News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

looking for 60HP to 80HP Mercury 2 stroke or 4

Started by KP, May 18, 2016, 10:57:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KP

my 75HP merc blew up the other day.  needing a replacement.  anyone out there have a 2 stroke they are looking to let go of that is in good working order??  let me know ASAP 360-410-175ONE
16' Sea Chaser w Honda 75HP
Rowing dory
SUP

sida

Hello
Before I sell my 60 HP Merc need to find out if this guy will deal on his 4 st Yamaha but will let you know.
Since I'm new on this forum some one tel me how to post a wanted add?ked every where for POST botton! THANKS

KP

so, i found a 90HP Merc that is in good working order.  however, my 1991 16'SC is rated only for 80HP.  Guessing that a tired 90HP from 1990 isn't running as strong as it use to and should not overpower the boat.  additionally, it weighs only a few more pounds than the 75.  Having a hard time locating a 75.  did discover ONE up on Vancouver Is.  1990 75HP Merc.  Dave's Boat Sales.  Tells me he sells engines all day long - anyone have experience with or know of this character.  Sounds like a good fella over the phone - but I'm always a bit weary when dropping 2k on a hunch...
Rowing dory
SUP

BK1983

Putting on a 90hp when your only rated for 80hp wont go over well with your insurance or the Coast Guard. But I do think I remember it being mentioned that Arima increased hp rating for some boats. You can call them to find out for sure and get a new sticker from them.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. T.S. Eliot
1999 Sea Ranger 19 HT,  2019 BF 115

sida

I live on the Island and try to look into it for you .The lower the HP the chances are better to find fresh water motor as we have lots of lakes here and I haven't heard from my guy yet.Sid

KP

well, discovered a 1990 60HP Mercury 2 stroke in Marysville - fella says he's a Mercury Master Mechanic?  Not sure how that get's verified?  He has a couple engines for sale - seems a side biz?  Also, discovered a mid-90's 75HP Mercury 2 stroke on Vancouver Is.  Doug's Boat Sales.  Apparently he takes in engines that were on lease - works with the dealerships in NW Canada.  Mostly Yamaha's - but he gets the occasional Mercury 4 stroke and 2 stroke.  He checks out after making some calls around the island and talking with a few marina's.  Anyone had dealings with Doug on Vancouver Is? 

Well, flip of a coin toss.  Had no luck convincing my wife we should drop 9k and put a 60HP Suzuki 2 stroke on the boat.  :bowdown: Maybe in a few years.  Might decide to jump up a few feet and go with 19.  So, in that way sticking with what I am set up for makes sense.  Hoping this 75 does the trick for that stretch.  I know people love the 4 strokes - and there seems to be plenty of folks who also talk highly of 2 strokes from back in the day.  Just loud and smokey.  But hey, so be it... :shrug9:

thanks for input fellas
Rowing dory
SUP

sida

Lately I'm funding out that there are lots of boaters that prefer 2 St.motor over 4 st .why ?they believe the 2 St last longer and less expensive also lighter !

sida

Lately I'm funding out that there are lots of boaters that prefer 2 St.motor over 4 st .why ?they believe the 2 St last longer,lighter and less expensive.

rclark4179

KP, if you are still in the market I may have a deal for you. I have an 80s 70HP Evenrude currently on a 15ft
Glasply that I was planning on selling next week. Boat and trailer are both titled.  The boat is currently in La Conner. I have not ran it since 2014 but it was put away winterized and has been under a tarp. It needs a battery (which I have). Control/cable lengths should be ok.Before I get I into all the details, let me know if you are interested. I will be in Bow for the Memorial Day weekend or could meet you sooner depending on what works for you. 1500.00
Fish do not fear my name...crab however, do, and should.

81 15' Hunter "SKUA", 40 hp MERC, British Seagull kicker (SOLD)
85 17' Chaser, "SKUA II"' 90 hp MERC,9.9 Yamaha

Wyrguy

Quote from: KP on May 20, 2016, 09:53:11 PM

Also, discovered a mid-90's 75HP Mercury 2 stroke on Vancouver Is.  Doug's Boat Sales.  Apparently he takes in engines that were on lease - works with the dealerships in NW Canada.  Mostly Yamaha's - but he gets the occasional Mercury 4 stroke and 2 stroke.  He checks out after making some calls around the island and talking with a few marina's.  Anyone had dealings with Doug on Vancouver Is? 

thanks for input fellas

KP, I sent you a PM yesterday with my contact info asking for some more info about Doug's Boat Sales... No response?

WyrGuy Rick
'Arima Therapy' - Life begins where the land ends!
2012 Sea Legend HT, blue hull, S/S 6 rod rocket launcher/radar arch
F250XCA O/S T9.9 Yamahas Yamaha Command Link Plus  iTroll throttle control
Aluminum I-beam EZ Loader trailer
Raymarine E120W, Digital HD Colour radar, Two Scotty HP 2106 DRs

KP

thanks for the reply's fellas.  looking forward to connecting with you both.  Definitely would love some beta on Doug's Boat Sales on Vancouver Is. and I am somewhat interested in that 80's 2 stroke.  more conversation re that engine would be great.  give me a holler at 36ZERO-410-175ONE

Gotta pull the trigger here in couple days if I want to go for the engine on Vancouver Is.   :bigshock:

Also have a 60HP located - wondering what members think?  60HP or 75HP engine.  I opted not to break the Coastie code and piss off my insurance co by going to a 90HP.  Too much!  I like the lighter weight of the 60HP but wondering how much I am loosing by going with a 75HP? 

Thanks for any input....
Rowing dory
SUP

blindmonkey

Note that on Arima site the 16 SC is rated for max 100hp. Not saying you need it however  good to know ratings.
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

KP

wonder if that is a newer version of 16' SC.  my tag on the boat reads 80HP.  think I remember someone saying that ARima did alter some of those tags later on?  Not sure what the difference would be - weight of boat?  Or maybe they played it conservatively at onset?
Rowing dory
SUP

rbreckel

I have a 2001 Merc 60hp tiller with a new big foot lower end on it that I was thinking about selling in the next year or two and put a new 60 hp on my Aluminum sled.  It has been maintained regularly and runs like a top, so pm me if you are interested and we'll talk more about it.
1992 19" Sea Ranger

Yachter Yat

KP:

The 16 Arimas were recertified for 100 HP some years ago.  You can get a new sticker from Belinda at Arima.  There was a charge, but just can't remember what it was. Simply paste it over the old on the boat. Mine is still in my boat file.  No need to use it as I'll be running my new Honda 60. 

BTW, after years with a 45 on mine, I feel that 60 four stroke is going to be quite sufficient on that hull.

All the best,  Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)