News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Sea Ranger 17 cabin windows leaking. Sealant?

Started by metalwrkr, May 19, 2023, 09:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalwrkr

The side windows on my Sea Ranger's cabin are leaking.  They are just a piece of lexan or plexi glass that is bedded with sealant and screwed around the window hole.  What is the recommended sealant? I would like to stay away from silicone if possible.  Appreciate any input.
metalwrkr:  Sent from my rotary phone.  I have two speeds; Dead Slow and All Stop
05 17SR
06 Honda 90
2016  Honda 8 kicker
05 EZloader oil bath

christianbrat

1989 Sea Explorer 16 w/ Custom Pilot House
2007 Honda BF90 & 2002 BF5
Built not Bought

If I could be an appliance I would be a toaster

davidsea

1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Yachter Yat

metalwrkr:  Just my opinion, but I'd be more in favor of black LifeSeal. If you want it to come-out looking 'professional', before applying the sealant, use strips of painter's tape to get thin, straight lines along the frames.
   Pretty easy to do:  Apply tape, LifeSeal and swipe with thumb. You might be pleasantly surprised at how this works.  Oh yeah...just don't wait too long before removing the tape.  :wink: 

Yat

Edit:  Forgot to mention......be sure you thoroughly clean any wax off the surfaces to be sealed.  Also, when removing the tape, try to pull it off in the 'opposite' direction of the sealant. 
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Keel-er

I made acrylic replacement windows for my SR and used Lifeseal but clear.  Works great.
1986 Sea Ranger 17 "Nancy Lyn"-Sold
2020 Yamaha F90
1995 Sea Ranger 19
2023 Tohatsu 140
2020 Yamaha 9.9

AJFishin

I did like Yat suggested and I use Boatlife Lifeseal, but used clear like Keel-er, it's also good for a lot of other stuff, and no leaks.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

martin3

I re-sealed my windows with Black Life-Seal and 3m tape.
Came out perfectly.

I also used same to re-bed my front hatch glass.
It came loose on one corner and started leaking.
That was a PITA...but it came out really good as well.
MJM3

1990 SR Skip Top  "Gypsea Soul"
2013 Etec 115H.O.