' boat in either SR or SC.The 2 foot difference from a 17 is huge.I have a 19'SR and a buddy has a 17' SC.When we fish on my 19 he wishes he would have bought the 19SR.When we fish on the 17SC I never wish I had it.The 19SR is twice the boat of the 17SC.More fuel,more storage,fresh water tank,cuddy for overnighting and private space to take care of business whether its with your lady friend or wiping away breakfast its nice to have a little privacy.Like what has been said here before new motors are spendy.10 or 12 grand is basically your whole budget.For what you said you wanted,19 foot Arima,2000 or newer and 4stroke power,you are going to find that is not easy to find.Good luck!
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

Chief of the Boat

I spent a few days running a 16 Chaser with a Honda 50 and was impressed with the performance (WOT 30 mph with two on board).  I have ran the Honda 60 on other boats and it performs very well, IMO great choice for a 16 Chaser. When you start talking tuna fishing you need to hold out for a 19 SR/SC for the space and fuel capacity. :twocents:

FryFish

Thanks for the input, all.

Sounds like that 16'SC could be a nice boat for somebody. I just can't see going that small.

I guess I either need to settle for a 17', or wait about a year to buy. My parking area is just too small at the moment for a 19, but I think when I redo it, it will have a much different feel.
1998 17' SC -- Sold

Flying Arima

If you are seriously considering chasing tuna I wouldn't even consider a 17. The 17 is a good boat but lacks fuel capacity and even if you add capacity you still need to remeber that it's a 17ft boat. I have a 19ft chaser and don't regret buying it.
James

2015 19ft sea chaser / REEL TYME
2015 yamaha 115

FryFish

I should clarify, that I have a pretty good network of real tuna boats that I fish off of as crew each year. So my freezer and pantry are usually pretty well stocked.

When I say tuna, I would be happy going 1-2x per year and only keeping something like 6-8 fish. I mostly want to get my Dad in on the experience a few times, and get the experience of running my own trip.

The primary use for the boat would be fall chinook in the river mouth, nearshore bottomfish, and CR springers.

Still seem unrealistic for a 17'?
1998 17' SC -- Sold

Danno

Quote from: FryFish on January 16, 2017, 09:48:16 AM
I should clarify, that I have a pretty good network of real tuna boats that I fish off of as crew each year. So my freezer and pantry are usually pretty well stocked.

When I say tuna, I would be happy going 1-2x per year and only keeping something like 6-8 fish. I mostly want to get my Dad in on the experience a few times, and get the experience of running my own trip.

The primary use for the boat would be fall chinook in the river mouth, nearshore bottomfish, and CR springers.

Absolutely! Including the occasional tuna trip.
2015 19' Sea Chaser (2019 to current)
1998 19' Sea Ranger (2003 to 2008)

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Omega3

A member just posted his 17SC and it looks like he has it all decked out for Tuna.Not sure I would want that much loose fuel on deck but thats just me.For its primary use on the river it would be great.I see a lot of aluminum boats in your price range and many more of them.Just a thought.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

Flying Arima

Quote from: FryFish on January 16, 2017, 09:48:16 AM

Absolutely not the 17ft arima will catch just as many salmon as a 19, plus you will probably be able to get more for your money buying a 17er. I wish you luck and have fun shopping what a exciting time.
James

2015 19ft sea chaser / REEL TYME
2015 yamaha 115

FryFish

Quote from: Omega3 on January 16, 2017, 10:45:36 AM
A member just posted his 17SC and it looks like he has it all decked out for Tuna.Not sure I would want that much loose fuel on deck but thats just me.For its primary use on the river it would be great.I see a lot of aluminum boats in your price range and many more of them.Just a thought.

Looks like a great boat. Only problem for me, a fixed top/pilot house like that won't work for me, I need to have the option of going open for trolling in traffic
1998 17' SC -- Sold

FryFish

Thanks for all the other advice. I have a line on a 17' Ranger that I might look at this week.

It has 4 strokes, only downside is, they are mercurys. If they were hondas or yamahas, I'd buy it in a second
1998 17' SC -- Sold

Yachter Yat

Fry:  I got to stand on a 17 Ranger last year.  Didn't seem to have enough deck space for my taste.  My 16 SC deck feels like a dance hall by comparison.  I think a Sea Hunter might even have more deck space.  Great camper though.  Personally, I'd like to see Arima stretch the Explorer by 9" and steal 2" out of the cabin.  IMHO, adding 11" to the Explorer deck, while still providing an adequate amount of cuddy room, could prove to be a popular alternative to the existing Arima line. 

Yat

Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

FryFish

Still on the hunt. I've learned a lot. Met some great people on this site. Had some close ones. One is perfect but only has 70hp, another was great with a nice yamaha 90, but no title and 1982 hull.

I have settled in on a 17' Ranger or Chaser.

How much should I expect prices to go up as we get into the spring months? I think I've upped my budget to around 16K if I can find what i'm looking for. Would rather spend more and get what I want.
1998 17' SC -- Sold

StreamFixer

FF

I got my 19SC in March, had a 90 (which was OK as I had a 115 on my 17SC to swap).  Prices may move, however, my experience with Arima's --- not so much.  Their price is pretty steady.  The only BIG differences you may see is east coast boats, then you have to beat Jimmy to the deal...  :whistle: 

19SC's are hard to find as there have not been many made...  around 200 is a number that sticks in my mind for some reason.  Once folks get one, they tend to keep them.  Mine will likely be available in about 10 years if son-in-law does not want it.

Figure about $3K to get the boat to the west coast, whether you ship it (listen to the guys on here who have done that as there are some serious basics you need to know) or go get it, price just about equals out...

Once you have fished an SC, you will not be happy with a SR of same length...  17SC dance floor about same as 19SR  -- 21 dance floor about same as 19SC

Motor HP:  90HP seems to be a sweet spot size for a 17, 115 for a 19, 140-150 for a 21.  You can always go up or down from there...  Propping for the motor/boat always helps.

StreamFxier
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

troll4fish

Fry,
I too was doing the same thing you are 2 years ago. I kept looking and found a 1995 17SC in Astoria OR that needed repowered. The boat was an 8, the trailer was a 6 and it was bare of any electronics. I paid $7500 for it plus a grand to drive RT from Denver to go get it (during January winter was risky but worked out) I got it home and took off the 83 Evinrude 115 2 stroke and cleaned it up and sold it for $1500 so I had 7k in the project. I repowered with a rebuilt with warranty 2003 Mercury (Yamaha built for mercury) 90hp 4 stroke EFI for $6K and a brand new 8HP Honda power tilt full remote kicker on the Arima fixed bracket for a total of $3200. With new electronics, rebuilding the trailer, new convertible top and all the fishing goodies like new Scotty's, rod holders, radar tower, used furuno radar and so much more I now have just at $24k into it. I think your budget may be a bit low. What I found when I was looking was real nice boats with a high price tag or real rough boats that needed way to much work and money but I knew that boat I was looking for to fit my budget was out there so keep looking but you may have to travel far to get it and you may want to consider a boat that needs repowered and some work that you can nickel and dime together over a period of a year or two like I did. Just my two cents!

Tim
92 Sea Chaser 17
2004 (2015 total rebuild) Mercury 90 EFI 4 stroke
2014 Honda 8hp full remote power tilt!