News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Looking for a 17-19 sea ranger

Started by pezfuerte, May 20, 2016, 01:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pezfuerte

I've been doing a lot of research on different boats, and everything I've been looking at continues to steer me towards an Arima Sea Ranger.  It fits into my main criteria of being seaworthy, good fishing platform, relatively lightweight, and fuel efficient.  My tow vehicle is rated to 5,000lbs, but I don't want a boat/trailer/gear that's going to be pushing that number, and most other boats I've looked at in and around the 19ft range are around 3,000 - 3,500lbs dry.  When you add motor, fuel, gear you're getting right up there.  So I really like what I see with Arima boats, the only problem is that I'm in San Diego which makes me about as far as possible from where most of these boats are sold used in the Pac Northwest.  I'm patient, and have been looking at craigslist for months, but am also getting antsy to replace my current center console with something a bit nicer.  If anyone has or is thinking of selling one here in southern california, or even central cal let me know.  Ideally I'm looking for something a little newer, hopefully mid to late nineties or newer, as I'm thinking this is the boat for the long haul that I'm going to have for many more years.  I'm also going on a road trip up to Oregon in August, so I have been thinking of looking in that area when the time gets closer and if I find the right one, just trailering it home after the trip.  Thanks for any and all help.

FINREAPER

There's a 17 sea ranger for sale in San Diego... He's asking a nice price for it too.

It's an older hull, but don't let that change your mind, these boats are tough! Many older hulls still out there hauling in fish. Mine is an 86, and no problems with it. Put some trim tabs and spray rails on it and your good to go. It has newer power too.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/arima-sea-ranger-17-w-2011-90hp-tohatsu-tldi-for-9800.611657/
17 SR Chicken Hawk of The Sea

La-Z-Buoy

Just went through that thread. Price is down to $8500.00. Certainly worth a look.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

amazing grace

based on your tow rig a 19sr will be pushing your limits. Sounds like a 17' is perfect.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

stinkytofu

I'm towing my 19' HT with an old land cruiser that's rated at 5000lb rating limit.  It feels like nothing's back there.  What type of vehicle you towing with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stinkytofu

Markshoreline

I tow my 21 HT and tandem trailer with a V6 4Runner to Nootka and back.  5,000 is ok.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

pezfuerte

Believe me, I looked at the one in SD.  It was actually originally posted back in December, and then disappeared from Craigslist until now.  I went and looked at the boat and talked with the owner about it and there were just too many problems to make it worth it.  My last two boats have been old, and plagued with continuous little problems.  It seems like every other time I go out I'm having to fix this or that on the boat or trailer.  The price on the SD boat is right, but there is a lot of rust on the trailer which would need new spring/bearings at a minimum.  Lots of little things on the boat as well, and even though the motor is newer, after talking with the owner it seemed like there were several underlying "mystery" issues that were potential major problems.  Basically it has too many problems or potential problems and I'm ready to own a boat that isn't a constant can of worms.  I know all boats, even new ones have issues and need maintenance, and I love working on boats, just don't want one where I'm constantly trying to diagnose problems and then fix them.

I drive a diesel Mercedes Sprinter Van 2500.  It's got solid torque, and diesels are good engines for towing so I'm not to worried about a 19.  I think at that length I am still well within the limits of my rig.

FINREAPER

Inland boat center in Perris has a few brand new ones. They have a 19' chaser I would love to get my mitts on.

stinkytofu

Quote from: pezfuerte on May 22, 2016, 08:57:57 AM
Believe me, I looked at the one in SD.  It was actually originally posted back in December, and then disappeared from Craigslist until now.  I went and looked at the boat and talked with the owner about it and there were just too many problems to make it worth it.  My last two boats have been old, and plagued with continuous little problems.  It seems like every other time I go out I'm having to fix this or that on the boat or trailer.  The price on the SD boat is right, but there is a lot of rust on the trailer which would need new spring/bearings at a minimum.  Lots of little things on the boat as well, and even though the motor is newer, after talking with the owner it seemed like there were several underlying "mystery" issues that were potential major problems.  Basically it has too many problems or potential problems and I'm ready to own a boat that isn't a constant can of worms.  I know all boats, even new ones have issues and need maintenance, and I love working on boats, just don't want one where I'm constantly trying to diagnose problems and then fix them.

I drive a diesel Mercedes Sprinter Van 2500.  It's got solid torque, and diesels are good engines for towing so I'm not to worried about a 19.  I think at that length I am still well within the limits of my rig.

The vehicle that transported my 19' cross from NH to CA was a sprinter diesel with a 5000lb cap.  You're well within your range.  Enjoy the search!

pezfuerte

Glad to hear someone else is towing a 19 SR with a Sprinter.

