News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Salmon Run Forecasts (WA)

Started by fishmeister, March 02, 2024, 08:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishmeister

The Washington salmon run size forecasts are out.  Here's a link for those interested:

https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/management/north-falcon/forecasts

Looks like a lot of areas are down in numbers this year.  A couple "bright spots" (for my area) are:  (1) Skagit River Coho are forecast for a 25K increase over last year.  Maybe this year we can go back to keeping fish with all of their fins  (2) Baker River Sockeye looks really good.  Last season was forecast for 31K and the actual run came in over double that.  This year, 56K is the forecast.  If that forecast comes in on-target or better, it's going to be a blast in Baker Lake again.
1981 Sea Hunter  "iFish" (Oldest Arima on the forum??)
'22 Merc 60hp, '21 Merc 9.9 Kicker
1996 Lund WC12 (A tin can that wants to be an Arima)

BayWolf

I'm really surprised the forecast isn't magnificent. 
It's usually stellar until after April when everyone buys their license, then the revisions and emergency closures start. 
"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:
WWW.Youtube.com/@Baywolf_Films

JDB

Yeah... About the forecasts: I trust that "science" as much as the VA telling me that they'll provide timely treatment for a service connected condition...

I keep buying my hunting and fishing licenses, but I get less and less opportunities each year - it must be inflation I guess.
'04 21 SR Skip '24 Merc 150 4S ProXS 04 Honda BF8
'19 Lund Fury 16SS '19 30HP ETEC

Action Front!

fishmeister

Quote from: JDB on March 04, 2024, 06:44:13 AMI trust that "science" as much as the VA telling me that they'll provide timely treatment for a service connected condition...

Just about as reliable as the "science" of a certain rodent that comes out of a hole every Feb 2nd.  He claimed an early spring this year.  Here it is, 04Mar, and it's dumping snow at my place and I'm staying home from work because the roads are a mess.  I'm calling B.S. on the groundhog.
1981 Sea Hunter  "iFish" (Oldest Arima on the forum??)
'22 Merc 60hp, '21 Merc 9.9 Kicker
1996 Lund WC12 (A tin can that wants to be an Arima)

BayWolf

Quote from: JDB on March 04, 2024, 06:44:13 AMI keep buying my hunting and fishing licenses, but I get less and less opportunities each year - it must be inflation I guess.

Hey, we get more "Opportunities every year.  Opportunities to stay home, try a new hobby or catch up on all the Honey Do's when our favorite fishers are closed early or severely restricted.  Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% for protecting our fish for future generations, but It HAS to be fairly applied across the user groups.

Cheer up though.  WDFW is now purely conservation driven, so they need your license money to conserve more fish for commercial operations.
"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:
WWW.Youtube.com/@Baywolf_Films

Barnaclebob

is there any good source of past data for initial forecast vs updated forecast, vs estimated actual returns?
2007 Sea Ranger 19
2021 Yamaha 115
2021 Yamaha 9.9

headduck

Each hatchery posts escapement reports. Believe all the info is there.  :beerchug:
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)