News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Salmon season canceled again

Started by Fisherdv, April 11, 2024, 07:38:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherdv

Salmon season is officially cancelled again this year off California and Oregon coast.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

fishmeister

Does that mean I'm going to cross paths with more Arimas this year bearing "CF" registration numbers? (Talked to one such guy last summer while out on my local waters).
1981 Sea Hunter  "iFish" (Oldest Arima on the forum??)
'22 Merc 60hp, '21 Merc 9.9 Kicker
1996 Lund WC12 (A tin can that wants to be an Arima)

ohmytodd

I'm not so sure of that, this is posted to ODFW:

4/10/2024 OCEAN SALMON ACTION NOTICE: The Pacific Fishery Management Council finalized their recommendations for 2024 ocean salmon seasons on Wednesday, April 10.  The adopted seasons will be available at the PMFC's website (www.pcouncil.org) in Preseason Report III, and graphics of the Oregon recreational and commercial troll seasons are available at www.dfw.state.or.us/mrp/salmon/

Seasons from May 16, 2024 forward are not official until final approval by the Secretary of Commerce and adopted by the Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission for waters within 3 nautical miles of shore.

Conservation concerns for both Sacramento and Klamath River fall Chinook salmon stocks were constraints on seasons from Cape Falcon through California.  This year's Columbia basin hatchery coho salmon abundance is forecast to be less than half of the preseason forecast abundance in 2023, but the natural production forecasts for both lower Columbia River and Oregon Coastal stocks are strong with coho quotas and seasons reflecting the available abundances.  Coho fisheries were most constrained by sharing of the Lower Columbia River Natural (LCN) coho and the Southern Oregon Northern California Coastal Coho (SONCC).

Recreational Season Summary:
The all-salmon season North of Cape Falcon will open on June 22 and continue through the earlier of September 30 or the hatchery mark-selective coho quota of 39,900.  There is also a guideline in this area for 12,510 Chinook.  The daily bag limit will be two salmon, but no more than one Chinook and all coho must have a healed adipose fin clip.  Minimum length for Chinook is 22" and the coho minimum length is 16".

Recreational Chinook seasons on the central Oregon Coast from Cape Falcon to Humbug Mt. opened on March 15 and will continue through October 31.  During October the fishery is only open shoreward of the 40-fathom management line.  The Chinook minimum length from Cape Falcon to Humbug Mt. is 24".

The area from Humbug Mt. to the OR/CA Border will open for recreational Chinook on May 16 and continue through August 31.  The Chinook minimum length from Humbug Mt. to the OR/CA Border is 24".

The hatchery mark-selective coho salmon season from Cape Falcon to Humbug Mt. will be open from June 15 through the earlier of August 18 or the Cape Falcon to OR/CA Border quota of 45,000 adipose fin-clipped coho. There will also be a non-selective coho season from Cape Falcon to Humbug Mt. which will be open September 1 through the earlier of September 30 or the quota of 25,000 non-mark selective coho (clipped or unclipped coho allowed). The coho minimum length from Cape Falcon to Humbug Mt. is 16".

From Humbug Mt. to the OR/CA Border, the hatchery mark-selective coho salmon season will be open from June 15 through the earlier of August 4 or the Cape Falcon to OR/CA Border quota of 45,000 adipose fin-clipped coho.  The shortened coho season in this area was a result of the conservation limitations for the Southern Oregon Northern California Coastal (SONCC) coho stock. The coho minimum length from Humbug Mt. to the OR/CA Border is 16".

All recreational anglers are limited to no more than 2 single point barbless hook per line when fishing for salmon, and for any species when salmon are on board the vessel.

1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

Fisherdv

The news clip I saw this morning said the decision was finalized to close season off California and Oregon coast. I haven't had time to research it further, but it's not looking good, especially in California.

Tj805

Such a bummer !
I miss it a lot .
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

Humboldt81

Boat definitely heading north to Brookings this year to catch a couple of those Sac fish. My read is that the S. Oregon season is open to Chinook May 16. Hope to find a nice weather window and purchase a 3 day license to make that 5.5 hour tow worth it. Gotta get my Chinook fix taken care of...even if its just setting the gear and trolling. 4 or 5 fish would be nice tho. :mememe:
Sam
2001 Arima SR 19 Hardtop
2017 Honda 150
2001 Honda 8 HP kicker (original)
Lowrance HDS 9 Gen2 Electronics (w/radar)

headduck

They pass us in WA but no constraints. How's that work?
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

croaker stroker

Oh well. We can always go out and try to catch our two allowed Vermillion Rockfish.  :gone_fishing:

....as long as we don't dare fish in the MLP areas  near the privileged folks property.  :jester:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Yachter Yat

Aye yi yi......it's enough to make a guy want to downsize. :facepalm:  :jester:  On this side, looks like we're still only going to be allowed one Cod per day, one Halibut per trip and one Bass. Atlantic Wolfish (my personal favorite) is still off the table.  Oddly enough, regs are still allowing up to 10 Haddock...although I have no idea why. :shrug9:  IMO, anything else is "dog food".  Unfortunately, having to run about 20 miles offshore to get any kind of groundfish makes it all useless.
   Now you know why I sometimes ask anyone looking at a big fishing boat..........."Whatcha gonna do with that?"

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Kimbrey

Just kind of curious as it seemed a few years ago some of the California streams were doing very well.  With all the closures and restrictions are the streams getting their escapement? My way of thinking since the past couple of years California has got a fair amount water back into the systems which should be helpful for salmon. Hopefully in another 3 or 4 years there'll be a good turnaround....hopefully.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

Fisherdv

Quote from: Kimbrey on April 13, 2024, 06:54:53 PMJust kind of curious as it seemed a few years ago some of the California streams were doing very well.  With all the closures and restrictions are the streams getting their escapement? My way of thinking since the past couple of years California has got a fair amount water back into the systems which should be helpful for salmon. Hopefully in another 3 or 4 years there'll be a good turnaround....hopefully.
Apparently the fisheries haven't recovered yet from the droughts and warm water temperatures a few years ago. The last few years we've had plenty of rain so I'm also expecting great numbers in a year or so.

Kimbrey

Quote from: Fisherdv on April 13, 2024, 07:46:22 PM
Quote from: Kimbrey on April 13, 2024, 06:54:53 PMJust kind of curious as it seemed a few years ago some of the California streams were doing very well.  With all the closures and restrictions are the streams getting their escapement? My way of thinking since the past couple of years California has got a fair amount water back into the systems which should be helpful for salmon. Hopefully in another 3 or 4 years there'll be a good turnaround....hopefully.
Apparently the fisheries haven't recovered yet from the droughts and warm water temperatures a few years ago. The last few years we've had plenty of rain so I'm also expecting great numbers in a year or so.
Hopefully the rains and probably more importantly snow pac keeps happening and then go through the cycle.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

Wiley

I think all the hatcheries but one had good returns if not great. But it only takes one. So stupid that everyone else gets to fish but Ca.
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!