News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Speaking of Ethanol...fueling up for first time: Advice

Started by SB Steve, August 27, 2017, 03:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker stroker

No sense in worrying about it. Non-ethanol is too hard to find. I just fuel up at the gas station and go.

*** I avoid marine fuel docks like the plague.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

SB Steve

Quote from: Yachter Yat on August 30, 2017, 05:49:12 AM
    About octane:   Keep in mind........gasoline in a vented tank will lose a certain amount of its octane rating over time.  Do a little research on this and you may rethink your decision regarding your fuel choice.  Lower octane fuels have a higher rate of detonation........not something you want in your outboard.  My father used to jokingly describe it this way:  High octane goes "Woosh".........Low octane goes "Bang".  (He had a unique way of educating stupid kids)  (ha ha)

Yat
I like "woosh"....Thanks Yat!

SB Steve

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on August 30, 2017, 12:58:28 PM

No sense in worrying about it. Non-ethanol is too hard to find. I just fuel up at the gas station and go.

*** I avoid marine fuel docks like the plague.
I will take your advice CS!!  Gas up and go!! Seeing as you are a Socal boater who probably doesn't have a problem with idle fuel, do you use any additives like Startron?

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

SB Steve

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Tj805

Get some k 100 .
I've been useing it in three outboards and none of them have had any problems .
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

Sparhawk

Quote from: SB Steve on August 27, 2017, 03:39:47 PM
So I am fueling up my new to me/old Arima this week.  I have been running the engines off a remote 12 gallon tank for the moment.  Fortunately, the main tank was cleaned and emptied before I purchased the boat (which I assume is a 23 gallon based on the model year), and I have also purchased a new 3 gallon tank for the kicker.  All tanks have in-line filters, and I plan on adding a canister filter in the splash well for the main tank.

So I have an 88 Mercury 90 which was oil-injection but now runs off pre-mix as well as a 94 Mercury 8 kicker.  All 2 stroke.  I assume the oil ration is 50:1.  I believe also, I should be using 91 octane gas.  I don't think I need to worry about adding stabilizers, as I will be using the boat all year and not leaving any fuel sitting for too long.  Do I need to worry about adding additives to deal with ethanol?  I will be fueling up at a local Shell and Chevron which both have up to 10% ethanol.  Do I want to add any additives to deal with that?  Is the gas from these kind of stations recommended?

Thanks for the advice in advance.  This forum and its members has been so helpful thus far as I rig my boat since purchasing it last month.
Make sure the fuel nozzle goes in the fuel fill port and not a rod holder and don't ever top off the tank.
"God put me on this Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind I will never die" - Calvin and Hobbes

Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1991 Mercury 60 2-stroke