News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

AGM vs. Lead-Acid

Started by croaker stroker, February 25, 2024, 11:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker stroker

I am pretty sure my outboard charging system was designed for Lead-Acid batteries. Can it charge AGM batteries? ...or do I need something like this Toyota upgrade??
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer -  2024 Suzuki DF90a
2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec -**SOLD**
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

davidsea

I'm not a battery expert, but as I understand the difference in charging an AGM is in the RATE of charge, and the CUTOFF voltage.  AGMs like a higher current charge to desulfate their plates, but not a higher finishing voltage.  On the motors most of us use - 4-stroke outboards 90HP and up, with alternator/regulator charging systems, AGMs shouldn't be an issue.  The problem WILL exist with onboard or portable chargers used at home or moorage, since they're typically 10 amps or less,  and definitely with the typical trickle or maintenance chargers.   I wouldn't run them on older, smaller motors with low-output or unregulated charging.
   Most of the quality newer marine chargers will have 3 or 4 modes for the different battery types, which you select before charging.   These will provide the different voltages and current best suited for whatever type you're charging.   From what I've seen, the NOCO, ProMariner, and Schumann do, but the Guests don't. 
   I've settled on quality deep-cycle wet-cells with a permanent-mount NOCO charger in the boat.   I think that properly mounted and maintained, they're the best bang for the buck.   The 2 AGM's I had before suffered from a motor with pretty low charging current and an old-school small charger at home.   I was able to bring them back to health somewhat by using some bursts from a 50 amp commercial charger, but was unimpressed with the initial cost, hassle, and fairly short life.   If you're converting to AGM, GEL, or LIPO, I would add the cost of a really good charger into the math.   m2c   
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Yachter Yat

Call me old fashioned, but I'm with David.  I've always used deep-cycle wet cells. Swapped them for new every 3 or 4 years; whether needed or not, and never had a breakdown or trouble keeping them charged. Another plus is they were always less expensive. :shrug9:  I don't know who actually made them, but Sears Die Hard Marine/RV was my favorite. 

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

davidsea

Quote from: Yachter Yat on February 26, 2024, 08:26:54 AMCall me old fashioned, but I'm with David. 

Yat

Well, OK, if you insist..............you're old fashioned.   :wink:
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Yachter Yat

Yes! And as I'm sure you're probably aware; there are times when being "old fashioned" works best.  :wink:  :wink:

Yat :jester:
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)