I actually went up and took a look at the 2016 Arimas at the inland boat center, believe me they are awesome, just too far out of my price range.  I told them to give me a call if they get any used ones back, but they said pretty much everyone who buys one loves it and they hardly ever get any back.  Can't same I'm surprised about that.  Finding the right used Arima is like trying to find a unicorn!

FINREAPER

Those new boats are out of my price range too, but they sure are nice.

FWIW, I haven't seen any new Arima's in SoCal for sale. The only ones that pop up are older hulls (mid 80's). There are some around, but yeah... Nobody wants to sell them.

If it has to be a newer hull, I would start looking in central Cal and north.

pezfuerte

Been looking in the Bay Area craiglist along with Portland and Seattle.  I'm hoping that if I don't find one before August I can find a good one up north and trailer it home since I'm doing and oregon/washington road trip with the wife then.  We'll see what happens.

Salmon King

Now if you were in the market for a Chaser...

I just happen to know a guy that's got a pretty nice Chaser with a custom Skiff Top he'd sell.
Really nice outfitted with modern electronics and elec. DR's.
Motor is an Etec 90 with less than 300 hrs. on it and it sits on a Brand new trailer too!
The guy hardly uses it anymore...maybe a few times a year for shrimping and crabbing but he does most all of his Salmon fishing from the beach or in a small boat.
Last time I checked he was going to ask $20k OBO for it.
It's not officially listed For Sale but I know he'd let it go for the right price.

I think there's a some Shrimp and Crab gear that might come with it too, along with some boat rods and reels...

It's located up here in in the Motherland though...

But again...it's not the Ranger you're looking for.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

blindmonkey

Sounds like the TotallyWerken I have read so much about  :jester:
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

amazing grace

Just to chime back in a bit. I know Mark has towed his 21SR with a V6 toyota and there are others who have towed a 19 with a 5000# rated rig. But my experience was towing a 19SR Skiptower, moderately loaded. My usual trip was 50+ miles one way, so not typical I know. Always towed with either an older tundra with a 4.7l V8. A Chevy 1/2 ton pu or a 1/2 ton Suburban both with the Vortec 5.7l V*8 and I can honestly tell you I would not of wanted to tow my 19SR skiptower with any less of a rig, period.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Salmon King

Quote from: blindmonkey on June 01, 2016, 05:05:28 PM
Sounds like the TotallyWerken I have read so much about  :jester:

Yes BM...

FahrFrumWerken is going on the block...at least that's MY plan (she might want me to keep it though...even though she steadfastly refuses to get in it).
I'll have an official ad and pictures coming soon.  I need to perty her up a bit 1st.
I've decided to sell while we still have a Salmon Season and boats are worth something.
IMO...in the not so distant future there will be a glut of used boats on the market.

But mostly because as I said before...I just don't use it and it just takes up space in the shop.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

Markshoreline

Yes, almost 400 miles each way from Seattle to Gold River loaded with fuel, ice and supplies.  The trip goes over the mountains down the spine of Vancouver Island.  The newer 4 runners are awesome and get a thrifty 12 mpg!   :jester:
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

pezfuerte

I'm not totally opposed to a Sea Chaser 19.  Only reason I am leaning towards the Ranger is because we plan to do plenty of overnight and longer trips on her and I want to make sure that my wife and I have enough room to sleep on it comfortably.  Then again we sleep in our sprinter crosswise which is about 6'3" in length and I'm 6'2", and I almost prefer that bed to the one at home.  So nothing wrong with being a little bit tight.  Either way, an Oregon/Washington purchase isn't going to happen for me until August when we'll already be up there.  If anything comes up sooner closer to so cal then I would be ready to jump on it.

As far as the differences between the chaser and ranger, my understanding is they are the same hull, with the ranger having more room in the cabin and the chaser having more room on the deck for fishing.  Am I correct in this?  Is there a weight difference between the chaser and ranger in the 19 model?

blindmonkey

You could buy a Chaser and do what I did, I had a sloping canvas made. You can comfortably sleep 2 guys on the deck that way as we did last summer in Nootka. Bonus is the extra fishing room during the day. I have a washdown  pump so getting a clean deck is quite easy.  :twocents:
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

stinkytofu

Um...  Y'all seen this?!  http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/boa/5616231726.html

Not mine, but seems like a steal here in NorCal!

amazing grace

The 19hp kicker is reason enough to buy this boat :smile1:

I think this is the boat that has been for sale for sometime, not sure why. Could be a different one though. Does seem like a nice set up to make an offer on. :food:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Back bay

I went an looked at that one yesterday  I think the Arima boats are aussom and that's exactly what im looken for just a little newer if there is anyone out there that wants to sell an Arima 19 or a 21 let me know please