News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Looking for a 19' SC

Started by FryFish, January 01, 2017, 07:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FryFish

Hey guys,

First time poster here. My name is Ryan, I'm 32 and live in Oregon. I fish the ocean quite a bit as a boat ho. Looking to finally buy one of my own. I've settled on Arima, because I want the capability to get out to Tuna, but also a boat that is small enough to fish the bay/river mouth.

I generally only fish 2 people, and I'm pretty happy to keep doing that. So I'm keeping a 17' as an option, but hoping for a 19. Looking for 4stroke power from 2000 or newer.

My budget is around 12K, but would push it to 15K for a 19'.

I'd appreciate any tips or suggestions. Kind of wondering if I need the 19' to just fish 2 guys, but seems the extra deck space would be good for crabbing
1998 17' SC -- Sold
2021 17' SC - Suzuki 90hp - Yamaha F8

Markshoreline

Yes the extra 2 feet make quite a difference.  Keep your options open to rangers, though a bit less deck space you'll find the larger cuddy is a luxury if you need to overnight.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

La-Z-Buoy

Welcome Ryan.

A 19SC has about the best fishing space (dance floor) to boat size in the Arima line. That being said they are pretty hard to come by and so are generally more costly. A compromise between the 17 SC and 19 SC is the 19 SR and more of those come available as a rule. You get about 8" more dance floor than a 17 SC with the rest of the 2 feet size difference taken up by the larger cuddy. An older 19SR with an older 4 stroke will probably still be somewhat above your higher budget limit. Although some jems do come along. With that in mind look hard and often and when one surfaces have your money in hand and the pickup running!!!! You should also be willing to get a fixer upper. When one is willing to work on their boat as opposed to having a dealer do the work the labor rates are MUCH better.

Good luck in your search. Where bouts in OR will your "new to you boat", when you get it, be fishing? If I'm close I'm willing to help in your quest if I can.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

StreamFixer

A 19SC has just come onto our board...

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

FryFish

Thanks for the replies. Between this board and ifish, I'm learning quite a bit already.

That 19SC that just popped up looks great! Just about 10K more than I can spend...
1998 17' SC -- Sold

beancounter

You need to up your budget if you want a decent 19 with four stroke power as Lazy Buoy pointed out. If you really want a 19SC with a skip I would make an offer on the one on the board for sale. He started way too high and seems open to offers. As Russ pointed out there aren't many around and they usually go quick. You are fortunate this is a good time of year to bargain and the market is soft .

Annie Time

We have a guy coming to look later this month. The price is good for the value in this boat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FryFish

I feel like a skip would not be good for visibility,  I want to have the option of an open boat for trolling in traffic.

Working on upping the budget, and really considering a 17'.  Each month that I don't find one...

1998 17' SC -- Sold

Markshoreline

Hope you've ridden in a 17 and 19- big difference!  If u can only afford one boat go for the 19- moving up is $$$ expensive!

Rokefin

Ryan
I fish a 89 17 foot Chaser, it is an ocean only boat and you DEFINATELY want a skip top with the canvas....visibility is not a problem but I tend to stay away from the fleet. If you get an early Arima with out Skip or with out canvas you will be soaked with salt water daily - it will sour your fishing days.

The 17 footer works but if I could I would go with the 19 Chaser with skip. It is nice to have a good cover out there to protect from the elements....if I could get a 21 I would, if I could get a 23 footer I would, 25 foot yes, 32 foot yes......try to buy a little more than you can afford - you won't regret it:)

wedocq

Quote from: Annie Time on January 02, 2017, 07:59:16 PM
We have a guy coming to look later this month. The price is good for the value in this boat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A fairly priced Arima would never last til later this month. But who knows? It's winter, maybe this spring buyers will be jumping over each other to get to you.
-Shawn
-
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

FryFish

I'm back and forth on buying a really cheap boat. Like one of the 17's I see available for 5K, and trying it out, fixing it up, selling to get a bigger one. VS Getting a bigger nicer one from the get go.

Does a skip top fold down? Are the fold down tops practical for ocean fishing at all?

Another question: Does anyone know the width of the 19+ trailer vs width of 17 + trailer?
1998 17' SC -- Sold

Hydro-Therapy

FryFish the overall with of the 17 and the 19 will be the same depending on what width of trailer you get. It will be 96"or 102"

It is also much economical to get the largest boat you can afford from the get go. As customizing it to your liking can get expensive doing it once let alone X2.

H-T   
Fish forever Work whenever !!!!!
"89" 19SR Keith 115 Merc. 15 4s kicker W/trollmaster Raymarine A70D

La-Z-Buoy

Quote from: FryFish on January 03, 2017, 07:20:39 PM
I'm back and forth on buying a really cheap boat. Like one of the 17's I see available for 5K, and trying it out, fixing it up, selling to get a bigger one. VS Getting a bigger nicer one from the get go.Depends on how much time and money you want to invest in fixing up your current small boat to upsize later. Or do you want to just do it once and go fishing? And your available budget of course.

Does a skip top fold down? Are the fold down tops practical for ocean fishing at all? Pretty sure the skip tops do not fold down. I think the usefulness of the fold down (canvas) top is a personnel preference.

Another question: Does anyone know the width of the 19+ trailer vs width of 17 + trailer?   Assuming the trailer is wider than the boat (most are) it depends entirely on the trailer. 17's and 19's and for that matter the 21's are the same width.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

FryFish

Thanks for the quick response guys!

My parking area has a 106" width, so sounds like I won't have to cut my gate down to get in, but will quickly have to redo the entrance once I buy one.
1998 17' SC -- Sold

Markshoreline

Nah!  Even with the widest trailer (102") you'll have 2" clearance on either side!!! :jester:

croaker stroker

I have the same issue. After smashing and splintering my gate several times, i finally found a solution....a "Power Caster"....works Great !!  2" clearance, no problem !

Another good solution is a front mounted hitch like Streamfixer's.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

FryFish

Quote from: markshoreline on January 03, 2017, 07:43:02 PM
Nah!  Even with the widest trailer (102") you'll have 2" clearance on either side!!! :jester:

OK, maybe I'd be firing up the chainsaw after a few failed attempts!

Good thing the gate needs to go anyway...
1998 17' SC -- Sold

Jeff

Croaker, I had to google Power Caster.  I thought it was some type of lawn edger...   :jester:
1989 Sea Sprinter
2005 Yamaha 60hp  ***Sold***

1989 Sea Chaser
2013 Honda 90hp *** 2020 Yamaha 9.9

Markshoreline

:dance:the guy who I bought my 21 from lived in a tight neighborhood on Vancouver BC and parked the boat in a driveway off an alley with no clearance anywhere!  He had a device like Croakers but it only had two tires on the same axle.  Very handy for tight quarters!

croaker stroker

Quote from: Jeff on January 03, 2017, 08:36:22 PM
Croaker, I had to google Power Caster.  I thought it was some type of lawn edger...   :jester:

:jester:    They are expensive but you can sometimes find good working used ones around $500.  Very old company.   Hand made in the USA.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Diablo

Quote from: markshoreline on January 03, 2017, 08:51:25 PM
:dance:the guy who I bought my 21 from lived in a tight neighborhood on Vancouver BC and parked the boat in a driveway off an alley with no clearance anywhere!  He had a device like Croakers but it only had two tires on the same axle.  Very handy for tight quarters!

I think what Mark is talking about is Trailer Valet. It is not powered except by a manual drive crank. Brake is on when you let the steering handle drops. I have one and it works good on level ground. I use it to hook up when I'm doing that by myself.
My boat parking spot is off an alley and the parking spot has a slight slope away from the alley. I thought I could use the Valet to put the boat back in its spot after fishing. Well first time I used it the boat started going too fast so I dropped the brake handle and the valet just skidded until the wheel chocks stopped it. Didn't do that anymore.  :facepalm: Now I push it in with the trucks front hitch ball.

https://www.trailervalet.com/
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

croaker stroker

I have to push up hill. The Power Caster has a powerful motor with low gear. Has plenty of torque to push my boat up my steep driveway.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

FryFish

I'm looking at a 19' SR in the next few days.

Priced at 15,000. 1991 hull, 91 Johnson 2 stroke.

Assuming it is in good shape, what do you guys think of this price?
1998 17' SC -- Sold

First Cabin

Quote from: FryFish on January 07, 2017, 05:39:06 PM
I'm looking at a 19' SR in the next few days.

Priced at 15,000. 1991 hull, 91 Johnson 2 stroke.

Assuming it is in good shape, what do you guys think of this price?

Not a fan of the 91 Johnson 2 stroke.  It might last a long time, but it may blow up on your second trip.   Are you prepared financially to replace it?
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8